TK or TD ,TK and TD

Quebectrooper

Today i tried my almost complete TD with my almost complete marmit backpack and i can say it was a greater feeling than being a TK. I feel like an almost complete man. I hit my pack on a couple of walls and furniture in the house but i love the look and it was a lot more fun building it (specially the pack). Today i noticed my beautiful clean TK armor(wich is carefully stored in a case) was scratched and i was upset cause i'm gonna have to clean that. No need to worry about that with my TD . :)

My wife even told me she prefered the TD so tonight i ain't gonna shower and jump right into bed. Maybe she's gonna start getting dirty too... :lol:

Like you said, When you're a clean TK and you get a scrach, its like "Aw Man...", now its like "Woohoo damage!"... I think TD would give more satisfaction as there are a lot more things to get right, not only the armor...

Agreed....the accessories we carry coupled with that "I just walked off the front lines" look, really puts it in a whole different world.

I don't think I'll ever do a clean TK again....if I did, I'd have to change my name to "shiny boy" or "O B clean 1 kenobi" :)

I thought this was a great topic Pat.. After some more help from Jay on Saturday really close to getting finished.. When I started of doing my TK I was paranoid I would pick up my armor like I was carrying a new born.. If I bumped a part in the floor while working, I stopped what I was doing to check on the part in the floor, hoping that I didnt make a mark on it... Its been such a relief working on my TD I knock something over now, I dont even flinch or pick it up... Actually I just give it a little kick across the floor.. Even though I still have headaches with the 1st time build, its a LOT more enjoyable now....Wishing I had gone TD from the begining...

Right but i really enjoyed the sound of my drop boxes hitting my thighs when i walk and one time i really had to pee badly so i removed my detonator and did in it .

I can't quit being a TK i painted my walls like the deathstar ...

Posted Image

I can't quit being a TK i painted my walls like the deathstar ...

I had the inside of my eyelids tattooed with a photo-realistic image of me in my TD so I can dream about it all night. :lol:

I've actually been trooping more with my TD than my TK. Depends on the event. For something like a hospital visit, younger kids, etc. I would go TK as most people recognize them all the time. For cons and where people "know" Star Wars, I go TD. :)

I was a TK for about 3 months... the turn to the dirty sand and have been a TD ever since.

It is a real character, not just some set decoration like TKs.

And all the gear and dirt makes us look like old brave soldiers, not just some guy who just graduated from bootcamp.

We know our stuff...

And ppl would always admire all the detail and weathering job on our armor and gear. I get comments like "is this real?" on my E11 and other stuff. I love being a TD.

Anyway... I do want to build a TK armor and make it as accurate as possible. Including strapping, aging and damage, gaffer's tape and all that. Prop forgery that is. And just have it exhibited at my man's cave. Of course, first I need to get a house with an extra room and make it into a man's cave... but I am patient.

Saludos

PS. And yes, not having to clean the armor before and after each troop is a great plus.

When I first decided to get armor, before cutting my first piece, attaching my first piece of velcro, rivet or applying a drop of E6000 I knew I was going dirty. I like the personality that comes with the different weathering, ammo pouches, pauldrons, packs, and weapons. Although some will argue, a TK is a TK, BUT no two TDs are the same. I also have a death star theme office but that doesn't stop my Sandtrooper from standing guard in it.

I find that if I'm the only trooper or if there are a small number of troopers, the TD is the way go. But if you can get a group of TK's, the effect can't be beat.

I love the ANH Stormtrooper, and for most of us we start there...

But i feel the Sandtrooper, are a level higher, and bigger challenge to reach.

To get all the extra parts right, like all the different pouches, 3 rank pauldrons, 4 different weapons, all the back pack parts, weathering...

but if you do it all right, you will have the coolest, most hard core character in the complete star wars saga.

I also think the whole person behind the armor are way more cool, then a Stormtrooper.

Because he´s a patrol army cop, a food soldier controling the area, and make sure every body are on there best behave.

And again therefor more cool to jump into that "role" when you troop, do fan movies etc.

True love to the Sandy´s.... PERIOD!!! ;)

My TIE pilot is cool. Comfortable. More maneuverable, I can sit, squat, kneel, etc. It doesn't leave bite marks all over my body. I can breathe and see in the helmet, and I can actually reach my helmet when wearing the full suit. I have a certain attitude when wearing it. I am too good to be a groud pounder. Leave that for the nameless, faceless minions who lack the skills to fly.

But...

Whenever I can, I wear my Sandy. The fans love it. I love it. I get so much more interaction and comments. My TI is more expensive and 100% cannon, but I always catch people checking out- I mean really studying and checking out my TD. I get several comments every time I troop in it about how much work it looks like I put into it.

It opens up the opportunity for interaction with fans. The conversation starters write themselves. It makes more sense for me to ask if these (pointing to kids or whatever) are the droids I am looking for.

I feel like an elite member of the Empire. I have been in the suck. I have lived on minimal supplies and field rations, sleeping in my gear and relying on only the other troopers in my squad. I have been used and abused by the officers who are over me. Told over and over again, "I'm sorry, but your leave has been canceled and we need to to deploy to some gosh-forsaken heck-hole in the bassward-ask section of the galaxy"

I am a TD. I am a Ground pounder.

I am a Grunt. And I am proud.

Guest Muppet

I totally agree with the above posts. I have a few 501st approved costumes, but the reaction i have received whilst wearing the TD, exceeds any of the others. I've had people come up and say, that i totally look like i came straight out of the movie and even ask, if it is real dirt on me.

Don't get me wrong, i love all the other costumes i have (otherwise I wouldnt have them) and the scout and snowie costumes are so comfy to wear. I believe everyone should have a TK in the closest, just for those special events, when stormies are requested, but when ever i have the opportunity, i dust of the old TD (hang on,dust gives it more character) and get out there in it, and i always have my pack on ( I feel naked without it)

Ken

Right but i really enjoyed the sound of my drop boxes hitting my thighs when i walk and one time i really had to pee badly so i removed my detonator and did in it .

Wait a minute, maybe I missed it and somebody already caught this. BUT, did you just say that you peed in your thermal detonator?

• 3 weeks later...

I agree whole heartedly with the above comments. I am not a 501st member yet but I have been lurking around the forums for about 2 years learning and deciding which direction to go. Although the TD is much mor complex and expensive than a TK, I am set on going that way for my build, just because of the individualism of the Sandy from the Stormy.

Nick

When I started to walk the dark side in costuming I popped a question to one of the Legionnaires in an email prior to having my AM Kit:

"Should I choose to remain white in shiny armor or go dirt diver?" And I'll never forget the answer which was:

"Go dirty we are the bad boys of the Empire"

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The comment stuck to me like glue. Stormies were the first figures most of us had as kids and still have. LOL

But the Sandies are like rarities of action figures hard to find.

Not to mention us living action figures 498 TD's vs the ratio of 2245 TK's

Posted Image Huh?

Agree with many, that it's like taking a Stormie to a hard core Marine Battalion and endure him with Mos Eisley Tours of Duty, even though we are Police Officers.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

And the "beauty" of belonging to the MEPD is as Zon mentions they are NO to TD's alike. A TK is a TK, but when a crowd sees

one of us TD's it's like if their eyes come delighted to a whole new different level. Now how cool is that?

Way Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image!!!

For those about to get dirty I Posted Image You!

I agree whole heartedly with the above comments. I am not a 501st member yet but I have been lurking around the forums for about 2 years learning and deciding which direction to go. Although the TD is much mor complex and expensive than a TK, I am set on going that way for my build, just because of the individualism of the Sandy from the Stormy.

Nick

I think we all dreamt of being TKs at first. From the first viewing of SW (The original) to the first time we discovered the 501st.

But, something about the TD is awesome and as mentioned before, it shows that you are a TRUE fan by the attention to detail on the different versions of the film seen armor.

Don't get me wrong, TKs are AWESOME and I do hope to become a CENTURION one day (EIB first of course) not to mention that I started out in the 501st as an ANH STUNT TK, But a SANDTROOPER just looks downright dirty and mean.(C'mon ...BFGs?!)

They also look like they are capable of keeping law and order on a HUTT controlled planet, laying waste to Jawas, Tuskens and uncooperative moisture farmers. (not that I support actions like that.)

;)

Anyway, I would personally start off an armor arsenal off with a TK just to have that iconic 501st standard issue trooper suit out of the way. Then I'd start adding various suits after that. Just my opinion. Any decision will be cool, no doubt. Good Luck!

:td::salute: