A video of the 1977 computer graphics of the plans for the Deathstar

RogueTrooper

Hey all,

I was going through some of my favs on YouTube and I came across this video.

It is the 1977 computer graphics of the plans for the Deathstar in the first Star Wars film and was created by Larry Cuba in the 1970s at the Electronic Visualization Laboratory (EVL) (at the time known as the Circle Graphics Habitat.

I do some CG work with After Effects and a few other programs. But I just geek out on this. At the time this was sate of the art. This is how far computer graphics have come....

ENJOY!

Here is the link:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMeSw00n3Ac

Thanks man!

That is some geeking out footage if I've ever seen some!

The way they pushed the boundaries for the original trilogy should still be required study for any computer graphics majors 200 years from now!

If people would take current tech and use it like they used THEIR "current tech" back then can you imagine what would be coming out of Hollywood? The problem is we're all complacent that "high-tech" just means the next thing. We never question what it could've been if we'd push the envelope... the envelope, in other words, simply — really — isn't "pushed" anymore. At least not like it was by ILM and Lucas and the bunch back then. B)

Having to work with primitive CAD drawing programs in the late 80's (10 years after the movie came out), it's pretty mind blowing that they were able to do this at all.

In fact, here we are 30 years later and many of the effects still look really good.