Trooping without your fieldpack?

Darth Voorhees

hey all, i was just curious how many TD's out there frequently troop without their field packs? Seems a few people in my garrison find them annoying and only really use the packs for canon events.

My personal opinion is that the pack makes half the costume and i dont see much point in being a sandy if your not going to use the pack most of the time. Of course everyone is entitled to the off day when they dont wanna be bothered with it, but i mean in general i feel the pack makes the suit.

What do you guys do?

DISCLAIMER: there is no wrong answer here to each their own, just curious what other TD's are doing B)

I am a big pack guy. I love them and you are 100% correct, the pack is an important part of the TD costume. When they are built properly, they are very light and actually fairly comfortable. I personally would not troop my TD without it.

Special circumstances of course do call for not wearing it. Perfect example was the Hospital Troop we did. When visiting the kids in their rooms, I had to remove it so I could manuver without banging into stuff.

That was my old pack which was slightly oversized, this new one I am building will be the correct size and even lighter. I am shooting for about 7-8 lbs.

Here you can see the size difference between my old pack and the Novatrooper pack I built which is essentially the "Move Along" pack only all black.

Posted Image

Nice topic....to me it is all based on the event Im trooping. for example if im outside and there is plenty of room....its on....if im in a tiny little library...its off. im working on trying to get my kit down to 7 lbs. so it will basically seem like its not even there. :D :D :D

I am a big pack guy. I love them and you are 100% correct, the pack is an important part of the TD costume. When they are built properly, they are very light and actually fairly comfortable. I personally would not troop my TD without it.

I totally agree.

It's funny, when I started my TD I remember thinking the pack was just the one thing that could wait... and that, once I had it, I probably would only wear "now and then." But that is so different than what has actually happened. I love the pack! You're right too in that it's very light weight and comfortable. I've not worn it for 12 hours (yet) or anything yet, but still, it's really comfortable.

Here you can see the size difference between my old pack and the Novatrooper pack I built which is essentially the "Move Along" pack only all black.

Posted Image

I know it's not "accurate" but I love that old pack of yours. It looks so "real", and so "used". Very cool indeed!

I almost always wear mine and feel kind of awkward without it frankly, though it is more comfortable without. Now if the troop was going to be in a narrow area, say a comic store or someplace where the risk of knocking things off shelves was high, then I'd maybe not wear it. Its always a good idea to know your 'turning radius' too so you don't bump into someone or something.

Another instance is if its a long troop, then towards the end I may troop without it to give my back a respite.

I troop with mine about 99% of the time, I also agree it's a big part of the TD costume. In places like a hospital or somewhere where it might really be in the way, I will not but that is rare. I have it on all the time!

My pack only weights 3 kilos, so i have no problem wearing it.

But i only got a bicycle here, and public transport.

So i can only troop whit my pack, if i get picked out by car, or take a taxi or something.

A few month back, i buy a truck bicycle, so i can drive my son around in the city.

As Copenhagen is a very friendly bicycle city, we are 1,6 million people in the city, and most of us only use a bicycle.

Its more people coming in, and out of the city there use cars.

In the truck bicycle i can have a complete TD suit, but then the troop have to be in the area, as i will not bicycle crazy distance whit it :D

My pack:

Posted Image

Copenhagen:

Posted Image

Posted Image

i havnt worn my pack in a while. I'll wear it for formal events like parades and such, but regular troops its just far too big and unwieldy to bring out all the time. nor will it fit in my current car with the armortub. carpooling is fun.

My pack only weights 3 kilos, so i have no problem wearing it.

But i only got a bicycle here, and public transport.

So i can only troop whit my pack, if i get picked out by car, or take a taxi or something.

As much as I love to troop with my backpack, I am in the same situation as Rolf.

I don't own a car so I always take public transport to events. When on the go, I can only carry one thing on my back so it's either my BFG in a sniper bag or backpack.

And also the inconvenient of carrying the backpack on or off duty. I hate getting stares from the public in a crowded bus because all my stuff are taking up too much space. :(

Lastly, tight confined places meaning I risk losing or damaging my backpack. I lost a wet ones bottle during my last troop with my backpack. I almost cried as it's impossible to find a suitable and light replacement for the wet bottle. :(

I may have a medical issue with mine, as my back has a few wierd spots on it,so I may not be able to wear it for long periods of time...but I will wear it when I can and for how long I can...

It would look ok to me if you decided not to wear it but it does make the costume tho for what they wore in the movies.

ShortTrooper (Diana)

I have been trooping as a TD for about 4 years now. And almost always have worn my pack.

If I ever dont use it, it is for the same reasons everyone has already said: small crowded places, difficulty for transport, etc.

But then, I have come with a solution but have not applied it yet.

I think if I ever need to troop without a pack in the future, I will use my orange pauldron, no shoulder pouch (of course) and a T21.

That way, even if not wearing the while TD gear, I would still be very screen alike.

Now, I need to get me one of those BFGs!!! LOL!!

Saludos.

Same here,I trooped a kid's benefit in a bar and my tupperware lid came off in the cramped venue, a nice person gave it to me so luckily I did not lose it.That is probably why I stay away from the NYC troops because I do not want to bring the pack on a train (or subway-NOOOOO) I have no problem with my pack-I don't really feel it-the front strap that connect the shoulder straps help a lot(a tip picked up from this very site) If it is a troop I can drive to and not pay crazy cash to park,my pack is definitely with me.I see also that some Garrison mates do not wear their packs-while I feel the pack makes the armor of a MEPD deployed TD-I believe do what you want.I try not to judge anothers armor (except that youtube guy with the white moccasins)or what they wear because if you point a finger at someone else there are 3 pointing back----AT YOU! Adios, Dave

When i had my BFG,i had trooped at "canon" events without my pack, as long as i carried the BFG..as the Docking Bay 94 doesnt have a pack.

once myself and a mate "reinvented" my existing and never worn, heavy pack, and i sold my BFG, i never troop without it...lighter and it just 'makes' the ensemble

Personally, I've only done one event without my pack since putting my Sandtrooper together. At a con within our garrison, we have a "Trooper Olympics" and they were short one TK style armor. I wasn't about to compete with a pack and give myself a handicap. Other than that, I'd pretty much say that I'd go pack on for anything in my TD.

I wear my pack on almost all troops. The only time I've made exceptions are:

1) Rose Parade (LFL Event) - they specified no packs

2) When the event is in very tight quarters and we're inside, e.g. Pottery Barn Kids, some comic book stores

3) After a bunch of hours and I want a break. Then I'll de-pack for a bit, then put it back on after a rest

Otherwise, I can't imagine trooping w/o the pack - it really is a definitive part of the costume and ******* it (and the advil involved) is part of the feeling of satisfaction that one is doing more than others to look good :)

I can't imagine trooping w/o the pack - it really is a definitive part of the costume and ******* it (and the advil involved) is part of the feeling of satisfaction that one is doing more than others to look good :)

Thats pretty much how i feel.

This thread has become very interesting.It seems most of us try to troop with our packs whenever we can. Of course the small places and transport issues and such are exceptions. Pretty cool, im glad to see we are upholding to look our best!

Otherwise, I can't imagine trooping w/o the pack - it really is a definitive part of the costume and ******* it (and the advil involved) is part of the feeling of satisfaction that one is doing more than others to look good :)

I agree as well, the soreness is just par for the course. We had kid's fest event (twice a year) last month, that's 8 hours a day, two days in a row and I enjoyed rocking it but my shoulders were definitely sore on Monday lol. I actually feel naked with out it anymore, I trooped at the Ale House this past Saturday night up in Orlando (for Star Wars Weeeknds) and since it's packed with people in there, I opted not to wear it. Pretty rare occasion but around large and drunk crowds, I figured it was for the best!

• 2 weeks later...

i'll never troop my td without my pack!! - it is to me,the essence of the sandtrooper!!!!!

i recently trooped my tk for the first time since it was cleared with the uk garrison,although its super comfy,it feels strange to me not having something on my back.-so i'm doing spacetrooper with it!!!!!!! B) a lightweight and simple tank pack,but a pack none the less!!!