Banned Member Bulletin

TD-1536

It is with heavy heart that today I had to ban a member of the MEPD.

User name, WeiBes Trooper, real name Chris Peters has been banned for full admittance of recasting a TE Helmet and Armor.

He has been reselling recast items to other members here and on other boards as well as on ebay for an undetermined amount of time.

The leadership of the MEPD has a strong stance towards the recasting of others "work" - be it original or from screen-used items. This subject can often degrade into a moral and dividing argument, and as such, this thread will be locked and not be up for discussion.

If you wish to share your thoughts, please PM me. Seth Busino, your CO is on leave this week, so be aware that any PMs to him will be delayed in response.

Upon discussing this situation with Seth, and after some further deliberation on my part, we've decided to recant our original stance on this situation and reinstate Chris's MEPD account. However, moving forward, we will work on an official stance regarding recasting in general. For now, here is a loose synopsis of what we discussed...

1. It is absolutely against board policy to recast another members work. "Member" being someone within the community who created an item from scratch. Essentially, what we often refer to as a "Fan sculpt". Good examples are the back pack parts Seth and I created and the work of Troopermaster.

2. Considering items such as a TE or Gino Stormtrooper helmet (in example) that are essentially recast works off a screen used item, we will no longer take any stance towards people who make recasts of them. The argument, "I can recast a TE helmet, because Matt (or someone else) recast the original screen used helmet", is certainly a hard one to defend and brings up many moral and personal stances. I think morally, how can we shun a recaster, but not the original recaster? It is this argument we can no longer make executive decisions on. With that said, if you acquire a screen-used item and make copies (recasts) of it available to the public, we'll certainly appreciate your work (considering we all strive for screen accuracy), but it will fall on your particular set of values and morals if you decide to recast that item or purchase a recast. Really, if you look at it, you're either choosing to purchase a second or third generation recast. We will no longer get involved or make judgement.

It is my hope that people ultimately have respect for other people's work, regardless of origin. I've openly stated that I have respect for TE2, but I want there to be a clear understanding that there is no favoritism. If someone wishes to recast a TE2 helmet (in example) and make them available to others, morally and on principle, I don't believe the leadership of the MEPD has a platform to say who's perpetuating the greater offense... the person profiting from an illegal recast or someone who recasts that persons work.

I guess at the end of the day, it comes down to that old saying, "Honor among thieves." Rather than Seth or I having a personal agenda in this matter, we're making one based on a broader set of principles that people can clearly understand.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike

I admire your stance Mike.

We are all 'in the wrong' so to speak, there must be one rule for everyone. No-one but GL/LFL has the 'right' to go after recasters. Chris was also upfront with TE and didn't try to hide anything.

I agree with this refreshing decision.

Joe

Mike

I admire your stance Mike.

We are all 'in the wrong' so to speak, there must be one rule for everyone. No-one but GL/LFL has the 'right' to go after recasters. Chris was also upfront with TE and didn't try to hide anything.

I agree with this refreshing decision.

Joe

Awesome! So lets recast Mike's backpack parts and clone stuff too! No one but GL has the right to go after the recasters.

Just making a point.

Do what you have to do, i will not destroy something i spent so much money and time on. Gino, you can kiss my white you know what! it aint gonna happen! cry all you want, it wont change anything, looks who is going back on there word now? bye

I thank all who support artistic freedom..