Original TD belt material.

Well,

Last week I got this from Wyatt at the FISD:

(this is mine)

Posted Image

(this is from Wyatt)

Posted Image

This is a vintage cotton cargo strap from sometime around the 70s. I think he found this in some warehouse and got it to use as TK/TD belts.

As long as I know, it looks very similar material to the one used in ANH. But as I am not a belt or fabric or prop expert, I was wondering if this looks alright for you. I kind of rushed into buying this as everyone was very excited about the found. And although it looks amazing and you can tell it is vintage and 70s and all, I want to be sure if this is the right way to go for a screen accurate armor.

Here is a comparison of the belt Wyatt built and the one used in a publicity shot of Luke Skywalker. :blink::unsure: I know I know... its not a TD and would never bring these picture here unless I was really interested in the topic. hehe... :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

I like it a lot and I think it would be a shame if it was a no go for a TD...

(My option then would be a firebladejedi belt if that would be possible)

So, what do you think?

Saludos.

I've got a couple of these belts from Wyatt and I am really happy with the way they look. I have bleached one of them and it looks super cool on my ANH stormtrooper armour. One thing is for sure though, they are not what they used back in the day. There's no doubt in my mind that the original belts were simply made by sewing two layers of denim canvas together and adding a bit of velcro at the back. These straps are a very good alternative though and I highly recommend them to everyone. I know I want a few more :)

sewing two layers of denim canvas together and adding a bit of velcro at the back.

Denim canvas? its that came from Luke's pants on that photo? :lol: :lol: but its identical,hehe. I wonder what pants he's wearing,im curious on which denim pattern acquired.

I got mine from GZ B)

Thx for your comments.

I am in the process of building a new TE2 armor and would like to make it as screen accurate as materials, money and habilities allow me to.

I do like a lot the cargo strap, I guess when I get to that part I will find out if I will use it or not.

For now, Im happy to know that this is not an accurate material to replicate a screen used belt. Knowing this, I can now make an informed decision and thats enough for me at the moment.

Thanks for all your opinions and info.

Saludos...

PS. I will still think about getting a fbj belt anyway...:)

If your're going to bleach it i would suggest you use thin bleah and dilute it in plenty of water or you will most likely ruin the cargo strap.

Fill your bath with about 6 inches of water and add a litre of thin bleach to the water and make sure that the whole of the strap is under the water. Leave for a couple of hours and it should be good to go, just needing a rinse in fresh water.

It might sound dumb but I just need to ask, how did you do that. Do I just throw the strap in some bleach???

Thx a lot Bro...

Saludos.

Not dumb mate. I had to do a google search to be sure how to do it :D

I filled up the sink bowl with cold water and added about a cup full of bleach, then dumped the belt into it. Left it four about an hour then rinsed it with cold water and hung it out to dry. It's still not white, but lighter that it was and looks much better IMO.

THX for your help. :)

I will try and bleach my belt and see how it goes in a couple of weeks. Probably coming back with pictures at that moment.

Anyway... so, I guess most ppl answering liked this belt, but still... Since it is not canvas, and it is not accurate, would it be acceptable for deployment standards?

It is still itching the back of my head (is that a correct expression in English aswell? HEHE).

THX a lot.

Saludos

since we actually don´t know what was used originally and the belt looks accurate as far as we can judge by the very limited pictures especially on the TD´s...

there will be no problem with acceptance for deployment status! don´t worry, bro!