Trooper Shoulder Straps

DirtyBoy

Does anyone have a good picture for sandtrooper shoulder straps? I was originally going to use cnvas to match the belt but learned that it was actually elastic. If anyone has a pic either original or what you have done to accomodate this upgrade i would appreciate it.

mine is under, which im pretty sure is the way to do it. and yes, its acceptable.

be sure to double check the "Requirements" section at the very top of this site. any questions, dont hesitate to ask!

:D

Does anyone have a good picture for sandtrooper shoulder straps? I was originally going to use cnvas to match the belt but learned that it was actually elastic.

I used the same canvas material as my belt for mine. But like Mike said you could use some strapping underneath to join the front & back pieces of your chest armor.

Here is a reference pic from www.looksirdroids.com :

Posted Image

that indicated "Vaccuformed ribbed straps were added over the shoulder of the stormtrooper armor to help hide the connection of the chest and back plate. The sandtrooper lacks these ribbed straps.***."

I used the same canvas material as my belt for mine. But like Mike said you could use some strapping underneath to join the front & back pieces of your chest armor.

Here is a reference pic from www.looksirdroids.com :

Posted Image

that indicated "Vaccuformed ribbed straps were added over the shoulder of the stormtrooper armor to help hide the connection of the chest and back plate. The sandtrooper lacks these ribbed straps.***."

Thank you....I checked out that link and it does help.

Here you see a TK, but you can see see the canvas under the ABS shoulder straps:

Posted Image

Here a few more, but its hard to see the canvas.

The chest goes in as a right V, before the back plate comes:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 1 month later...

Can somebody post some pics of how they did there connection? Could you buy a white leather belt, cut to fit and pop rivet it under the front and back sections? Is there a way not to use rivets that will really hold together?

Can somebody post some pics of how they did there connection? Could you buy a white leather belt, cut to fit and pop rivet it under the front and back sections? Is there a way not to use rivets that will really hold together?

Some people use velcro or an adhesive (ie E6000) to attach them...

Gluing the elastic, is it ABS cement or hot glue gun? I like the snaps idea. What do you guys think of using snaps and white leather? Another question, do you mount a snap to a piece of plastic then glue it under the chest and back pieces to mount it? sorry for some of the dumb questions here but I want to do this in a reliable clean conversion from TK. Currently have the velcro ribbed straps.

Use E6000 for everything.

For the snaps, attach them to a small strip or square of ABS first then glue it inside your armour. Make sure the glue doesn't touch the snap or it could melt through your armour. Don't ask me why it does that, it just does (I found out the hard way).

I would personally use elastic since not only is it screen accurate, it gives you more flexibility. By using elastic for all your strapping, you are not as limited in your movements in armour. Canvas, leather or webbing have no give and can pop the snaps off your straps.

agree.

however leather (which is what i use) has never given me issues. Snaps have always failed me, so i stay away

Leather with rivets? Im considering leather with velcro under the chest and back connections. I might add button snaps also. I also had problems with button snaps in high stress areas. Always the same ones pop apart. I hot glued the button snaps that I didnt need to come apart and had good results with that...

agree.

however leather (which is what i use) has never given me issues. Snaps have always failed me, so i stay away

Maybe they fail because the straps don't have any give?

Like I said, non elastic straps will make the snaps pop off because you need the armour parts to be able to move independantly. Using non elastic straps make the armour 'rigid' and when the straps are stressed, they cannot move so the snaps pop off. If you prefer, you could make a plastic tab with more than one snap for extra grip.

I would strongly recommend staying away from hot glue, especially for connections that will bear a load. You'll want to use clamps and some kind of this sticky glue like E6000, Shoo-Goo, Zap-A-Dap-A-Goo, etc...

Here's an example from Scootch's backpack buildup. This is just nylon to nylon, but the same technique applies for nylon to ABS

Posted Image

ABS cement is for ABS to ABS bonding. Anything else you put it on will just turn into a slimy mess!

Charlie