Correct sandtrooper backpack main boxes FOUND!

trooperexpert

Well, it was a weird day for us doing the normal goodwill run we do at least once a month. I found 3 of the main upper right boxes on the 'move along' officer pack and just whenI thought we were done, BAM!

I found the basis for the main pack pans under some other crap items. The pan does NOT have the ribs on it. I believe that the pans for the main pack parts were formed as it would have been too flexible to use. We know andrew aintwortha$hit was not the only vac former used for ANH, so deductive reasoning makes a ton of sense here I think. The basis for the other parts used on the pack from the same maker really just screams total logic.

Sadly I was only able to find one pan. But one is good enough for a mold. I will be making on in the next month, well two actually and seeing what we can do. I know when we made our packs we used the marmit as a basis for measuring, as did others here. Plain fact is that it is WAY too tall for the pack, the height of the boxes we made. So, this has the ability to be the most accurate packs to be made real fast based on this new find.

Pics will come soon and I will show them off once I wake up and have some coffee. Also a few more goodwills to hit today so I will see what the total take is. I did also find a vac pitcher and am hoping to have a few more soon. I know Guns found some! WOO!

Matt

Way cool Matt! It seems that the main boxes are most people's problem when they are trying to make a pack. If that thing ain't right tha whole thang ain't right. Awesome to know that, now, we'll be able to do it right! Take care and great to hear your still with us!

Would be VERY interested in knowing the rough dimensions of the pan to see how close they come to the dimensions I have come up with.

Also, did the pan you find have the detail indicated below? This detail doesn't prove the real pans were molded but indicate a strong likelyhood that they were molded instead of formed. Still, looking forward to seeing what you have found.

Posted Image

I wouldn't doubt that the pans themselves were used, even if they were kinda flimsy. Although, if the pans were copied & formed, I don't see any reason why the small detail would not have remained. If this was a found item, it would have been cheaper to buy 20 of them than go to the trouble of vacc-forming them. Is it possible the slats were added on top? I always figured it was part of the box, but they could have been onlaid prior to painting.

Would be VERY interested in knowing the rough dimensions of the pan to see how close they come to the dimensions I have come up with.

Also, did the pan you find have the detail indicated below? This detail doesn't prove the real pans were molded but indicate a strong likelyhood that they were molded instead of formed. Still, looking forward to seeing what you have found.

Posted Image

That detail has intrigued me as well, certainly a tell-tale sign of the correct pan, if you ever found it.

Agreed. Looking at it more, it does look like that detail could be vacced in with no problem. Interesting that the two details are different. Of course they are on opposite ends of the pan but makes you wonder why there is a somewhat asymetrical aspect to what otherwise appears to be a symetrical part. Makes you wonder if they are two halves of a whole unit. I tend to think not since they are taped together on the one pack but that certainly isn't conclusive proof.

This is what I get for paying attention at the work place rather than goofing off on the Sandtrooper site. Seems like every time I turn around, TE's got some new info being ready to be hurled at us. Good stuff. Can't wait to see pics. I've been needing to make a backpack so whatever you're found out will be really helpfull and cool for all.

They look to me like the could be some kind of chemecal trey like the ones used in developing film. They sure look familiar for some reason I just can't seem to place it.

You're right. They do sort of look like Developing Trays.

They look to me like the could be some kind of chemecal trey like the ones used in developing film. They sure look familiar for some reason I just can't seem to place it.

You're right. They do sort of look like Developing Trays.

I don't have any pictures yet but I use the plastic trays that farmers/greenhouses use for starting seeds. They're cheap (.89 cents each) and readily available. I cut sections out of the middle with scissors and then rejoin them for the correct lenght. When hot glued together to form the box they become quite strong but are still very light. The trays I use have more ribs than those pictured above but work nicely for me.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but just an idea.

It will be while before I can get the pics up and I am sorry about that. folks computer is so messed up I cannot load a single image anymore. I am waiting for a laptop from my buddy so hopefully soon.

Braks, well I am sorry but I dont think ANYONE knows the correct dimensions and I am sure that if it looks pretty close we will just have to work with what we got. I know we spoke in the past about the genral size, but being dead on I think is a pure impossibility so many years later and since no packs survived. I did see the SE packs at the archives, but those are a HUGE formed shell and a few parts added on here and there.

Again, as soon as I can upload I will share!

Matt