New Weatehring Method Tested and PROVEN

TD3306

this method is for ABS armor only!!! styrene will ripple if subjecated to this method.

after staring at my tv for hours upon end, scanning for TD details i found that obviously there are troopers who are dirty with "sand" and troopers that are dirty from "carbon scoring" this humble little "how to" is how to do the "carbon scoring weathering"

its so simple that even a jawa could pull it off

1. take a piece of your armor, like a extra shim and test this to see if you like it.

2. take a bic lighter, actually you will need 2-3 for some reason they get hot, but take the lighter and run it over the details of your armor, the black smoke that is produced will get into the details of the armor and stay there, its VERY natural looking and easy to do, not to mention, if you want to remove the "carbon" just whip out your handy dandy bottle of polish that came with your kit and it will come right off.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Since I braze copper refrigeration lines, I know that an Oxy/Acetylene torch with more acetylene pumping through than oxygen (aka carburizing flame) will produce a TON of black sticky soot. It does NOT have to be a huge flame, nor do you have to actually put the flame directly to the plastic either! Just put the armor over the flame and the "floaters" will rise up and stick to it, plus you can gently smear it in, then hair spray it (or something) to keep it in place. Try it, you MIGHT like it!!!

• 4 weeks later...

If you are going to use the flame method plese use a candle. If a lighter gets too hot they explode. I've seen it happen at concerts.

A Zippo won't. Most cigarette lighters (disposable) use pressurized butane. Zippos use a more oily fuel doesn't burn as clean--hence the soot.

Take a gum eraser (quality kneadable kind, usually green).... knead it into a log shape and then light the end (in a well ventilated area). hold this under the piece you want to carbonize, and viola, instant carbon build up.

P.S. I have used this method since the 70's - specifically on Star Wars models, styrene takes it and it looks good...

Take a gum eraser (quality kneadable kind, usually green).... knead it into a log shape and then light the end (in a well ventilated area). hold this under the piece you want to carbonize, and viola, instant carbon build up.:

This sounds like the best tip so far, and I'm sure your significant other will love the smell you've introduced to your home.

• 2 months later...