Weathering Inspiration

Art Andrews

Don't know how many of you saw it, but Official Pix recently made this photo available and it really helps me see all the more that my past attempts at weathering were just completely off. While I think the weathering I achieved LOOKED fairly good, the accuracy was WAY off. I think many of us are really missing the boat, adding dark splotches but missing out on the overall completely dirty/smeared weathering. Here is a scan of the pic. Hope it helps. I know when I start my next helmet I am going to be really taking a very different approach.

Davin Helmet Detail

It is difficult to do the weathering

If you go the accurate route, it looks wrong in person (especially if you actually troop with other Sandies)

I weathered every square inch of mine to begin with, but had to scale it back to look decent around others.

It olooks "good" now, but still not even close to "accurate"

It is difficult to do the weathering

If you go the accurate route, it looks wrong in person (especially if you actually troop with other Sandies)

I weathered every square inch of mine to begin with, but had to scale it back to look decent around others.

It olooks "good" now, but still not even close to "accurate"

Nathan, that is definitely an issue for those who troop, especially in a group. For me, it is all about accuracy and if I ever do troop again mine will be weathered as close as I can get it to what I see in photos like the one above. I might stick out like a sore thumb but for me, accuracy is everything. For those who troop on a more regular basis, that might not be as reasonable but whenever I do get another suit together... it will be sitting on a manny 99.9% of the time and if I weathered it to look good in person, I know I would be annoyed with it 99.9% of the time.

You're right about that Art.

it does come down to the reason you are doing it.

I've made some concessions regarding accuracy for the sake of trooping myself.

I think we all do.

but for a display, why not go all out?

After all, you are trying to replicate something from a film, not just playing dress-up.

Interesting, like a lot of the stuff done on this film, it is not done that well. As mentioned above, some of the modern weathering looks so much better, I agree this would probably not look that good in person.

But for us accuracy nuts it is a great resource.

JoeR

Wow - a great illustration of reproducing a prop vs. trying to capture what we saw on screen. It reminds me of when my sister did runway work - she said how she looked on stage under bright lights was totally different than in a chair in the mirror under normal light. Or how in Star Trek they said they had to make the badges extra bright/reflective in real life to look normal on screen.

Official pix has some really fantastic photos available. I was sent this TANTIVE RAID in 16x20 as a Christmas gift from one of my friends in the US and it really is excellent.

Check out their WEBSITE, you won't be disappointed!

Wow, thanks for the link bro.

I´m sure i will grab a few :)

Thanks for the pics Art.

I like the Look sir droid trooper look too, and try to make my last armor like that too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

My new armor will be a over all Mos Eisley a like suit.

Whit not so heavy weathering on helmet, back pack, pauldron, but a bit more dirty on the body armor.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers :)

I'm sure most troopers here have found out that there is a big difference between how weathering looks in person and how it looks in a photo. Back when they shot the original movie they would be coping with harsh Tunis sun, infill lighting, filters, limitations on the film etc. There are many photos showing props guys touching up armour to be more dark on set presumably after test shots had been taken.

• 5 months later...

I've worked on movie sets as a cop and as an advisor dating back to 1979. They over do alot of things to make them show up on screen to the point that in-person it looks extremely exaggerated. Makeup is a prime example, the women look like Bratz doll harlots with extra long eyelashes, makeup, eye shadow, contour enhancing blush, etc. The men look like G.I. Joe or Ken dolls with pancake face makeup, dyed hair or wigs and, yes, eye makeup.

Same goes for props and set decorations. To make something look worn out on screen, you REALLY have to weather it whereas that same item would look too fake when seen in person. Take prop gun replicas. Some builders finish their guns off with a total coat of the same rattle can flat black and consider it done. Others weather the gun so much it looks as if it were turned in a cement mixer filled with rocks and scrap iron. In person, subtle weathering makes an enormous difference but sometimes screen accurate weathering looks like it was way overdone. Some of the weathering I've seen on guns reflect exaggerated damage, in real life damage that would cause some of the big scratches and paint loss would disable the real weapon.

Compare that closeup of the helmet to what the same helmet looks like on screen.

Love threads like this one. Tons of great info and pics. Thanks.

My 2 cents.

My take on weathering? Less is More.

It depends on how you want your TD to look. Do you want to look good in photos or in person?

For my TD, I considered myself moderately dirty, it looks decent when seen in person but looks clean on photos. >.<

Like the others mentioned, if one wanna look good in pictures, one have to really overdo the weathering.

i think weathering is a personal thing gordon,i intended to weather mine and dave marsdens armour lightly,but i got a bit carried away!! lol ;).... individualism.... no two troopers look the same!,thats why i prefer td's over tk's any day!!!! B) B) B) B) how ever td armour is weathered,it looks cool!! :) i have said,that soon i will be upgrading my armour and will try to back off on the weathering!! ;)

a very informative thread though guys!!! :)