right colors ? or to dirty:)

Sith-Necromancer

Those are old pictures of Chris's armor. I personally think it's too black, and needs more earth tones. However, I've seen it in person at C3 where there was much less weathering and looked more appropriate.

is there a such thing as a sandtrooper who is to dirty?

I think so.

In our Garrison, we have a former Marine who served in Iraq and knows first hand what things look like when they're used for combat in the desert. He's always telling me that white plastic would not look like the way we've painted ours to look. I would have to agree with him, but I think think that some humidity would escape from the inside of our armor, and create 'wet spots' on the armor where sand/dirt would accumulate. I would also think even with casual wear, there would be a light dusting.

One thing to keep in mind, is that while it sounds a little backward - less IS more. The human eye can detect the slightest blemishes and notices when a Stormtrooper is dirty compared to filthy.

It'd be cool to get input or pointers from someone who's spent time in a desert environment.

I have to agree that it is possible for a TD to be too dirty. I've seen TDs who look they were in a condiment fight or had their armor rubbed down with dirty diapers. My biggest fear is falling into that category once I get my armor.

I think it depends on what kind of dirt look you're going after. TK409 has more of a sooty dirt that could be from vehicle exhaust, etc. that will stick & has nothing do to with sand. Personally I like that look alot.

OTOH, the browner/sandy look is supposed to reflect more of a sandy environment. As pointed out it wouldn't really get that dirty (if it did, we wouln't have to paint these guys), but it does convey that you've been in a sandy environment.

I'd agree - I hate the overly dirty look. But then, to each his own. I like the sooty look, others like the sandy look, etc. do what you think fits the vision you have in your minds eye.

is there a such thing as a sandtrooper who is to dirty?

I think so.

In our Garrison, we have a former Marine who served in Iraq and knows first hand what things look like when they're used for combat in the desert. He's always telling me that white plastic would not look like the way we've painted ours to look. I would have to agree with him, but I think think that some humidity would escape from the inside of our armor, and create 'wet spots' on the armor where sand/dirt would accumulate. I would also think even with casual wear, there would be a light dusting.

One thing to keep in mind, is that while it sounds a little backward - less IS more. The human eye can detect the slightest blemishes and notices when a Stormtrooper is dirty compared to filthy.

Right there with you. Trying to attain that "middle ground" myself... Maybe we shoudl come up with the "Sewer Trooper" designation for those who are overly grungy..

i like this version from tk 409 but i´m not sure if i should do it like him or not! so i posted that threed and i hoped that u all like it. but it isn´t so :( ! now i´m unsure what i have to do! bracks version is nice but i ont like the color. i wouldn´t look realistik like re4al soldiers in combat. but i want to look as near as possible like the davin felth trooper !

i dont know whats the right way to look like that now

i like this version from tk 409 but i´m not sure if i should do it like him or not! so i posted that threed and i hoped that u all like it. but it isn´t so :( ! now i´m unsure what i have to do! bracks version is nice but i ont like the color. i wouldn´t look realistik like re4al soldiers in combat. but i want to look as near as possible like the davin felth trooper !

i dont know whats the right way to look like that now

Then perhaps you should try to find as many screen captures and behind-the-scenes pictures as possible, and go for that look. Brak's sells a CD with numerous images. I'd also recommend the 70mm CD, too.

hey man, i didn´t say i do not like that look!!!!

YOU should decide what you like best! it is YOUR decision and YOU are the one who wears that armor...

if you like the more darker style more, than GO FOR IT! REALLY!

@ TK-1536

what is the 70mm CD?

i knew you like this particular trooper, TK-412!

and he has a nice shoulder pouch also...

(sorry, i just couldn´t resist once again... seems to be our running gag,huh?)

While many people like the weathering pattern I did on my trooper, I now believe that the screen-used armor was much more... dare I say... boring. I think it was a monotone, not the multicolored look we go for. I have yet to determine exactly what the color was, but I tend to think it was a very dark chocolate brown, almost black and not the warmer colors we tend to think. One of the problems is that it seems like the weathering was only applied ONCE and slowly eroded during filming. Some of the early shots show the troopers to be absolutely NASTY while later shots (not always later in the film chronology but later in FILMING chronology show the exact smae weathering patterns but they have lightened up considerably. If I ever do another sandtrooper the weathering will be a single color and not the multicolor approach I took before. It may not be as visually appealing but I think it will be closer to screen accurate, which is what I go for. Your weathering choices really come down to three things. Do you want it to be screen accurate? Do you want it to look "real world?" Do you just want it to look "cool?" Pic one and go for it!

i have noticed in some pictures it looks like the weathering was applied while the armor was being worn.if you look at the picture of the move along trooper from the side it looks like there is no weathering behind his belt.i remember another picture that looked like no weathering under the chest armor.any thoughts.

So, has anyone ID'd the painter? Maybe he remembers the method. For my first weathering, I used a one-color VERY dark brown, almost black. I liked it, but it seemed way too dark. Maybe if I had used a lighter touch.. I like the "davin felth tutorial" layering, although it tends to look a bit greenish under some lighting.

hm think everybody has to find his way to weather his armor ...

i dont like the multicolor . but i like the darker look ... and i like battle damage ! so i´ll try to to look like these therms. because i´ve to troop with it and i have to like it i think thats my way ! and i hope u like my weathering to ... so if we all like it ... i´ll be proud on it ... we will see thanks for the feedback

i´m wondering because i watched the galerie from the film pictures and i saw sandtroopers with dropboxes or "wrong" ab ...