What holds us down.

Art Andrews

I don't usually share my frustrations, but something came up this morning that is so laughable, yet so pathetic that I couldn't help but share.

As many of you know, I am working on building up a test set of armor... mostly to see if I can do it and make it look passable. I am trying to look at it from the ground up and not make assumptions. I am also trying, when possible, not to mix and match my reference and use primarily ANH even more specifically ANH sandtrooper reference as exclusively as possible.

I have been blessed with a great deal of reference/info that is not widely available and it is greatly upsetting the "Montagues" that I might share some of this info with you, the members of this board. While I do not agree with the idea of hording, I respect the wishes of those who entrust me with info. But what is really interesting is that I wake up this morning and have a PM from the king of the "Capulets" telling me about the proprietary info he has that he won't be sharing with me.... as well as an email from the "Montagues" dictating specifically what info of theirs I can't share... and all I can think is, here are both sides with info that could help this board and the members of it, and yet they both are so unwilling to share... It is these types of mind sets that keep us from going further in this hobby and excelling.

I guess, for many, this is a contest and it is important that their prop or costume be better than someone else's. For me, my measuring stick is the original costume, not any other costumer. I WANT to see EVERY costume replica be more accurate, and if it means some are more accurate than mine, well, kudos to that person! I hope they share how they got there!

I won't apologize for this rant, but I am sorry to see that the polarizations within the stormtrooper community have brought about these types of attitudes. While people seem to think it benefits them to withhold things, I think the truth is, it hurts us all.

I must admit that I have not a real idea of who you are talking about, but can only imagine for a few threads I have read in this and some other forums...

Anyway, as many other things I enjoy in life, I started prop building and impersonating a sandtrooper for a few reasons, being the most important of them all: to have fun.

Im just starting to realize that there is whole new level (and world) in creating prop replicas that I didn't know existed. With all the super screen accurate armor makers and builders, and the business and money behind it. I guess everyone has a different reason to be in the hobby, too bad it is not always to enjoy it sharing with fellow fans and have fun.

But I guess people is just people.

For me, I really appreciate ppl like yourself and many others sharing all your top sites, valuable info, references and experiences with your own replicas and armors, as much as I appreciate ppl just starting in the hobby sharing their own experiences and work. It both makes me happy to be here and share.

Anyway, thats me.

Saludos...

I must admit that I have not a real idea of who you are talking about, but can only imagine for a few threads I have read in this and some other forums...

While some people will know who I am specifically talking about and some will not, the names are not as important as the actions and the mentality of purposefully withholding information for the specific purpose of trying to keep others from having accurate costumes.

As DL, it also puts me in a very uncomfortable place... having to resolve these kind of disputes. :(

I can certainly empathize with your frustration!

I can't help but think of all of those who came before us and all the self-proclaimed "experts" out there who owe (but probably wouldn't admit) a vast amount of their knowledge to others who came before them... I wonder what this hobby would be like if our prop replica forefathers took the same attitudes some of these individuals take, where we would be... We would have very little. It is mainly only through sharing and the synergistic efforts of everyone that has gotten us this far. Well, what can you do? Horders will horde, and in time, they will be forgotten because they never gave anything. Those who share will be the ones who are remembered.

...It is mainly only through sharing and the synergistic efforts of everyone that has gotten us this far. Well, what can you do? Horders will horde, and in time, they will be forgotten because they never gave anything. Those who share will be the ones who are remembered.

I think people with that mentality have an elitist frame of mind, one where replica movie props should be coveted, and only the most accurate be available to those with huge bank accounts. Their argument is one based around greed and sustaining an items investment value.

But people like that have no place in this community or this forum. We are costumers and garage prop makers, here to share information and have fun.

I agree Mike, Juan and Art

Listen anyone who has spent more then a day here at MEPD knows that most of us have a passion for Sandtroopers, love to have fun and have each others backs.

If someone wants to 'hord' there ideas/armor/whatever all I have to say is

GOOD FOR YOU!! enjoy what ever you do hope it makes you happy for years to come and don't mind us having fun idea sharing grunts.

And if you ever want to share your ideas then we won't hold your selfish past against you.

BUT until then you are irrelevant to most of us.

In many ways pretend this is the Cheers bar. MOST of us are Norms, Sams, Woodies, Coachs, Fraisures, Etc. and then there is Cliff Claven

the know it all always trying to compensate for what life has dealt them.

Posted Image

Art I am glad you vented and wouldn't let people like that ruin your day.

Cheers

Hmmm,

"Capulets" and "Montagues"... :rolleyes:

T :salute:

WWwwhhaattt :huh: .

Strange PM you got there, i must say.

I don´t know, who that can be :unsure: .

You have all ways been a nice and cool person to me in here, and so are the MEPD members.

So i´m sorry to hear, if someone have contact you whit a negative PM buddy.

Have a nice weekend :)

Personally I find those kinds of people absolutely laughable. Have they done nothing else with their lives of value that that they wont let go of something as silly as knowledge of building a costume? On a much larger scale-this is why we will never have cars that run on renewable energy (on a large scale basis), cancer, AIDS, and multiple other deadly diseases will never be cured, wars will always be waged, and humanity will in the end destroy itself. Selfishness. Im not good a prop making.....I suck at it. My armor could be better in many ways.....my backback looks kinda accurate....from far away......with bad vision, and I carry a modded Kenner E-11. But at the end of the day-its about my love of Star Wars. The joy it has brought to me in the past 28 years of my life and me doing just a little something to maybe bring just a few seconds of that joy into someone else. I'd wear a white paper sack over my head with a frown painted on it if it would make a kid smile. I just dont understand why many people are so tied up in what other people think. Why even continue to converse with these people who have outcast themselves anyway? These people are so concerned with their "legacy" it has ruined it for themselves as Mike stated. We, as a club should be more concerned with our "legacy" and insure that it is a pleasant one and not even concern ourselves with the Romeo's and Juliets on the hobby. Remember how that story ends? They poisoned themselves and metaphoricly they are poisoning the hobby. To quote Vader in Robot Chicken....they need to, "Priiiiincess.....let it go......you may fire when ready......fjdlakfjdlkaf oh look its millions of pieces of Alderan"

Im not good a prop making.....I suck at it. My armor could be better in many ways.....my backback looks kinda accurate....from far away......with bad vision, and I carry a modded Kenner E-11. But at the end of the day-its about my love of Star Wars...

...I'd wear a white paper sack over my head with a frown painted on it if it would make a kid smile. I just dont understand why many people are so tied up in what other people think...

I think you've got it Chaz! Agree 100%!

These is what holds us together... compared to what holds them apart (and as stated by Art, holds the whole hobby down).

Saludos...

As for me, I choose to share whatever I have, including my botched projects so people can see and learn what NOT to do as well as some of my hillbilly garage antics that may give someone a better idea than what I intended. This is about good times and the quest for ultimate accuracy is more fun when we fumble through it together as a team anyway. Sorry you had to be razzed buddy. At the end of the day, we're still going to figure it out anyway! :P

As for me, I choose to share whatever I have, including my botched projects so people can see and learn what NOT to do as well as some of my hillbilly garage antics that may give someone a better idea than what I intended. This is about good times and the quest for ultimate accuracy is more fun when we fumble through it together as a team anyway. Sorry you had to be razzed buddy. At the end of the day, we're still going to figure it out anyway! :P

I, for one, appreciate it too Scootch. I've learned TONS from you here and other forums and am taking a break as we speak from assembling my pack using your tutorial found elsewhere. That's what it's about. Sharing.

I'm not sure who you are talking about, nor do i really care WHO it/they are. I've gotten enough flack from CT.net abtou various things to drive sane people into confusion.

however, art, Don't forget, you have some of the best Sandies right here in AZ. come on down from lofty Kingman and pay us a visit. Tristan or Kevin or Steve might have the parts you are looking for.

we've recently helped a few people finish their costumes in an afternoon.

PM me if you're interested.

Again, thanks for the pics at Yuma last year!

come on down from lofty Kingman and pay us a visit.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am sure, in all of history, that is the first time the words "lofty" and "Kingman" have ever been put together! For anyone who doesn't know... I live in the absolute middle of NOWHERE!!! I thought I grew up in the middle of nowhere, but I didn't know what nowhere was until I moved here!!!

Gee. I wonder whose Name could possibly be in On this? At least I know who it sounds like.

:glare: :0Lighten:

While I am sure a lot of people think it was Gino I am talking about, for once, it isn't! Again, it isn't really the "who" that is the issue as much as it is the attitudes...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am sure, in all of history, that is the first time the words "lofty" and "Kingman" have ever been put together! For anyone who doesn't know... I live in the absolute middle of NOWHERE!!! I thought I grew up in the middle of nowhere, but I didn't know what nowhere was until I moved here!!!

We spent the night in Kingman on the drive out here from Arkansas as I recall. Isn't it about an hour or so from the Hoover Dam? We stayed at a dive Travel Lodge but I didn't care. I just wanted a bed! LOL

While I am sure a lot of people think it was Gino I am talking about, for once, it isn't! Again, it isn't really the "who" that is the issue as much as it is the attitudes...

And while I may have been wrong about it being him this time, it still doesn't change my low opinion of him (which he happily reciprocates so it's all good! LOL).

Well, at least you have us to vent to. I agree with you 100%. Shouldn't a parent want a child to exceed them? Shouldn't a teacher want a pupil to do the same? People who think otherwise are selfish and to be pitied.

What good is knowledge if not shared? It's like a book that is never read - why bother?

Life is about change, like it or not. It's to be enjoyed. People (at least 90%) actually do derive more self-worth from what they give then what they get.

I feel sad for these people, sadder to to be in your position. I don't think I can keep those kinds of secrets - personal ones yes but not something like that.

Shortsighted people all.

I am one of the owners of the cd sets which TE took in the archives that Braks Buddy mentioned in his other thread. All the owners paid a considerable amount for them and the info gained by access to them.

Myself and several other know exactly how the ANH suits were strapped. Apparently somehow Braks might too judging by his posts on the other thread.

If TE had originally just given these pics out publically to everyone including me, I would be overjoyed! I had put a huge amount of effort into researching the strapping and to have something given to everyone would have been awesome!

But now that I have bought something and protected the interest of its owner by not sharing it with all of you, I would be furious if somebody did give the information out publically That would be a breach in the non disclosure arrangements we all had agreed to, and would mean that I had just thrown a lot of money down the toilet.

Can everyone respect that position here? Or are you sad for me because I am hoarding info and not giving it freely to the public world of prop collectors who **** and moan every time they hear about something that cannot or will not be shared?

If you want it badly enough then make it happen. But if you are just waiting for the info whatever it happens to be, to fall into your lap meanwhile complaining that the people who have the info are pitiful, sad people for thinking or acting differently than you, then I say it should be obvious to you why some people are reluctant to share publically.

Sometimes I feel like people online act like a room full of 1st graders who want ice cream. I have one cone which I bought for myself and I’m eating it out in the hallway. Why would I come into their room and offer to them when I know they would only stampede each other in their eagerness to get it and probably destroy my ice cream cone in the process?

Again with the school metaphors, we all remember "It only takes one person to ruin it for everyone."

If I don’t like or trust one person in an online community, then I no longer want to share things within that community.

Right now I don’t like what the recasters over at “Do it yourself props” are doing. And that is undermining the trust and thus the progress of the community through sharing. Even if I was allowed to share the pics I wouldn’t because I don’t want them to benefit from my purchase. But if I could be assured my posts would only be seen by someone I liked like Rolf, I might feel differently and might be nice enough to share right here on the forums (again pretending I actually could)

But online you cant have one without the other. Sorry guys.

I hope that makes some sense and gives people an idea of how it is possible for someone to not be able to share, and not want to share.

Shortsighted people all.

I am one of the owners of the cd sets which TE took in the archives that Braks Buddy mentioned in his other thread. All the owners paid a considerable amount for them and the info gained by access to them.

So only the people with big wallets and huge accounts could lay their hands on that info and weren't willing to share out of fear and greed.

Myself and several other know exactly how the ANH suits were strapped. Apparently somehow Braks might too judging by his posts on the other thread.

If TE had originally just given these pics out publically to everyone including me, I would be overjoyed! I had put a huge amount of effort into researching the strapping and to have something given to everyone would have been awesome!

Then why don't just share, we are all here for the same reason...and not for making huge interests over peoples backs.

But now that I have bought something and protected the interest of its owner by not sharing it with all of you, I would be furious if somebody did give the information out publically That would be a breach in the non disclosure arrangements we all had agreed to, and would mean that I had just thrown a lot of money down the toilet.

Can everyone respect that position here? Or are you sad for me because I am hoarding info and not giving it freely to the public world of prop collectors who **** and moan every time they hear about something that cannot or will not be shared?

I can understand this, you want to covet it due to the high costs. But why not act like a regular Robin Hood and give to the poor what the rich have a plenty of..

If you want it badly enough then make it happen. But if you are just waiting for the info whatever it happens to be, to fall into your lap meanwhile complaining that the people who have the info are pitiful, sad people for thinking or acting differently than you, then I say it should be obvious to you why some people are reluctant to share publically.

Sometimes I feel like people online act like a room full of 1st graders who want ice cream. I have one cone which I bought for myself and I’m eating it out in the hallway. Why would I come into their room and offer to them when I know they would only stampede each other in their eagerness to get it and probably destroy my ice cream cone in the process?

Again with the school metaphors, we all remember "It only takes one person to ruin it for everyone."

If I don’t like or trust one person in an online community, then I no longer want to share things within that community.

Right now I don’t like what the recasters over at “Do it yourself props” are doing. And that is undermining the trust and thus the progress of the community through sharing. Even if I was allowed to share the pics I wouldn’t because I don’t want them to benefit from my purchase. But if I could be assured my posts would only be seen by someone I liked like Rolf, I might feel differently and might be nice enough to share right here on the forums (again pretending I actually could)

But online you cant have one without the other. Sorry guys.

So were back to the beginning then..didn't someone else already rant about the DIY forum..

The other thing I just can't get a grip on is then fact that sharing is a strange word or doesn't even appear in a lot of peoples vocabulary..

Didn't we all get this far by sharing info and helping eachother out.

I hope that makes some sense and gives people an idea of how it is possible for someone to not be able to share, and not want to share.

..Crystal clear.. Oh, and I don't mean to offend anyone, just make that clear too.

Thanks for your kind words, MidnightTrooper/old buddy.

Sadly there are all ways some wars, here and there in the prop world.

I know about wars, in another way.

I have been painting graffiti, since the mid 80´.

And i have all ways been thinking, why all the hate and beef between griffiti writers.

There are so many, there don´t like what we do.

So why not work together, and have fun.

Same thing whit this costume hobby, of ours here...

Peaced out, have a nice weekend :) .

Rolf.

If there's any whoever guys like that,why would they bother to join a community? That Intend to interact,and sharing? Only to showoffs without sharing what and how etc. Those guys don't had a role in a community if I may say so

Remember that...not everybody had experience or privileges. Not even had a clue where and how for example.

If those guys don't want to share everything that they had,fine! Just show us the 'skin' of it,and the community would figure out the rest.

At least TE made a cd bro,**** I adore TM for his role in tye community,maybe some people might wanna think of it,that they would live in the corner of the earth with all you precious infos,because no one would remember star wars even as a sci-fi movie anymore

They still think that they deserve in a community? Think again...

Sorry if my english is bad..