Pauldron Colors

FIVE

Seems like every post I have is a question... so here's a question...

I know what the Pauldron colors stand for... Orange = Squad Commander, White = Sergeant, and Black = Enlisted... but how many of you just wear the color you want to wear regardless? I mean based on this only one guy in our squad should have the orange... but, if we're cos-playing when we're out then maybe I'm the squad leader of some other squad besides the "Dewback Ridge Squad."

Make sense?

So... what's everyone do?

To be clear, the only thing we know from watching the movie and reading the history of how the pauldrons came to be sheds light only that they indicate rank, but not what rank they mean. IIRC - and I'm paraphrasing from the book by memory - Lucas asked the costume guy (name I can't recall) how to tell what rank the sandtroopers were visually. So he went out and got some motorcycle chest protectors and colored them. Lucas just placed people where he wanted to make a visual effect.

The whole orange = officer and the rest are some kind of enlisted is just back story that came years and years later. To be honest I think your opinion is probably just as valid as what some flunky puts on wookiepedia or wherever.

Personally I just wear what I want. I do try to coordinate at times to ensure we don't have all of one color, but considering that it's just a cosmetic detail don't take it overly seriously.

Heck, for all we know *all* the pauldrons were officers and the color represented junior, mid, and high career. :) Whatever floats your boat Nol!

:salute:

Cool... I like this answer.

I like the orange ones for "looks" best. Black would be my next preference... then white. But I didn't want to do something "wrong" if everyone else was following some "law".

Thanks man!

Oh... and buoyancy floats my boat. :lol:

The word on the street said:

Orange- Captain.

White- Sergeant.

Black-Private.

In a way strange, because Lieutenant comes before the Captain rank.

So maybe the Orange, is a Lieutenant.

http://www.28-110-k.org/images/rank_insignia.gif

I also don´t look, too much at what rank it is.

But go after the look.

For many years, i have only been a fan of the Orange.

I guess, because of the most filmed move a long trooper/whit most lines etc.

But i must say, i have been more and more in love whit the two other ranks too over the years.

I really love the sergeant look.

Whit the mp40 shoulder pouch, and wien stolla hips L/R.

Or whit the wien stolla as shoulder pouch, and the small ww2 spanish ones on he´s L/R hips.

E-11, or MG-15.

So sergeant version back pack, whit the oil filter etc.

http://www.looksirdroids.com/images/replic...or/Armor_03.jpg

Cheers.

Troop on :) .

Personally I wear the orange pauldron, this is because this is the one that is most recognisable and also the one that sticks in my mind from my childhood the most. B)

I dont think it really matters <_<

Given the fact that orange is the color that sets apart itself from the other used colours and that

we never see more than one orange pauldron in a scene supports the assumption that it might

be the highest ranking indicator.

I really like orange but I chose white as most people used to have orange pauldrons.

Also I like the seam folds in the white one. As I'm doing the MG15 blaster it's also fitting as on screen

we see white pauldron troopers being equipped with it.

I think it's a nice idea if sandies of an area that regularly troop with each other would reflect a squad

by chosing to have one orange several white and black. It would add a nice touch to the representation.

the ranking itself is difficult.......there was at least one without....

During the raid of the Mos Eisley hangar bay we see a trooper without any pauldron - so maybe it's

the privates who have no pauldron and that elevates the other ranks. On the other hand it's a bit

strange that we have so many troops with a rank beyond private but only one private.

It's difficult to extract a pattern from something that is built on composition rather than military structures.

We always face these conflicts when fans start to interprete and adapt movie realism to real life

authenticism -> see the difference-between-desert-and-Stomrtroops-thread.

Given the fact that orange is the color that sets apart itself from the other used colours and that

we never see more than one orange pauldron in a scene supports the assumption that it might

be the highest ranking indicator.

two orange Pauldrons in one scene..

Posted Image

But still it will be more than fine when you troop that there will be some sort of visable ranking for the spectators.

Anyway, when you troop you can wear any pauldron of your liking, but you could bring it on as a topic when you are trooping with more than one person.

Just troop the way you prefer it yourself. :salute:

Just to ad a bit more realism (if that makes any sense knowing that the movie is 100% fiction), I would suggest that you just use any color that you like, but try to portrait as much as possible one specific TD or rank each time. I mean, matching the weapon to the pouches to the pauldron.

Anyway, most people wont be able to tell the difference, but its an encouraged practice in the detachment to be as screen accurate as possible. And its the difference bewtween any regular TD in the Legion and a MEPD deployed TD.

Most important of all... have fun being a TD! :D

Just my opinion.

Saludos...

...I was under the assumption that Orange Meant 'Squad Leader'...

...and it does seem odd to have 2 within the same group of troopers as often pictured in the ref pics...

...LoL...I actually prefer the Grey Pauldron with our added hard pauldron attachment

Whats that? and what does it do?

...nothing...JB make a sweet template and we cut it out from thick styrene...bend the edges down and paint them to match the pauldron colors...just looks more like armor...the same ones we used with our Imperial Commando costumes...totally non-canon but fun :)

This turned out to be quite the discussion... nice.

The more I look at the white one the more I like it... But I like what Iconoclasta said... sticking to what gun was with each pauldron makes some sense too. Just so people can see "you" in the movies.

Slavefive... dude, your MR CE redo is great btw!!

I agree its more fun to have diffrent colored pauldron's

As far as canon vs non-canon

I have always felt that as long as its plausible I never see why not ..

Like most of you I have read the following on Wookiepedia

* Black - Enlisted

* White - Sergeant

* Orange - Squad Leader

* Blue - Sniper

* Grey - Bombardier

* Red - Medic

* Yellow - Rifleman

I know, I know the last four are non-canon BUT I feel that in a SW universe, odds are there are Medics, Snipers etc.. and whats to say that these are not to say that they don't wear these pauldrons?

As long as people make an effort to makes these colors fit in (IE.. if your going to make a Medic TD then don't half a$$ it) , I am all for it.

I think the military doctrine and spirit of the empire portrayed in the original movies

don't realy support the last four ranks. EU and Fanfic has skewed a lot of the quite

clear impression we've got from the classic movies.

I guess the popularity of colourful gizmos and customization has been a welcomed

side effect for marketing the star wars brand -> exponential decrease of characters

especially Jedi and (Clone)Troopers etc.

But imo the original image of the imperial army has faded and suffered a great deal

from this development.

Sorry to be spoil-sport here ;)

I think the military doctrine and spirit of the empire portrayed in the original movies

don't realy support the last four ranks. EU and Fanfic has skewed a lot of the quite

clear impression we've got from the classic movies.

If you notice one of the stormtroopers was checking on another fallen trooper when Darth Vader walked into the Blockade Runner leading me to think

that some where trained to be medics.

I personally have no interest in anything other then the original orange , white and black myself but, if anyone wants to do one of the last four

I have nothing against it at all.

...but then again they have had no special apeal. Sure you're looking if someone is dead

or just wounded - even as a common trooper. In that scene I think the most important

thing for the stormtroopers has been clearing the path for Vader.

• 2 years later...

I own an Orange, Black, and White. but I only have one type of backpack... I think some people care more about the pauldron color matching the specific backpacks they were scene on screen with lol so I just wear whatever color I feel like wearing. I wore orange a while, then I went to wearing the white for a while. I'll switch to wearing the black next. The white one I have is nice and dirty though while the black one looks brand new lol so I'll have to throw some dirt on it first for sure..

I tend to grab white previously because seemed like everyone had orange I trooped with in Florida.