Drop the Foreign Language Forums?

FIVE

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should we blast the foreign language forums?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care as long as we can blast Jawas.

The idea has recently been brought up that we should simply remove the "Worldwide Language Forums" sections.

There are only 130 or so posts in those sections and posting there is very sporadic.

So... what say ye troopers?!

The idea has recently been brought up that we should simply remove the "Worldwide Language Forums" sections.

There are only 130 or so posts in those sections and posting there is very sporadic.

So... what say ye troopers?!

Well if its eating up resources I see you point, but if it doesn't then I say keep it.

I personally don't use it but its a tool a non-English speaking newbie could use in the future.

english language is probably a brake to many troopers, but i think there is no really alternative. it is the most used language far beyond the world.

it demand a small effort to who like really learn and share about our passion, it is not easy, i doing again many mistake when i read and write but every day it is better.

so two good things : learn about TD and language progress.

so to my side i'm ok to blast them :D

And, of course, people can always use stuff like this.

ya .... blast em ... und die Jawas;) !!!!!

hehe...i say blast the Jawas!.. im neutral on this..if they are taking up too much space though, it seems logical to blast em given the amount of traffic in them.

I don't see they have much use, so my first reaction would be: lets get rid of them...

But then, I like to think of this as an including forum (is that the correct expression). So, What if we keep just one Section where non-english speaking troopers could ask for assistance so we can direct them to a "tutor" that speaks that foreign language and could help that trooper go around the forums.

But then, how could non-English speaking troopers will be able to find that specific forum????? hhhmmm... I guess it is useless anyway.

I know many Mexican troopers that visit the forum frecuently but as they dont speak much or non English, they just watch the pictures or post in the Spanish language forum. Very often they just PM me directly (either here or at the Mexican Garrison forum) so that I can send them links over here to what they are looking for. I guess this can be emulated in any garrison anyway.

So, I guess it seems the right thing to do to keep them for political correctness or just close them if it will help us to save space and resources.

So, if it is the choice of the detachment to close those forums, we all should be ok and understand.

;)

Saludos.

My .02 would be to remove them, the reason I say that is that there is such a great mix of friendly people on this board that any new guy that posts, would be helped in the main board by somebody of his/her language just as fast as in those sections.

You were one I was waiting to hear from Juan. B)

I took my time to think about this... I still cant decide how to vote.

I cant help but want to keep the forum as a large number of posts there come from Mexican Troopers. But then, I have been very close to them and know they (we) dont need a spanish forum over ther MEPD to comunicate. And anyway, most of the interesting and important threads are in English and have no translation here. So.. It seems useless and a waste of resources to have them.

So, here is a new idea and I think it would work way better:

What if we work in a FAQ section with lets say top 10 things a trooper would need/like to know for a starter. Including who to ask questions in their own language. And then do this in Spanish, French and German. Pinned and lock those threads and have them just as a reference. Not as active forums. That would be useful and keep us in a welcoming including position, but without having a useless section.

What do you think?

Still... cant decide how to vote. LOL...

Thx bro.

Saludos.

I took my time to think about this... I still cant decide how to vote.

I cant help but want to keep the forum as a large number of posts there come from Mexican Troopers. But then, I have been very close to them and know they (we) dont need a spanish forum over ther MEPD to comunicate. And anyway, most of the interesting and important threads are in English and have no translation here. So.. It seems useless and a waste of resources to have them.

So, here is a new idea and I think it would work way better:

What if we work in a FAQ section with lets say top 10 things a trooper would need/like to know for a starter. Including who to ask questions in their own language. And then do this in Spanish, French and German. Pinned and lock those threads and have them just as a reference. Not as active forums. That would be useful and keep us in a welcoming including position, but without having a useless section.

What do you think?

Still... cant decide how to vote. LOL...

Thx bro.

Saludos.

I'm with you on this one. I think that we need to have some sort of Language section so that knowing English is not the one stumbling block that keeps a trooper from gaining MEPD status. We have to keep in mind that the 501st is a World Wide organization. I understand that English is spoken all over the globe, but we should be welcoming to anyone who doesn't.

For some people it might come in handy to drop something in their own language but on the other hand deleting these section is a good thing so we can all speak the same language.

Some troopers might think that their knowledge of the english language isn't sufficient but bear in mind that you will never be judged on the way you post or write. We are the MEPD and not school..

and I love the smell of blasted Jawa in the morning..makes my day every time.. B)

your position is probably right Juan, i understand your point of view.

but if we want to be really open at all languages and be fair it will be really difficult and many works to do, there is not only spanish french and german language, you probably forgot this : Polish, Chinese, Arabic, Russian, Scandinavian, and probably many more ...

many forums about prop replicas and many others are only in english, not only the MEPD.

and if you want to defend this here, you also must to defend this on the LEGION forum who is also only in english.

for me the solution, is what you ar doing actually, it is to be a godparent with who want to learn about TD in our garrison, and many more.

it is just my opinion, i hope your also understand my point of view.

cheers bro' ;)

your position is probably right Juan, i understand your point of view.

but if we want to be really open at all languages and be fair it will be really difficult and many works to do, there is not only spanish french and german language, you probably forgot this : Polish, Chinese, Arabic, Russian, Scandinavian, and probably many more ...

many forums about prop replicas and many others are only in english, not only the MEPD.

and if you want to defend this here, you also must to defend this on the LEGION forum who is also only in english.

for me the solution, is what you ar doing actually, it is to be a godparent with who want to learn about TD in our garrison, and many more.

it is just my opinion, i hope your also understand my point of view.

cheers bro' ;)

I understand bro, No worries... :D

I just think that most troopers out there come from countries that either speak or have the option to learn in school one of these languages : English, Spanish, French, German.

I know this is not very inclusive with all the languages widely spoken in the world. I can think if chinese and portuguese. More ppl speak chinese or Spanish n the world as a mother tongue than English, Thats a fact. But Im guessing most ppl with time and money to go deep into this hobbie also has the possibility to speak at least one of those languages.

This I think could be useful, but also a statement of how we see the world and our comunity as a detachment.

But again, if most ppl think we should drop those boards, I will be fine with it.

:D

What do you think now?

Saludos.

I think we should drop them, but make a danish forum hahaha sorry had to post it :P:lol:

I don´t think the 130 post show, that they are active visit/used.

So i don´t see they need to be here and just fill up the mepd forum, and as other have post before.

Most people can write and understand english, and if they are bad to it.

Then they will learn over time, and its a good way to learn how to write and read in here.

Me for one write was super slow in writing english for 4 years ago vs. now.

Plus like Nol have post, there are all ways google translate or just dictionary in the most computers world wide.

Plus all the cool mepd topics, are made in the english sections any way...

So no need for a spanish/german forum i guess, i guess it can be done over pm etc...

But no big deal for me, if someone like it to stay its cool, but i still like it to be deleted.

Peace out :)

what is it sure that we are here to share about our passion with a maximum of persons far beyond the world.

in fact i'm not really against the idea of many languages (it will be more easy also to mee :P ), but i think it will be really difficult to update and doing this and take many energy to the staff to do this. (why did you think many and many forums are only in english)

there is, like Nol say many translators, i use this when i don't understand all what it is wrote or when i post a reply.

it take me time for sure, but i have no choice. i just do it.

it is really cool to speak about it, and the vote will do the differance because everyone have a point of view, and there no bad point of view about this.

;)

The command staff (and iconoclasta_88 specifically) have come up with a good solution to this.

We're going to change the foreign language forums to a Foreign Language FAQ section which will contain a sub-forum for German, Spanish, French, and any others we might feel needed. Each section will contain the same questions and answers and will be locked... purely read-only forums.

The questions we've come up with so far are...

• Where do I get Sandtrooper armor?
  • How do I become part of the MEPD?
  • Do I need to be 501st to become part of the MEPD?
  • What is Deployment?
  • How can I reach Deployment?
  • Where can I get all the Sandtrooper gear?
  • Who can I contact on the forum that speaks my language?

So... with this we are going to need a language speaker for each of these sections. If you want to simply post here that you're available for a specific language that would be great. We will answer the questions the same in each section... just need translators.

Sound good?

The command staff (and iconoclasta_88 specifically) have come up with a good solution to this.

We're going to change the foreign language forums to a Foreign Language FAQ section which will contain a sub-forum for German, Spanish, French, and any others we might feel needed. Each section will contain the same questions and answers and will be locked... purely read-only forums.

The questions we've come up with so far are...

• Where do I get Sandtrooper armor?
  • How do I become part of the MEPD?
  • Do I need to be 501st to become part of the MEPD?
  • What is Deployment?
  • How can I reach Deployment?
  • Where can I get all the Sandtrooper gear?
  • Who can I contact on the forum that speaks my language?

So... with this we are going to need a language speaker for each of these sections. If you want to simply post here that you're available for a specific language that would be great. We will answer the questions the same in each section... just need translators.

Sound good?

Brilliant!