Moisture Farm Patrol

TD1009

In response to posts in this thread

Originally we wanted to be a Squad but all our Sandtroopers were too spread out to be limited to a specific geographic area plus we wanted it to be a Sandtrooper only deal. Think of it as a potential detachment (we sent in an application last month but it's a bad time to get 501st business done what with the election, we'll follow up after the election) that focuses on the outlying Tatooine areas, beyond the cities. Our requirements are a little different from the MEPD and we want to be oriented towards accomplishing as many charity troops as we can. It's in no way supposed to compete with the MEPD and I fully expect all our members to strive for deployment in both, I know I do.

Also, once there was a Star Wars group in Richmond, VA called the Moisture Farm Co-Op and this is partly a revival of that name and spirit.

*edited to change subject - removing reference to creating another detachment

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. I understand all the back story, etc. I just question the need/want to have an additional Sandtrooper detachment when... there already is one. Sounds more like an elite 'club' than a detachment, which is fine. We're all doing this for fun, so I don't care either way.

I might suggest something a little more fitting or less confusing like Squad or Platoon. I know I'd certainly have no aversion to starting a Sandtrooper squad here in Maryland, I'd make up the logos, patches, etc. would be fun.

Maybe I'm taking all this too seriously and am just bored at work.

Not to be a bummer or anything, but detachments are costume based, and there is already a sandtrooper detachment. (I could be wrong, but I think there can only be one detachment per costume) The concept of doing lots of charity related troops is great, but I'm missing the point of an additional detachment. As far as a non-geographically centric, sandtrooper-only group, here you are. In the coming year, I would really like to see more MEPD-driven charity work, as a whole, and within our respective garrisons. Creating multiple groups trying to do about the same things will serve to confuse perspective members, and dilute the overall efforts. If the the reason for starting this is at least in part because of a shortcoming of the MEPD, bring it to my attention. My intention is to make this detachment everything it can be, and everything it's members want it to be. Please don't take exception to any of this, but it's just my first impression of the idea. If I'm missing the purpose, please correct me.

Tyranus

I don´t want to be missundertanded or rude, is just that why another detachment of sandtroopers if already exist one?

I know there are no rules against or pro in the charter, but ussualy is only one per type

And if you are a sandtrooper your group shold have the same requirements as us, arent you?

anyway you ar our brothers in dirty!

I bring here this post from the other.

And I see I´m not the only one with the same doubt

As far as a non-geographically centric, sandtrooper-only group, here you are.

Excellent question. It would be great to state what you are trying to do that the MEPD curently doesn't.

I think it's cool to create "patrols" w/in one's garrison to promote esprit de corp and want to do the same in my own garrison, but creating a new detatchment that does 99% of what a current one already does...seems to promote disharmony amongst our ranks...

Absolutely we are brothers!!

This does not have anything to do with any shortcomings of the MEPD and as I said is not meant to compete wit the MEPD in any way. I could not find any information about conflicting detachments in the 501st charter but I see your point. It takes 5 501st members to make a new Detachment and the parameters are left to those members to specify, please correct me if that is a mis-reading of the rules governing detachments, we just wanted to have a group and a name and still be MEPD. There is no limit to how many detachments a 501st member can belong too. This is small beans, we ain't going to be recruiting as an alternative at all.

This idea started as a squad which is a better way of looking at this but too many of our Sandtrooper friends were being left out due to the geographic and non costume parameter limitations of a 501st Squad as outlined in the 501st charter. So we re-read the charter and decided to persue a detachment, a companion small sandtrooper detachment, a moisture farm patrol.

The paramenters we want to govern the MFP are:

Dirt

Sniper knee plate

Sandtrooper ab plate

Pouch

Pauldron

No drop boxes

No detonator

Participation in at least 2 charity troops a year.

BFG and field pack are optional, reflecting the diverse parameters seen in ANH.

This is bloody embarressing and this isn't the way I would have liked to sort out these issues but better sooner than later! We may have to re-visit the charter and see what we need to do, there is no doubt 2 detachments are redundant, and an informal "patrol" may make the most sense!! Thanks for the sugestion.

So if I'm reading it correctly, if the MEPD banned drop boxes & detonators, then the only differences left are

1. BFG requirement of MEPD

2. Pack requirement of MEPD

3. 2 charity events a year.

Correct? I'd think upping the MEPD for the first two would be trivial, so it really leaves 1-3, no?

I'm not trying to shoot down your idea - don't get me wrong here - but it seems that instead of forming a separate detachment from the MEPD, it might make more sense to set up a "detachment w/in a detachment" for MFP. Maybe as a junior level MEPD or MEPD light for those who are close but not quite up to MEPD, as the BFG & pack take up the most time & $$$.

Then a person's progression would be:

TK -> 501st TD -> MFP -> MEPD

Would that work?

You're right, there is nothing in the charter against two detachments. I would however, like to see the two (possible) detachments linked in some way. If there is enough momentum from the membership of MEPD police officers, requirements may be expanded or reviewed. Although, I personally would not want to see BFG's and backpacks go away for MEPD.

If BFG's aren't required for Patrol, you need to edit your squad logo

I think this proposal falls short in two areas:

First, we already have a detachment for Sandtroopers. Two detachments would only lead to confusion, and perhaps a splintering of the group here

Second, anyone who does not meet the standards for an MEPD TD can still meet the 501st definition of a TD, or be happy as a plain old TK. There is no need for more specialized groupings. What's next, a detachment of sandtroopers who prefer to carry dewback prods instead of BFGs? A squad of confused sandtroopers who like to wear pauldrons on their left shoulders?

And I disagree that the BFG and backpack are the toughest requirements of the MEPD. I believe they are the dirt and the ab plate. Specifically because these are two (generally) unchangeable options. Once you have dirt and an ab plate, IMHO you are a sandtrooper, never mind what's in your hand or on your back. It's real easy for a TK to grab a big gun, pauldron and backpack and be "Mr. TD" today, and throw them back in the closet and be "Mr. TK" tomorrow. MEPD are dedicated to be sandtroopers.

I'm not hung up on the requirements and we didn't create them as any reflection of the MEPD or any commentary on the toughness to aquire them, the way I see it anyone able to create a good Sandtrooper can make a pack and BFG. It just reflects what I see when I watch ANH. I wouldn't change MEPD requirements (except drop boxes and detonator) and I'm going to seek deployment to the MEPD when my pack is finished.

As far as charity being required by the 501st, getting people to do charity troops in VA is hard work we felt we had to make that a part of the deal.

Okay. So I'm thinking we shouldn't be a detachment, being that the requirements and the spector of competition are such a sore spot here. I really never imagined after reading the 501st charter that multiple detachments was that big a deal but I'm not going to step on anyone's toes, not here, my favorite spot in the 501st.

The MFP started because we had a group of Sandtroopers that were close friends that wanted to have an official 501st designation and an excuse to do charity work while striving for screen accurate sandtrooper costumes, that's why to us it didn't matter if you had TD status just be screen accurate. We never saw this as any competition with MEPD just a charter sanctioned group of individuals. I see the MEPD as THE sandtrooper detachment, this was just a small excuse to do our own thing.

I think the un-official Patrol status may be the respectful and un-controversial way to leave everyone happy and I will strive to make that happen, reasonable easy since our application is still pending.

Even without the detachment status I hope we can be closely associated with the MEPD, most of our members are here, lurking mostly I guess.

Luke

I really understand your reasons and they are ok! maybe this is the firts time it happen in this form, lets say, is a great idea, but the ejecution maybe is not the right way

The important here is to find a way in wich you can have your own personality, but not to get others members confused with double standars or groups, we all are brothers in this, and I insist much in this point as you can see

All we need is to find a way, and this forum es exact the right place to do it, and I certanly we will

Hi Gang,

One of the 'lurking' Moisture Farm Patrol members here. I just wanted to reiterate that our group does not want to detract in any way from the MEPD. I also want to be PART OF IT. I'm basically reiterating Luke's position but I did not want there to be any doubt as to our intentions.

My thought is... as the MEPD grows, it would seem the formation of patrols, squads, platoons, whatever you want to call them would be a GOOD thing. I understand if you dont think thats necessary in a detatchment... but the detatchment is nationwide/worldwide in fact! We should all be very proud of that. I think it would also be great to have recognition for active groups of friends/localities within the MEPD. Im just happy to have a chance here to voice opinions and listen to suggestions, etc. Lets talk about it and see if we can make this happen.

I have been a TD for only a short time so have not had much to add to this thread yet, but I am truly greatful to be a part of it. I'm a much better Sandie thanks to the MEPD. Luke and Ward have also helped me immensely, they are good guys.

I might suggest something a little more fitting or less confusing like Squad or Platoon.

I think it's cool to create "patrols" w/in one's garrison to promote esprit de corp and want to do the same in my own garrison, but creating a new detatchment that does 99% of what a current one already does...seems to promote disharmony amongst our ranks...

My thought is... as the MEPD grows, it would seem the formation of patrols, squads, platoons, whatever you want to call them would be a GOOD thing. I understand if you dont think thats necessary in a detatchment...

I think that many are in agreement of the thought of adding a Squad, Patrol or Platoon would be a good thing. IMHO the creation of two detachments was the big part of the discussion, because it would be extremely confusing.

I am all for the creation of patrols or platoons. Where Sandies only could go troop for charity. Because that is what it is all about anyway, besides adults being able to get suited up as their favorite character

Hmmm,

The Mos Eisley Police Department with a "Moisture Farm" Patrol? How many sandtroopers would join me in the "Waikiki Beach" Patrol? I've already got ideas for a patch/logo/tees/and stickers! heehee!

Guns

Hmmm,

The Mos Eisley Police Department with a "Moisture Farm" Patrol? How many sandtroopers would join me in the "Waikiki Beach" Patrol? I've already got ideas for a patch/logo/tees/and stickers! heehee!

Guns

Hey I'd be ready for Waikiki, Ala Moana, Haleiwa or a North Shore patrol!!

Especially considering where I'm stuck now.

Hmm makes me wonder what ours would be. Our beaches aren't always warm and sunny, just ask Rob LOL Right?? But when it is nice our beaches rock!!!! Hey Rob should we do one??

Here is some links that gives you an idea what it would be to run on our beaches

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/ro ... ast001.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/ro ... ast015.jpg

Thanks!That is why I moved here, I am from Montana, which is wonderful country too, but I can't stand snow. LOL I need to head out to the coast when it is nice and get more pics. Our coast is very pretty and our Heceta Head lighthouse is the most photographed in the state. I know it's off topic, sorry about that, but here is a link should anyone want to know more.

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_124.php

Off Topic - Ever since my first visit to the coast of Oregon I have wanted to move there, I've visited almost every state (not Hawaii Guns... yet!!) And Oregon was IMO the most beautiful - I'd love to see more pics.

Back on topic - I apologise for stirring everybody up, our idea of a detachment was based purely on the fact that in the 501st a detachment is the smallest recognised group - needing only 5 members to start one. That is why we thought it would be alright to be a detachment, a very different detachment from the MEPD and to be honest - way, way smaller. I wouldn't expect most people would ever have seen us as an alternative just a little brother detachment or off spring detachment. My mistake. So we will drop the pursuit of a detachment in deference to the MEPD and we will be a Patrol, unofficial, not openly recruiting and hopefully everyone will be happy. I was really knocked off my feet by the reaction to our little group but I failed to see it from a big detachment point of view, live and learn.

As I said before - I will seek MEPD deployment once my pack is finished and this is THE place for info and great Sandtrooper talk, that won't change for me. PEACE!!!

Are we in agreement then that patrols are OK? I think the idea of allowing patrols w/in or alongside the MEPD is great.

-> Creates some esprit de corp, you can have a mini-group of TD's w/in your garrison and can create patches, contact lists, etc. and do some TD only events (if you so choose).

--> Helping: a small group of dedicated, recognizable individuals helps establish & maintain high TD standards around the legion and serves as a base of local knowledge to help others grow from TK-MEPD.

Is this something that teams can do on their own, or should there be something official in the MEPD charter?

Well you know the Omega wing has squadrons. They are still part of the Omega wing, but they are little sub groups. Maybe that kind of idea would work for us? I think it woud be cool to have an Oregon patrol. We have a good number of Sandies in the state.

Katt

Here! Here! But there are also some great Sandies in Washington up near Seattle.

Oh! On a side note GO SEAHAWKS!