Gray bottle alternative

TD-1536

I had wondered about the bottles being slightly different as well. While I don't think the difference is huge (1/2" or less) On several packs the diameter appears different. In a stroke of coincedence, without realizing it until I had painted them, my bottles vary in diameter by about 3/16".

For the most part, I think the 20oz. Metamucil bottles work great, you just have to cut off about an inch of hidth.

Is "hidth" a new way of saying height and width together? Sorry, been out of the loop for a long time.

haha... yeap, silly me.

Kids, don't drink beer.

I'm thinking hit it with some Krylon Fusion, then cover the Krylon with the Country Blue Rustoleum.

I think the Fushion is the best bet. That stuff's insane! I took a peice of left over brow and tested the river rock and white on it. After it cured/dried for about a week I bent the peice nearly in half and it didn't chip at all. It just showed a very very tiny tiny couple of stress marks...did I mention they were very tiny. LOL Amazing stuff Mike!

Another question...I noticed that TK409 mentions "slate blue". I used American Accents Slate Blue http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/prod ... 00.jpgkind for the pack built I a couple of months ago. I posted it here http://www.mepd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1503 a couple weeks ago to show you what the AA slate blue looks like in a pic. What's everyone's opinion on the differences between slate blue and country blue (or are they same thing just named differently)...?

Next time I hit up Home Depot or Lowes (both within walking distance), I'll check out this Slate Blue. I don't think I've seen it before, otherwise I'm sure I would've picked it up.

Many of the name brands sku numbers are not available at the same places. I've found certain Krylon Fusions at Michael's Crafts... then other unique Rustoleum or Krylons at Wal Mart. Both Home Depot and Lowes seem to carry no Krylons at all, just Rustoleums and off-brands. The Rustoleum American Accents I only recall seeing at hobby stores like Michael's or AC Moore, and they carry them in a much smaller selection than larger chains like Wal Mart.

So i picked up the Wet Ones bottles at Target today, they were in a pack..2 for $3! So tomorrow i think i'm going to prime,paint, and weather the suckers and post some progress pics.

Also...Mike,

I may have missed this already, but how much length/width should i take off of the bottles?

So i picked up the Wet Ones bottles at Target today, they were in a pack..2 for $3! So tomorrow i think i'm going to prime,paint, and weather the suckers and post some progress pics.

Also...Mike,

I may have missed this already, but how much length/width should i take off of the bottles?

I think the 'Wet Ones' bottles are just the right length. I only cut the Metamucil bottles.

Hey guys, new to the thread so bear with me, FINALLY got my stuff to build my GOOD pack after ALL this time. (Hey give the old man a break I was outta troopin fer a bit after all... sheeeesh the younger sandies these days, give em a little bit a dirt.... hehehehh)

Anyway, What I had used on my previous pack, and am going to switch over, is a strw dispenser from Wal Mart. It holds like 200 straws and comes clear. Has a hard plastic top. Paint sticks to this with ease, and it seems to be the perfect size, but that I leave in your guys hands as I never did the full measurements, but I do not believe that cutting it would be a problem. It is already rigid, yet very light. Alo, it has a threaded top, so if you can figure a way to attach it to your pack in a manner that would keep the threads active, as I have, then it creates an EXCELLENT storage spot for carkeys and so on.

And for some reason I cannot get the pic to load. I will work on it some more....

I used the American Accents slate blue as well.

I was having a hard time finding something to use for the big bottle at the bottom.

I finally ended up using a big bottle of non-dairy creamer which I had to chop down a bit.

Posted ImagePosted Image

The only downside was that when I hotglued the end-cap (dessert cup base) on the heat warped the plastic of the bottle (the plastic is pretty thin).

So, after filling in the wrinkles with Bondo, I ended up with a decent enough bottom cannister. I know I could have sanded down the Bondo a little better, but I plan on covering the bottle with a layer of grime so a little texture is actually preferable.

Here's a pic:(Note: The bottle I'm talking about is on the right. The other bottle was a Lysol wipes cannister which has yet to be cut down to a proper height.)

Posted Image