ROM/FX Voice Amp

solarpickle

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He just finished selling his last batch. They go pretty fast so you need to keep an eye on his site. If you read his forums section you can keep up with his current production run and get onto the list to buy one.

Join up on the discution board of his, he posts when he starts a new run. Over on the RPB he has said he will be doing another run shortly. The amp is just fantasmic, you will like it alot. It's not cheap but for this kind of quality the price cant be beat.

I just got my brand new ROM/FX in the mail on April 20th. I've been trooping for 5 years, and I've tried a lot of others and this is THE BEST. It totally finishes of your armor. Expensive, yes, but well worth it. If you can, get one!

I saw all the Push-to-talk info, & didn't realize that they were simply two-way radios. My concern still stands though because I'm just looking for something to use with my amp/FX box.

I couldn't find an email address there, but there's TONS of "throat mics" up on Ebay. Maybe I'll ask some of them.

I talked with fire fox and they said it should work just fine. It is a two pole 2mm plug in. Meaning the two bands around the pin that plugs into the unit are the poles. the ROM has a 3.5mm plug in but you can purchase a converter from 3.5 to 2mm at Radio Shack. I bought one for just a couple dollars because I was trying to use my boom from my cell phone but it end up being to far from my mouth. They have the sportsman model at firefox for 34.99. You can add a FSR radio later on if your garrisonsquad wants to be able to keep in contact. It has a switch

to crossover. I have the Radio Shack headset with the bendable boom mic and its a pain in the @##! Especially if you wear a TE helmet. The boom is sandwiched in between my two fans that are mounted on the frown which leaves a hum through the voice amp. Sounds like I'm carrying a small powerplant on my back. Here is how it works

http://www.firefoxtech.com/intro/index.htm

Ok, this is weird.

I got the throat mic in the mail, & ran to radio shack to buy some adapters. I got a 3/32 -> 1/8 stereo converter & a stereo -> dual mono converter. The problem is that no matter how I hook it up the mic doesn't work. Instead, the earpiece is acting like a mic! I don't know if it's just incompatible or if I have some wires crossed.

I did notice that radio shack carries a brand of throat mics with different adapters built in. I didn't take too close of a look, but I think it was only $15.

Any advice on the hookups would be appreciated.

The throat mic itself has an earbud built in because it's for an FRS(?) radio. So I first convert it's smaller, stereo jack into the size I need & then break that out into separate mono jacks. At least that's what my intension was. Maybe I'll give Firefox a call on in the morning to get their take on it.

I picked up the Radio Shack brand over the weekend just to see if I could get ANYTHING working. It runs on 2 AAA batteries & has both a 3/32 mono connector & a 1/8 mono connector.

The 1/8 connection still does NOT work with my amp, but if I plugged the 3/32 into the 3/32 to 1/8 STEREO adapter it works perfectly!!

So, anyone interested in one of those Firefox throat mics?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all - thought I'd say that I've been using one of these for 2 years now (I had one of the first batch) and it's great. The only downside is they go through batteries like nothing on earth and I feel naked if I can't talk to the girlies

G

PS - just don't put the transistor radio effect up too much as you end up sounding like metal mickey.

he is making a new batch. but hope you like spending over $200.00 for it in it's plainest no sound effects version.

I really want the Pro version but just can't justify the price at this time. Someday.

the voice amp I have works great and I don't really need the laser blast sound at this time.

I LOVE the static clicks.

I have read that it is fairly easy to build a static box. About $25 with stuff you can get at radio shack. Now, what those things are, and how they work, I don't know. I've looked & asked around, but no one seems to know. Answers, anyone?

Hyperdyene has been out of the trooper boards for quite a while now. I recently purchased one of his vortex boards an am extremly pleased with it. One feature that is very handy is that the input/output uses only one channel of the stereo (the left I believe). You can hook up an extra microphone to the other input and have it output to a speaker in your helmet. Now if that extra mic is placed somewhere outside your armor inconspicuously you can pipe in to your helmet outside noise i.e. others talking to you making it so much easier to hear all those questions everyone around you are asking. Also it has a feedback cancelling feature that works fantasticly. I am able to turn my amp up full volume without any feedback at all.