Uber Accurate Pauldron! (perhaps)

I paid a visit to a local upholstry shop the other day, and spoke for a while with a guy there who I know. I talked to him about making some pauldrons for me, per my specs. No problem of course, he's got VERY nice vinyl in stock, he can make anything/anyway/any color, he will do it VERY nicely (this guy does restoration on antique/classic cars, and $$$ custom stuff for hot rods & so on) however, it'll run me $75 per pauldron. Considering how much time it takes, and the superb quality of the materials, and the fact that they can be made "perfectly" I'd say it's worth it. My question is if anyone else thinks so. I paid $60 for a pauldron from GF some years ago, and I know the GA types go for barely $30 now, but they are not quite as nice as the GF was, and these would be ten times nicer than what is commonly available now. Ultimately, I'm going to get a prototype made (probably in January) and I'll show it off to everyone here and if you would want one he can make them. I wanted to gauge if there would be any interest beyond my one. Thoughts? Anyone else nutters enough to be nitpicking their pauldron's accuracy?

FWIW these will be properly shaped, padded, and made from very heavy materials & made as closely in color/shape/materials to the film as possible.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I paid a visit to a local upholstry shop the other day, and spoke for a while with a guy there who I know. I talked to him about making some pauldrons for me, per my specs. No problem of course, he's got VERY nice vinyl in stock, he can make anything/anyway/any color, he will do it VERY nicely (this guy does restoration on antique/classic cars, and $$$ custom stuff for hot rods & so on) however, it'll run me $75 per pauldron. Considering how much time it takes, and the superb quality of the materials, and the fact that they can be made "perfectly" I'd say it's worth it. My question is if anyone else thinks so. I paid $60 for a pauldron from GF some years ago, and I know the GA types go for barely $30 now, but they are not quite as nice as the GF was, and these would be ten times nicer than what is commonly available now. Ultimately, I'm going to get a prototype made (probably in January) and I'll show it off to everyone here and if you would want one he can make them. I wanted to gauge if there would be any interest beyond my one. Thoughts? Anyone else nutters enough to be nitpicking their pauldron's accuracy?

FWIW these will be properly shaped, padded, and made from very heavy materials & made as closely in color/shape/materials to the film as possible.

Iam in also on this. Accurate sandtrooper look, yes pleace.

Holy crap! Cool guys, I'm glad I'm not alone. Money will be a little slim for me over the next couple months, but as soon as I can afford to get a proto made I will. To answer a few questions;

-I can get him to make any style & color so black/white/orange (we'll have to figure out that pantone) will be no problem.

-They will be padded correctly.

-I guessed to him that between 5-10 people would be interested, then he quoted $75. Maybe I can get a little better, but I don't want to be a butt about it. Especially when I'm being very particular in terms of every material/texture/color/stitch. $75 is actually what I will pay him per piece, so I am not planning on making anything on these.

Bottom line is these will be as close to screen accurate as possible, some research has been done already by myself & others, and I'll continue with that until I feel like it's ready to go to prototype.

The other cool thing is once we have a pattern & instructions cemented he can make them anytime, so no need to get in on a run or anything, although I'd like to throw a few at him at once (doesn't look like that'll be a problem). The proto will be white, as that is my chosen pauldron color. Then we'll go from there.

Thoughts? Anyone else nutters enough to be nitpicking their pauldron's accuracy?

Um, you even HAVE to ask a question like that here? Interested, curious to see the photo (and how I'm doing with money in January...... C4... so tempting...).

Thoughts? Anyone else nutters enough to be nitpicking their pauldron's accuracy?

Um, you even HAVE to ask a question like that here? Interested, curious to see the photo (and how I'm doing with money in January...... C4... so tempting...).
Yeah, you're right. Once they're going, they'll be available whenever you want one, so no worries there.