urgent armour advice please!

TD-4935

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi thanks but it is kinda like oo-tee-dee says .Being new to this you kinda wanna fit in and not get it wrong through fear of judgement, And having a kit a different shade to every one else would do that.

If any one has a TE2 kit in the UK what colour do you paint it.

Finally anyone who has a AP kit from the first run would you swap it for one of the new ones and if no why

Halfords appliance white is a good one to use mate. all the scouts sprayed their lids with this stuff.

i don't think there would be any judgements about your armour unless it was put together badly and then it would be pointed out in a helpfull manner. my only concern for oo-tee-dee was/is the issue of clearence by the GL. AP has advised not to spray the kit but if it stands out as being too different by contrast to the other kits (and i think it's borderline on this) then it will have to be sprayed. i know all the troopers armour is very slightly different in hue but in the flesh with the armour here in front of me IMHO i think it will be deemed too blue/grey. god knows i hope it isn't as it is a great kit and i feel bad for bringing it up as i have nothing but praise for AP. Whatever course of action we take oo-tee-dee wil have a superb trooper.

at the end of the day i'd rather have a slightly darker AP than a pure white FX.

Hi thanks but it is kinda like oo-tee-dee says .Being new to this you kinda wanna fit in and not get it wrong through fear of judgement, And having a kit a different shade to every one else would do that.

If any one has a TE2 kit in the UK what colour do you paint it.

Finally anyone who has a AP kit from the first run would you swap it for one of the new ones and if no why

I have the AP and I painted it because I did a poor job gluing it together. If you just overlap the two halves of most parts when gluing then it doesnt get too messy. I however decided to go the longer more accurate route of adding the strip to the two halves and not overlapping them. This method was very messy for me. I ended up sanding the whole thing down and scraping the glue off as needed. It looks great now, but PHEW! What a pain in the butt I caused myself.

I also chose the Rustoleum professional gloss white in the tall can. It was an incredible finish where I didnt have alot of sanding. However, where there was considerable sanding it just krikled and fish eyed and orange peekled. I ended up putting several coats of Krylon Fusion gloss white on and wet sanding between coats. The finished product looks the business, but it was alot of work. I felt like I was doing bodywork on a car!

I havent had any chipping issues yet, but the paint is already starting to get hairline cracks in areas that flex alot. There is no way to avoid this I think.

I also have to say that I was VERY WORRIED about the finish. The armor is for the Rose Parade. If I was going sandy, I wouldnt sweat the small stuff. Sand it down lightly with 600 grit. Make sure its clean and grease free, and paint it with thye Kryon Fusion. The finish is acceptable and after the dirt and all.... Its awesome.

I wouldnt trade my armor for another set of anything at this point. TOO MUCH WORK into it.

maybe my other kits are HIPS as they melted when dremeled and gave off a not so nasty whiff. now i'm doubly confused

I got AP (ABS) armor, good smell when cut ex.

But yes when i cut my MH/SB (HIPS), the smell was different.

Maby a bit more smelly then the ABS.

Guys. For the most part ABS is a blueish white up against a painted set. Thats not so unusual. Hey, as long as its not fragile and can be painted who cares? Use the Krylon fusion, it works great!

Its just a different shade of plastic.

The only milky white armor I have ever seen was my RT-MOD from Canada. He used .093 thick ABS that was clearly different in color from the FX kits which use the blueish ABS from the US. I bet if I still had my RT, that my AP would be a blue'r shade too.

No biggy. I can tell you this much, that pull on the AP faceplate looks really nice and tight. Send it here, I will take it. HEE HEE!!!

Now if its too thin, I would definetely call him on it. My AP set isnt too thin. I would say its .060-.080 thickness. Some parts are thinner than others too. The higher the mold sets off the vac table, the thinner the pull. So Helmets and chest and back will be a little thinner. Also smaller parts, he uses thinner plastic, like hand guards and ears. On my AP the thinnest part was the face plate. It was very fragile. I ended up ruining it.

When I asked AP to sell me another, he kept putting me off, saying that he would get back to me on the next run. I ended up buying a TE instead, and I am happy with it. That was an expensive mistake.

Copy yhat on the thinner parts.

I got the first runs of AP armor 05, almost all the parts are the same strong thickness 80 thick glossy milky white ABS plastic.

But yes my AP from 06 was in a different white colour (blue), and thinner.

I will say it goes up and down from 60 to 80 on the parts.

Regards troopes

I will say it goes up and down from 60 to 80 on the parts.

Do you mean some parts are made from .60 and some .80 or just that the .80 thins out to .60 at the bottom edges of the formings where they have stretched more?

I mean the part two.

That the parts are around 80 thick, but some where on the edges they goes down to around 60 thick (and on the round parts end e.g skin bone ex.).

Iam not a master in how to make a armor, so my advice might not be 100%.

Regards my friend. And to you.

A while ago, I purchased a GF which I painted with Krylon Fusion (river rock and gloss white) and added Keith's hovi-mix...great idea from TD-1536 BTW...

I recently purchased an AP kit and started on the helmet. I took a pic to show how mine looks blue as well. I purhcased my kit about 2 months ago. I plan on painting it up but I'm not sure about the armor. I'm going dirty so I don't think it will matter too much and most troopers have said that the helmets were a different color than the armor so (hopefully) no worries!

Posted Image

Harry

Another question - have been advised not to spray armour for fear of the paint chipping or cracking. But if I stick out a mile next to the other creamy white TKs then I won't have a choice.

Any other TKs out there sprayed their armour, if so was it OK or are you having nightmares with the finish and chipping?

Well our lovely GL said it would get clearence as is so we decided not to paint it. once all the brow trim and detailing was on it didin't look so bad.

it is still a little on the dull side but nothing a good buffing won't solve.

Well, it no longer looks blue! I would have guessed you painted it.

Amazing that the detail (The black of the brow and the various grey areas) 'sucked' all of the blueish look from it.

I had hoped it would change the contrast and admittedly it has, unfortunatley it hasn't changed the fact it is blue white when next to other kits. this was my only beef with it and still is but the GL said it will be o.k. and thats good enough for me

Got my green lenses thru today but one of them has a massive crease in it :( so will have to go back

Posted Image

I also didn't realise how thick they were - I have astigmatism in my left eye and if the plastic is even remotely warped will it aggravate it and give me loads of headaches?

What is best for vision - the hard plazzy lenses or acetate?

I thought that's what you mean't Rolf It's safe to say that due to some of the acute shapes of the armour then it's going to thin out more than obtuse shapes.It happens with my stuff and I hear it also happens with AA/SDS so no need to worry.

Copy that my friend.