Gray bottle alternative

TD-1536

For the most part, I think the 20oz. Metamucil bottles work great, you just have to cut off about an inch of height.

However, I just found these at Target. I think they look good because they're a little fatter, and just the right height. The only problem is, the plastic it's made from is much more flimsy than the Metamucil bottles, so I'm not sure how paint is going to stick to them. I'm thinking hit it with some Krylon Fusion, then cover the Krylon with the Country Blue Rustoleum.

Metamucil - $9.00

Wet Ones - $3.00

Posted Image

ooo! oooo! me! me!

tupperware pudding/jello bowls

I'll be over here drinking a beer. Keep up the good work.

While the Jello Bowls 'work', I think we're pretty sure it's not exact. So, we encourage people to keep looking for whatever catches your eye.

I'm building on a Jello cup to see if I can come up with a more accurate profile on the flare. Those canisters are nearly identical to what I used, the paint adhesion is poo (mine are HDPE, I'll bet those are as well), so wet sand & prep & prime. Mine lasted through Saturday with only two tiny chips. Also, I filled them with expanding foam to make them more rigid, I think that helped.

I'm building on a Jello cup to see if I can come up with a more accurate profile on the flare. Those canisters are nearly identical to what I used, the paint adhesion is poo (mine are HDPE, I'll bet those are as well), so wet sand & prep & prime. Mine lasted through Saturday with only two tiny chips. Also, I filled them with expanding foam to make them more rigid, I think that helped.

Getting the right color to stick to just about anything is a PITA. I'm always touching up nicks. But I bet getting paint to stick to these 'wet ones' is going to be a show.

haha, i had a hard enough of a time trying to peel the labels off the metamucil bottles. not all of it came off and it became very sticky, but after i primed, painted, and weathered the pieces it actually worked to my advantage. its looks scuffed i guess.

I just couldn't bring myself to buy $9 Metamucil just for the bottles, and I don't think there's really a donation center for handfulls of Metamucil, so I opted for some 24 oz. Rubbermaid water bottles. They trim down easily, are very light, and look pretty close...maybe a little on the thin side. I'll really only know once they're painted and assembled.

One of the cool things about building these packs is that you can continue to tweak things as you go along. If something doesn't quite look right, you can always change that part if something better comes along.

I find that if you also put a few nice coats of paint on them, then a laquor clear coat, then weathering, then Fuller's Earth with hairspray, then more clear coat... you should be in good shape.

The weathering seems to help protect it. I really loaded on that chep-oh hairspray. When I took the pack off I was surprised to see the bottom bottle had only one grain-of-rice-sized chip. After all the stuff I whacked into in the bar, I was expecting major chippage.

i was looking at my shampoo bottles last night and thought IF THEY WERE EMPTY it could work.

might need to be cut down a bit, but so did the metamucil bottles. they're also the same size in diameter

http://couponing.about.com/library/graphics/pertplus.bmp

Now you're using your noodle.

Some of us should get together and take field trips to Home Depot, and go isle by isle just looking for random crap to put to use.

Haha! that would be awesome. just think of the things we would find! probably enough to build a screen accurate death star!

but since we are talking about bottle alternatives, i've been trying to find something to show that the two bottles are different sizes. i think on some packs the bottom bottle is straight up fatter, and the top is slim (and vice versa)

Posted Image

kinda fat bottom bottle?

Posted Image

still they kinda look different sizes, could be the lighting...again its more obvious on some packs more so than others

but i found this in my house and it might work for the bottom bottle.

Posted Image

Posted Image

yes, we going to build up a "where to buy" thread in the german language section also, because most of the stuff you have in the US we don´t have here in germany...

i dont know if they have them in germany but when i lived overseas there was a place called "Decathalon" or something like that and it was a goods/sports goods store that had so much stuff! it was like target and sports authority mixed together.

Larry and I have been in the same boat about them being different sizes

Yeap, Larry was telling me that, too. I don't disagree. As I've always said, I encourage folks to use their best judgement and 'eye' to get things to look correct, don't take my word for it.