Correct sandtrooper backpack main boxes FOUND!

trooperexpert

Looking at the pics,the pans look metal to me and the corners have fixing lugs pressed/moulded into them to keep them together.I am trying hard to think where I have seen these as they look really familiar.I am sure I have used something very similar to these before.Do we have any clear shots of a full pan?

If you need a rough idea of the size,the mortar tubes are 68mm wide (2.75") if that helps?

edit:I seem to remember a rubber gasket in between the two halves......

haha it looks like a pan you make corn bread in! you know what im talking about? i dunno the right name, but i know my mom breaks it out to bake corn bread everytime, it even has those bumps on the bottom.

LOOOOONNNNNGGG SHOOOTT

but then again, i was just in my basement the other night, and my dad was painting a wall with a roller. that box on the backpack also looks like it could be the tray that holds the paint so you can roll your roll brush in. you know what im saying the little ridges match that description too..

ok...i quit

I found vintage dark-room film developing trays on ebay that looks REALLY close. They were the same basic shape, even had the the same three-lines on top (and yes I know the bottom pans had five), but the lips on them was different and they did not have the edge details, either.

Based on that find, I'm really siding with film-developing trays of some sort.

ebay link

I doubt it is the developing trays unless you can get them that fix together.Looking at the pic Mike posted,you can clearly see the lugs where the bolt goes through on the left hand side and the right has a threaded lug.It might not be a gas or oil pan,but it is something along those lines if you ask me.Remember the prop guys just used anything that was laying about

Posted Image

****, thats not an oil pan.. It is a transmission pan for an automatic transmission. Size and depth of the cooling fins would not work for an oil pan. That is an AT tranny pan. Size suggests some kind of military vehilce and IF there are not holes where the bolts are supposed to go, they are vacc'd over a metal pan.

****... Well, start looking at large military vehicles...

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to lean towards some sort of photo/film development tray. I get the impression that if it was supposed to be an automotive oil pan, then beading (or the indentations) would be a bit larger. I could be mistaken of course since I don't know much about automotive tools, equipment, etc.

Based on that find, I'm really siding with film-developing trays of some sort.

I have to agree. Do a google search and you'll see what I mean.

They look really close. The drain spout and the edge roll isn't right, but it's closer than the litter pans I bought.

Since the lightsaber props were made from photo equipment, it kind of makes sense that they may have used photo developing trays.

Now, which vintage developing trays were used? Anyone?

Well, Mike (TB1536) told me that his pans were 3" deep, 10.5" wide and 14" long and his are the best looking I've seen. He said that his boxes seem to be about 15% too big. If you can find trays close to these measurements, or a little smaller, you should be good. I know that's what I'm working on.

I'm going to a photo studio next week to see what I can find. The owner of the place says he has some old photo equipment.

• 2 months later...

Well, I dont think its a tranny pan or any othe rauto part. Those notches in the corners suggest that the pans are stackable. I can imagine them being stacked 15- 20 high. Hospital supply.... Food service....Camera rooms....

They almost look like those pans with the sliding clear tops for storage. kind of old school rubbermaid.

I am leaning toward Hospital storage pans with sliding lids. Weren't they a powder blue also?

Well, I dont think its a tranny pan or any othe rauto part. Those notches in the corners suggest that the pans are stackable. I can imagine them being stacked 15- 20 high. Hospital supply.... Food service....Camera rooms....

They almost look like those pans with the sliding clear tops for storage. kind of old school rubbermaid.

I am leaning toward Hospital storage pans with sliding lids. Weren't they a powder blue also?

Baxter made trays that looked to be similar color. I think they're a medical supply company. We have a Baxter tray at my place. I think my mother had gotten it a while back. She's a nurse. She's worked in several different hospitals so that would be my guess as to another possible idea about the boxes.