Building a Special Edition Bucket (JoeRCfO)

iconoclasta_88

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just curious: where do you place the rivets for the chinstraps?

All rotj helmets I've seen so far were just glued..

Hey Karin, my stuff arrived here a few moments ago!!

It is great!

Thx a lot!!!

And about how to attache them...

I tought the same as you...

I asked Joe and he told me they were attached with rivets. So I guess there are rivets after all, but just not through the whole ear piece. And, they did use glue to build the buckets. I guess the rivets came afterwards for the straps.

Don`t take this as a fact though.

;)

But it is a fact that the SE TD buckets had chin straps.

Will post a reference later.

Saludos

Glad you like the items!

yes, Joe told me about the rivets too. This is why I ask. Havn't seen them before.

But I do know that the rotj had chin straps aswell, there are some hi-rez pics of the PIH helmets on RPF.

I suggest cut about 1" of the straps, or they'll be a little too long. They're designed for the upper ANH screw

• 2 weeks later...

FInally,

The main build is done and the bucket has now its real shape and image. There are a big MANY things that I need to improve and mod, but the main spirit of the ROTJ helmet is there.

This has been a very challenging build since the technique, trimming, shape and even tools needed are different from the ANH versions. The most difficult challenging part (as always) was trimming and fitting the ear caps. Specially since in ROTJ they are trimmed very differently and they also don't fit the same way in the bucket. This is where the most room for improvement is at the moment.

Anyway... I have almost finished building, now it is time for those small details that will make it special.

Here are a few pictures:

post-0-054079200 1302624235_thumb.jpg

post-0-026957400 1302624348_thumb.jpg

post-0-007284400 1302624349_thumb.jpg

post-0-065463400 1302624341_thumb.jpg

post-0-077055400 1302624312_thumb.jpg

post-0-005192100 1302624312_thumb.jpg

And here are a few details...

-Hovis.

The ones used on ROTJ were aluminum casts, so I decided to paint my resin casts in black, and them weathered them with silvery paint to look as old deteriorated paint. Not really scratches or damage as in a real prop, but more an old look.

post-0-095847200 1302624332_thumb.jpg

-Vocoder.

Painted in ROTJ style with satin black instead of the gloss Humbrol black used on ANH.

post-0-073140500 1302624490_thumb.jpg

-Ear cap trimming

This is a little detail that makes a big difference, the way how it was trimmed to better fit the front and back plates where they meet

post-0-067037800 1302624382_thumb.jpg

post-0-058904100 1302624372_thumb.jpg

-Glue leftover

ROTJ were supposed to be put together with some kind of transparent/whitish glue, so, although it was unintentional, I had some nice glue leftovers over some places

(It does not show in crappy pictures of cell phone)

-Chin Straps

Thx to Karin for these... They still need aging and weathering

post-0-060245300 1302624310_thumb.jpg

post-0-034321800 1302624311_thumb.jpg

And here is what need to be improved:

See how the ear caps don't feet completely good to the bucket. I will be re-working on this.

post-1761-078087800 1302624753_thumb.jpg

post-1761-066446800 1302624754_thumb.jpg

And this is me...

post-0-049667900 1302624296_thumb.jpg

post-0-070472100 1302624279_thumb.jpg

What do you think?

Now it is time for weathering and adjusting... next couple of weeks!

Saludos

Lookin' good so far. Are you going to attempt to replicate the backpack, as well?

I'll have to admit that I'm not too fond of the SE TDs, but I am looking forward to seeing you complete this project! Impressive!

Lookin' good so far. Are you going to attempt to replicate the backpack, as well?

I'll have to admit that I'm not too fond of the SE TDs, but I am looking forward to seeing you complete this project! Impressive!

Hey bro...

I am not going to go all the way and make a SE TD. Just the bucket.

This is a special project in honor of the new JoeR CfO ROTJ buckets... and at the same time, I am trying to set a bar for anyone considering making a SE TD.

Maybe in the future I will get the whole ROTJ armor and make it into a TD, but not for now.

Anyway, Quartermaster made a great SE TD Backpack a few months ago. It was awesome and set a very high bar for anyone looking for the SE look.

Thx for your commments bro.

Saludos

Looks great man. Did you wet mount those decals? Do you need another set? I will send you some gratis :)

No bro.. I did not. :(

Actually, I think I did a very bad job with the decals.

I am very clumsy building stuff, what I try to compensate with lots of details and patience. But many times I can not nail stuff. Specially since this is the first time in about 2 years that I apply decals to traps and tears.

Maybe I can take them off and reaply them?

Do you have a video tutorial for wet mounting as the one for using the templates?

Ill send you a PM in a min.

:)

Saludos

The ROTJ decals are very difficult to put on due to the matte lamination that I had put on them. Wont do that again! But you can get good results if you use the wet application instructions here in my video. That and some/lots of patience. PM me your address and I will send you a few sets to try out.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking awesome bro!

The TK4510 decals were made for a TE helmet which is very different to mine, so they need cutting to fit perfectly.

We are working on some super accurate silk screen printed ones but they will not be done for a while.

Keep up the awesome work.

JoeR

• 10 months later...

Just a small update.

After a lot of thinking and blaming my self for being clumsy, I decided to make over the frown. This time with correct black tone, shape and technique...

So, first step, to remove the paint. Or at least, some of the paint...

So, here is how the bucket looks today:

Posted Image

Sorry for the crappy picture and weird angle. Its my phone camera.

Soon, re painting the frown, weathering and insides.

:)

Saludos

I painted the frown black with a mix of flat andsatin black from humbrol. It went out awesome! At least the color. Hehehe. The shape is not that bad either.

So, here are some pictures of the bucket in its current form, as a TK.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the metalizing job so that the mic tips look metal like the originals from ROTJ.

Posted Image

And a little preview of the replica insides.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still to come, get new silkscreened decals and then into SE style Weathering.

What do you think?

So...

I opened the eyes a bit and the teeth too.

I ended up opening the teeth much more than I thought but it felt right to do it, so...

Also, extended the frown a bit to the right and made it more round on the end.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

What do you think?

I am still not 100% happy with the frown, so I might correct some stuff, specially at both ends. They look too narrow... just a bit off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

its been a while since my JoeR cucket first arrived in february 2011 till today. Focusing in many projects in Real Life, including a baby girl born the same day the bucket arrived. But I have been patient and worked on the bucket, gathering all the parts I needed to build a ROTJ replica that I then could turn into a SE TD.

I know that technically the SE buckets are not ROTJ but made from a different badge around 15 or so years later and that they are similar to the tour helmets but well... this is the closest we are able to get, and probably the closest we will ever be.

So...

I gathered the bucket, the correct hardware and used the correct assembling technique (AFAIK).

Then had to have the replica vintage hard hat liner from a run Sskunky did a couple years ago.

Also had to go through a couple Bubble lenses sets until I had the correct ones in green from riveting.

Finally, after looking for a correct silk screened set of ROTJ decals, went back to Sskunky to get a replica (even if not silk screen) set of ROTJ decals that fit awesome!

Also added a set of chin straps from Karin with vintage "snaps".

Added some weathering (not enough yet, need to perfect it)... and, a ROTJ replica is done.

Here are a few picts from my phone and hope to get some professional picts taken soon.

MY SE TD bucket in its form/stage of ROTJ replica...

First, this is the ROTJ look I got inspired by:

Posted Image

And this is my bucket:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The insides:

Posted Image

And me in my ROTJ mode.

Posted Image

Even if it is not 100% done, have to say that I loved working in this bucket. It is a very cool, detailed and awesome kit. The ROTJ look was not my fav, but must admit that I have found a new love for it. Never will it surpass the ANH or the Sandtrooper love I have, but this is now probably my second fav look for a bucket.

The JoeR kit is awesome and the details and little defects gotten from the original helmet are awesome!

So... what do you think?

Saludos.

Wow, great bucket bro. I hate the SE Sandtroopers with a passion.... Yet I still feel the need for one of the for my display. I've never been keen on the ROTJ trooper but as much as I hate it, I love it. Weird eh?

I have seen the helmet on FB as well and I must really say that you did an awesome job Juan!

...even though the ROTJ isn't my favourite, this would look good on a shelf in my house too :yes: