f0x's ATA TD Build

f0xtrooper

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx guys I really appreciate the support on my build.

It's ready to prime and paint. Gelcoated the extension for strength polypasted on top to give the shape more definition. I dont want it to look hashed together.

Posted Image

Tougher than a Dewback steak and smoother than the emperor on a saturday night....

Posted Image

...just got to find a good strong plastic gloss white.

ok finished the chest modifications. Primed the chest (of course showed up just how much more sanding was needed :( )

Posted Image

then set about painting it. I used 3 coats of satin white "Plastikote" followed by 2 coats of gloss clear. Looks pretty close to the original finish, not that it matters too much as the wethering should balance it all out.

Posted Image

Back in the game :) Time to make a start on the backpack.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not updated te build thread in a while as most of the stuff im doing now is fitting and clean up, but I thought id post some progress for those following the build.

Due to my "manly" and strangly proportioned body I have had to make a few adjustments to my build for comfort purposes. All though pretty much put together I really couldnt manage to stay suited up for too long. As I intend to troop like crazy once cleared I set about making some changes. Due to being stuck on an island with no help avaliable and a missus who wets herself with laughter when she sees me in my bodysuit. I decided to build a duct tape mannequin to make it easier to adjust my armors fit.

Posted Image

I wish that I had done this in the begining of my build it has really made things easier. Its a dead ringer for my body shape and was simple to make. The boots, gloves, suit and neck seal are part of the mannequin as I they have been replaced during my test fits. Using the mannequin I have adjusted biceps, shoulders, back, chest, shins and cod (thank goodness my boys were killing me!)

A few adjustments left but nearly there....

Posted Image

Onto the last update

I decided to redo the inside of my helmet as there isnt a lot of space and to be honest I couldnt see me wearing it for a 4 hour stint. I removed all the padding and lenses and basically went back to the begining. I cut up a set of foam knee protectors to use to pad the inside of the helmet and give it some more space. I filled the eye surrounds with milliput and popped in some motherboard standoffs to hold the lenses. I ground off the outer screw with my dremel leaving this

Posted Image

Next I made a template for the lenses using a piece of toy plastic from one of the many toys I have to buy for my little ones. I transfered the template to a piece of wielders mask and drilled the screw holes

Posted Image

The wielders mask is much darker and stronder than the material that came with my helmet. I edged it off with C channel (So I dont scratch my face again :( ) and screwed it into the helmet

Posted Image

Finally I ran some weather stripping over the srew heads and placed the last piece of padding between the nose bridge. As the helmet is obviously not symetrical it needed padding here to stop irritation to my left eye.

Posted Image

Much more comfortable and conclusive proof that even a melon as big as mine can fit into an ATA helmet :)

This will hopefully be the last pic post. Final test fitting tonight then a week of weathering. I wont post anymore pics. Anyone interested will see my build in all its glory when I am cleared and request deployment :D

Thanks to those who followed the thread and "See you in the ranks"

Mike, I really enjoy reading your build thread. Your armor, pack, and T21 look amazing! I'm also going the sergeant route and was wondering if the T21 was just for fun since I didn't see it in any of the sergeant layouts that Panda has posted.

Jason Ive bought a Doopys resin E-11 to go with my desert sergeant (just in case I get any SWAT aspirations) but lets face it the best bit of being a sandy is carrying a BFG!!

No kidding, just have to wait until WoodChuck starts another run since I can't get Doopy's in the US.