Question for everyone: About the next run of back-pack parts

TD-1536

I'm thinking about making the next run of orders alacarte, with each part trimmed and pre-assembled, ready to attach to your back pack.

I'd like to design a web page with each part priced out, ready to buy as you need them. Doing it this way will get you a perfectly assembled part, but will also add to the cost and ship time. The last two orders I did were of completely assembled parts, and I rather enjoy and kinda prefer sending out things 'done'.

I'm also going to add in the gray bottles already painted and ready to go, as well as the mortar/maling tube - already painted black with end caps and control panel (all you have to do is attach the Radar). I can even even send you the main boxes already trimmed perfectly and painted - considering folks are having a difficult time finding the right blue/gray paint.

Any suggestions or ideas? I'm open to making things as easy and convenient for everyone who still needs stuff... short of selling completely assembled back packs of course.

My only qualm on this would be the cost of an air fare to get you to England to make my pack parts for me

Not that i'm not planning on having fun putting it together but there will been some high decibel swearing moments i'm sure.

Mike, you are a rare soul in this crazy world and i love the fact that you love doing this for people and i get the impression you are somewhat of a perfectionist so who would say no to getting a perfect pack.

Sounds good.

Aim a creative trooper. So i think i can make it ok nice looking, but off couse you know your parts best and done some ex.

So you might do i better then i.

I got all the MH parts, whit SB boxes.

The items there is not in there to complite the back pack, i have to find my self like you also have dont it e.g shot guns side, tubes, frame ex.

But if you make more parts, i like to buy them.

And if your make a full (all parts) ready to go back pack, i might go for one more my friend.

How much would a ready to go backpack be?

Too much. Considering the hardest part to acquire is the frame (at least the frame I like to use). Plus, because it's over-sized, shipping would cost in excess of $140 just in the US!

Iam looking forward to see the progress on this.

Rember i like to buy more MH parts if its comes up.

For now i have to search the market for missing items to finished it.

I have all ready cut all the part out, and ready to find the lost items.

Get them together, paint them and join MEPD.

I mailed a 65" long by 30" 15 LB box to France using USPS parcel post and it cost $70. It would have been cheaper if not for the **** length...

If you would use USPS priority based on my pack's weight & size + a few inches for bubble wrap it could be done within the US for about $40.

I mailed a 65" long by 30" 15 LB box to France using USPS parcel post and it cost $70. It would have been cheaper if not for the **** length...

If you would use USPS priority based on my pack's weight & size + a few inches for bubble wrap it could be done within the US for about $40.

Hmmm... well, I recently mailed a set of armor to a client in CA. The box was about 35lbs., and according to USPS "over-sized", and it cost $140 to ship.

Anyway, regardless... I suppose (shipping charges aside), as long as I could get the frames, I'd be up for making and selling entire back-packs. But they wouldn't be cheap.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I will start working on a web page for easy ordering with all the prices, info, etc. I can offer just about everything needed to make a pack (except the aluminum frame).

You know what Mike, you're right. USPS doesn't put the "balloon" charge on their website. They hit you with it when you're there, that happened to me before when I shipped my old armor. The estimator online said soemthing like 70 and the real shipping was 120. How quickly we forget!

• 2 weeks later...

I love the idea of being able to by the parts pre-assembled, but I also love working with my hands, so I'm fine either way. If you do alacarte ordering, do packages for certain pack types. No need to discount the packages, just make it easier for folks to be sure they've ordered all the parts they need.