Moisture Farm Patrol

TD1009

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...

I am renewing this thread to see how "patrols" can help the goals of the MEPD to expand the Sandtroopers abroad and how we can use them for that purpose.

It has been discussed about localization of Sandtroopers for certain areas and the formation of patrols. We know that there were several spaceports on Tatooine, so other patrols could be nice as well.

To be clear, this is not a proposal for "splintering" or seperating, but a way to enhance the effectiveness of Sandtroopers "in the field." What is the probablity of all the MEPD getting together? But how about Sandtrooper concentration and smaller areas, thereby showing a larger representation at events and such. Then maybe, at CIV or something, all the MEPD and patrols getting together for one big Sandtrooper event. With patrols, maybe two or three patrols could plan to get together to support other patrols, thereby increasing Sandtrooper presence at many events, even locally. Maybe for the desert areas in the southwest, the Sandtroopers could get together for one big event with mainly sandtroopers.

Anyway, just some thoughts. I think the 69th Cavalry has shown a really good example of how this could work as they are sticking together in the south. Here in the mountain Garrison, we have several Sandtroopers as well and sometime get together in desert environments for photoshoots. I think we all, MEPD, MFP, etc., have the same vision to show how we are different than the average stormtrooper and we want the world to know that.

I think a serious organization of these patrols should take place to enhance the goals of the Sandtroopers in the 501st. Since the MEPD, is the "mother" of the Sandtrooper movement, I think they/we should assist these patrols to make sure they stay true not only to the costuming standards, but the overall vision to have Sandtrooper representation throughout the Legion. The MEPD could certainly help with references, tutorials, etc. and allow new ones to learn and grow with the eventuality of becoming deployed in the MEPD. With small patrols, these ones could get hands-on assistance and support wioth their costumes instead of just depending on forums. At the local level, new ones, and verterans, can be encouraged seeing other sandtroopers at events, almost making sure a Sandtrooper is present at all times. As these patrols hopefull grow bigger with participation, that only enhances the strength of the Sandtroopers as a force within the Legion....

This had been addressed back when the idea first occurred; "patrols" would be fine but they wouldn't be an official part of the 501st, nor would they be organized within any 501st sub-group.

Personally I encourage the "for-fun" groups such as the 69th cav, but they have no practical purpose within the Legion. Do get out and help local members though. If your Garrison doesn't have an "academy" where perspective members can register on your board and get advice from Garrison members and participate in Garrison armor assembly parties now would be a great time to start one! My Garrison, Carida, has had one for about three years now and it has been a great success in helping new members with any costume they choose to do, and often get them above 501st standards right from the start.

OK I just read every post in this thead man does my head hurt . Here in the OLG we have 7 sandies that would make up for a great patrol, squad,unit. whatever ...but the idea would be cool. What do you say XO ? How does the ..... 7th Patrol of The Chesapeake or 7th Patrol of The B&O. The only reason I put the 7th is that was the order that Maryland ratify the Constitution

We're in the process of doing this in the Pacific Northwest, but it seems using the word "patrol" was discouraged as it seemed a rip-off of the MFP. Is this still correct?

I was under the impression that they don't want anyone using the Moisture Farm part but the "Patrol" is ok.

I think these quotes from previous posts address this issue, and speak to the basis for naming that the MFP retains the name "104th, Moisture Farm Patrol". From what I have seen in them, the "Moisture Farm" part was deemed taken, but the "Patrol" part was absolutely transferrable to any forming local unit.

Thanks Dean, all great info, clears up a lot of questions. We discussed last night making our group an unofficial group like the Kilted Brigade for all the reasons you stated, being very careful to keep the 501st name off the site and any t-shirts/patches. Maybe in the future the 501st will add a new level that we would qualify for but for now we will remain unofficial.

I'm not sure how much I like some in the MEPD laying claim to the MFP name, I mean it's flattering that you want to have a Moisture Farm Patrol too but I think there are many other cool names to be had and potential Patrols should strive to be creative not all cookie cutter with the name. The Moisture Farm Patrol is what we call our unofficial group so that name is taken. Fair?

Dune Sea Patrol - Pit of Carkoon Patrol - Anchorhead Patrol - Tosche Station Patrol - Jawa Patrol - Jungland Waste Patrol - Dewback Squad (jk) and then there is probably a ton of EU references to be had...

Sorry if it looked like I was suggesting we infringe on your trademark - if it seemed that's what I was proposing it was only under the auspice of trying to clarify what the boundries of the whole concept of a patrol was, as I believe most people would rather coin their own moniker (at least that was what us in Seattle were thinking). My apologies if it came off as overstepping my bounds or common courtesy.

No worries! I was feeling protective but there is no trademark! Just thought it'd be more fun to have loads of cool names for the patrols

Yeah, no offense for using the name as a base for my area. Just ideas. Didn't mean to step on any toes. Thanks for the inspiration. Feels better to come up with out own anyway. Fair.