Mortar Launcher Question

tk1888

Ok, so where did everyone find 2.5" PVC pipe? I have gone to Home Depot and other hardware stores and they carry 2" and 3", but not 2.5". I guess I can get it online, as I have searched and found some suppliers, but I would like to avoid the shipping charge if possible. I live in Indiana, and if someone close to me and does not mind the trouble of shipping me a 3 foot piece (like if you had to buy the standard 8 foot of it), I would be greatly appreciative. I could pay Paypal. If anyone knows of any other general stores that carry this, let me know! Thanks for any info.

pvc might be kinda heavy for the mortar launcher. they sell hollow plastic "ice tubes" at art stores that are between 10-25$. light weight and easy to paint. you might ask for ice tubes or just art tubes.

im sure if you search google for art ice tubes something will come up. you can order them online in pairs.

but pvc will do the job. just heavier x10

I also couldn't find the 2.5" PVC piping, so I went with a smaller size instead (something like 2" I think). My backpack doesn't really look much like the ones in the movie, because for one I have a bad back (permanently fractured vertebrae) so mine is the "lite" version for short-range patrols. I've only worn mine one time because it still bothers my back.

We got some Alvin Ice Tubes at a local art supply shop too. Very easy to cut down and paint, and very light. The end caps aren't 100% authentic looking, but look pretty good once painted white.

We got some Alvin Ice Tubes at a local art supply shop too. Very easy to cut down and paint, and very light. The end caps aren't 100% authentic looking, but look pretty good once painted white.

Yeap, they work fine. Buy the longest one, then cut away about an inch of the width (not the length!), because as-is, it's too fat. Throw away the end-caps and fabricate replacement ones from thin sheet plastic.

Thanks for the input fellas. I just ended up going with the 2" PVC pipe. The endcaps overhang just slightly, but hardly noticable. I liked the look of the art tubes, but I was trying to stay on a very tight budget and I didn't want to have to order them. Thanks again.

i think there is no exact size.

you can just have a look at as many reference pictures as you can get and try to find a solution while taking your back vs the screenshots stormtrooper backs.

OR

you can use common tutorials for measure like TK409´s awesome reference site...

http://tk409.com/tk409.html

• 2 months later...

PVC is NOT the way to go. Steer clear. (that's kind of a pun. Read on.)

Goto a site or plastics place like:

http://www.cleartecpackaging.com/specs/ ... n_wall.asp

And get a clear plastic tube. This is the tubing we were going to use for the MDK pack. To make sure the pack was SUPER light weight. The one I have is very durable, exact size, and weighs next to nothing! The ABS caps I have weigh as much as the entire tube itself. PVC is WAY to heavy! Sand it up nice, paint it black, and youre set!