f0x's ATA TD Build

f0xtrooper

Finally the box arrived..excited....nervous...put on the imperial march...checked it was all there.......

Posted Image

.....then left it in the box for 3 weeks :unsure: Truth is ive waited so long for this (not just 6 weeks list time) that I was just to plain scared to mess any of it up. :unsure:

Well after some supportive words from the wife (she threatened to sell my armour if I didnt get on with it!) I got to work.

First up was the hand plates. I figured if theses went wrong i'd be able to replace them easy enough. After a bit of work with the lexan scissors...wow they made things easy...and a clean up with a file I had some quality handgaurds :) I created a velcro base and use some eyelets and elastic to attach then to my gloves.

Posted Image

Full of a new found courage I set to work on my next piece. Figured i'd do something else easy so I decided to build the helmet :wacko:

Posted Image

It went together pretty easily more thanks to Terrels quality moulds rather than my abilities! I painted on the tears, traps teeth using Humbrol paints just waiting on my sign vinyl to arrive so I can stencil the tube stripes.

I lined the inside of the helmet with upholstry foam and made a suitable chin strap to keep the helmet in place when I move around. Figured id not bother with a complete liner as I did on my ROTS clone bucket as this helmet will hopefully be trooped in!!

Posted Image

Im pretty dark skinned so there wasnt any need to paint the inside of the helmet but I did add some velcroed screen behind the teeth just in case. Stay tuned :trooper:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Ive trimmed out the main upper section of my armour. I finished off the edges with a dremmel grinding wheel on half speed. This left me smooth edges and allowed me to trim openings to my body shape.

Posted Image

I figured I would strap up the upper sections to get a closer look at where the build would lead me. (Plus I really wanted to try a lot of it on together B) ) The armour straps together using mostly snaps and elastic strips to give some flexibility of movement. To enable me to dress more easily and stop my armour from moving around too much I made a harness to go underneath.

Posted Image

The harness contains female poppers and I add more as and when is neccessary. Since the photo bellow I have added elastic for the shoulder bells. I will also be adding the voice wiring and suspenders for the thighs.

Posted Image

Anyway a bottle of wine or 2 later I convinced my missus to help me with a test fit.........after a lot of jokes about my cod piece and butt plate we managed to get everything pretty much secured or taped to me.......Excuse the hair :wacko:

Posted Image

And thes side excuse the chest drop, the elastic was a little to strong for the cheap masking tape

Posted Image

Lastly a cry for help. I will have to shim the sides a little but I am a bit unsure where the 6 rivets on the left hand side will go. I have marked where I think they go however this will leave a large gap between them because of the shim. are they in the right position?

Posted Image

All comments (except about my hair) are greatfully recieved. Stay tuned :trooper:

Mate give me a bell and I'll come round and give you a hand.

Marcus soon as term ends we'll hook up :pint1:

Small build update...mostly cause I like seeing pictures of myself in my armour :lol:

Finally got the back section sorted and the straps on the chest so at least now its a "clamshell" and I can get it on and off on my own. Chest is a bit small on me.....drawback of being a "talltrooper" but think my ammo pouch and pauldron will help cover a lot of the upper black area.

Posted ImagePosted Image

whilst looking over the photos I've discovered that my neckseal is infact a piece of junk and will be looking at getting that changed as soon as I can. Recieved my "sandy" sniper plate and buttons today so I guess its time to work on those legs!!

Ether your very tall or that's a small set of armour. The chest seems to be a bit low.

Actually its both (ATA Armour) I am very tall but have a long body..the chest has a minimal overlap (as much as I could get away with) over the ab plate. I suppose I could purchase a replacement chest but I am officially unemployed as of tomorrow and have to watch the pennies. So for the moment its a smaller chest piece :6:

Your not going back after the school holidays mate?

No, found out last week they arent going to renew my contract (budget cuts :( ) Things are going to be tight for a while. Im sure something will come up I mean lets face it "How many awesome teachers have their own stormtrooper armour?" surely a school must see the benefit of that! :salute:

Ok hopefully chest is sorted now raised it as high as I can same with the AB plate (gonna need some lycra shorts under my suit :blink: ) Hopefully this will be high enough. Im presently using velcro and elastic to keep the chest overhang to the AB not sure if this is a good long term solution, does this hold up well trooping?

Posted Image

Quick update on the build. Got my pauldron sorted and spent most of yesterday dying my boots. I used Dylon shoe colour and they came up with a nice even colour. As its a rub in dye and not paint it doesnt crack. Still got to order my canvas belt and glue in a few more snaps. Finally got a place to put all the completed pieces. My kids call it DAD2!

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update:

Took siths advice and went to 100% snaps! Just some comfort issues with the cod and butt plate to do. Waiting for my Icomm and Belt to arrive and then on to the weatherin'. Can almost see the finish line.....

Posted Image

That looks great, looking forward to the weathered version :D Oddly enough I went into teaching myself just the past year after leaving my former studio...and the school shut the program down after I taught out the last group going through their arts program, then patted my head and sent me off to unemployment >.> which is where I stand now until I hear something from the Police I hope :P

Counting pennies is not much fun at all. Glad to see someone in a similar situation ended up with a nice suit! gives me hope :D

• 2 weeks later...

Could be the end of the road for my armour build :(

Im 6ft 4" tall and although ive managed to get my armour together pouches etc; ive hit a massive problem......

I have T-21 blasters done, pouches done and ive shimmed and adjusted everything. It fits great except my chest piece. Its just too short. I have a large body length and no amount of adjusting will make it fit right (apart from moving the abdomin so far upwards that im crushing the jewels and the but plate begins to resemble a thong) I have an ABS ATA set of armour and the chest is relatively short anyway. It would seem I need a good 6-8cm more length on the chest piece. The funds are now completely dry and I dont know what to do here. I dont want to have to sell up my armour and "move along" not now im pretty much at the end of the build. Im outta ideas and feelin' that the dream is over......help anyone :6: