straps

TD2802

What would be the idea strap material? I've seen some use nylon strapping with quick release fasteners like those used for camp gear. There's also the kind used in tool belts which are a little wider and of thicker material so seem a bit sturdier than the other.

I actually went with the 1 inch strapping with the quick release like you said. I used a large Alice frame for my backpack and the straps that come with it were way too wide and visible. The 1 inch straps are allot easier to conceal and fit nicely between my shoulder bells and chestplate.

Thanks TD 3150. Yeah, I know about the 1 inch strap thing. Picked up a used backpack frame the other day with original straps intact with metal fasteners. Replacing those with plastic and maybe attaching the ammo pouch to one of its padded shoulder straps.

I used some old seat belt material, the straps are wide and comfortable. I stiched on some other 1" nylon to the ends to add quick connects. I've trooped for four hours at an event and it was like it wasn't even there I have also edged my pack with foam, I used the plumbing pipe wraps from the hardware store, they have a split in them so you can just cut to the length you need and slip them on wherever you need. Hot glue or tiestraps hold it in place.

• 8 months later...

I have to bring this thread back to life as I've been having some problems with the straps staying on my shoulders. I have about one inch black nylon straps that are comfortable to wear, but the **** things just want to try sliding off my shoulders. I have them resting on top of the strap that's holding my shoulder bells to the plastic shoulder strap (that is attached between the chest plate and back plate).

Any ideas? Are there some straps that cross my chest to help keep them on my shoulders? I need to get this resolved pretty quick (by July 16th if possible).

Thanks!

I have to bring this thread back to life as I've been having some problems with the straps staying on my shoulders. I have about one inch black nylon straps that are comfortable to wear, but the **** things just want to try sliding off my shoulders. I have them resting on top of the strap that's holding my shoulder bells to the plastic shoulder strap (that is attached between the chest plate and back plate).

Any ideas? Are there some straps that cross my chest to help keep them on my shoulders? I need to get this resolved pretty quick (by July 16th if possible).

Thanks!

I put on my back pack before the shoulder bells.

Also, I suggest using a heavy gauge, 2in. elastic material instead of the 1in. nylon. It will be more comfortable and distripute the weight more evenly, so it shouldn't slide off.

Mike, do you have a strap that goes across your chest to prevent the straps from moving, or do they stay put with the elastic straps you're talking about?

I suppose you could do that, but I have no idea how you would put it on. For the most part, they stay put. Very rarely do I have adjust them.

I was using 1" straps but they started cutting into my shoulders after a few hours. I replaced the upper parts with 2" and it seems to work better.

I'm also going to try adding a cross strap, as I think that will help spread the load.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually went with the 1 inch strapping with the quick release like you said. I used a large Alice frame for my backpack and the straps that come with it were way too wide and visible. The 1 inch straps are allot easier to conceal and fit nicely between my shoulder bells and chestplate.

I used a alice frame as well. I utilized the straps but took off the padded parts and just used the nylon parts (top and bottom part that connects to the frame) You can connect them together with the buckle

The one inch nylon was cutting me and limited the amout of time i could wear it. Both of Mike's packs with 2 inch elastic have been the most comfortable I have felt.