History of armor via FISD

hpdblues

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My intent for starting this thread is both educational and to preserve the past in a clear fashion with all parties involved (especially the ahem vocal ones).

The goal is to create a armor bible with versus chapters that have the same basic story with slight differences (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John). However, I do want to verify each story before its considered "gospel."

The trick of course is to not turn this into a he said/he lied/he recasted discussion.

If I'm crazy, tell me via PM. I realize this subject has turned into a mess on prior boards (here included), but I really want to give an overall armor history a try. This is beyond TE versus TE2 versus Gino. Its about how, and when this white hobby started, and the progress to where we are today.

Comments and suggestions welcome. Thanks Dirty Brothers (and Sisters).

good luck on that one.

i'm trying to see it from both sides point of view but i'm afraid i cant get my head that far up my jacksy

seriously, i'd thought we'd have all learnt by now to just not open that can of worms.

i dont know who to believe and now frankly i just dont care. never did to start with if truth be told. As soon as you say 'armour history' the egos kick off and nobody gets any more information than they did last time and toys get thrown out of the pram and hey-presto another forum tainted. bloody shame if you ask me that newbies have to witness two grown men arguing online about it like a couple of teenage school girls.

If you ask me, who needs a history lesson when the teachers cant decide who's account is the real account.

still, waddyagonnado huh?

MMAAAN!!!!! Here too.......

Cant seem to hide from them, tired of there whining. But Guns is right on the historical part, looking at the past so that in the future we might not be boneheads

:y: good luck on that one.

i'm trying to see it from both sides point of view but i'm afraid i cant get my head that far up my jacksy

seriously, i'd thought we'd have all learnt by now to just not open that can of worms.

i dont know who to believe and now frankly i just dont care. never did to start with if truth be told. As soon as you say 'armour history' the egos kick off and nobody gets any more information than they did last time and toys get thrown out of the pram and hey-presto another forum tainted. bloody shame if you ask me that newbies have to witness two grown men arguing online about it like a couple of teenage school girls.

If you ask me, who needs a history lesson when the teachers cant decide who's account is the real account.

still, waddyagonnado huh?

For people just starting in the hobby it's new news, and probably best to hear these individual's stories first hand rather than via someone else's summary.

I feel I've learnt more about the debate seeing it played out first hand.

yeah, the one good thing about this is to have almost all the "big players" in the conversation at once. all we need is GF to get over there and we'll have everyone in one big virtual room.

personally, TE, GF, GINO, TM, AP... they are all great suits... i think the best one is the one you have access to / can afford. they all come in at different levels of price and availability, and they all look the part just fine (imo)

yeah, the one good thing about this is to have almost all the "big players" in the conversation at once. all we need is GF to get over there and we'll have everyone in one big virtual room.

personally, TE, GF, GINO, TM, AP... they are all great suits... i think the best one is the one you have access to / can afford. they all come in at different levels of price and availability, and they all look the part just fine (imo)

Copy that.

TE/TE2, GF, GINO, TM, AP are some of the best suits out there 100%.

In my time i have own GT/FX, GF, AP suits.

Now i only got two anh TM suits, and very happy whit them.

Thise suits are fan made,or recast modify from rotj suit to anh.

I too love to search the anh suit truth, but at the same time like Simon says.

I dont wanna spoil the fun.

Too much ego and beef here and there, will destroy the enjoyment.

For me its a childhood dream, to be a anh strom/sand trooper.

I thanks all the makers for there time, to help us all out to ower dreams.

Well bro´s, peace out and all the best from here

Bein new to trooping and armor in general I found that discussion to be sorta childish but none the less really informative. I have discussions/arguments like this all the time with guys over music and im sure ill have this one with someone eventually once ive been around long enuff. At the end of the day though as long as somebody or a group of people are making quality accurate armor im happy as a pig in crap. If it wasnt for these guys we all might be wearing cardboard boxes on our heads HAH.

good points well made. i guess i'll have to just try and ignore the one-up-manship mentality and get from it what i need.

i have no doubt that we all owe these guys a debt of thanks for the kits we own but c'mon, the secrets and lies that surround this subject are so complex i'm beginning to feel i cant trust what any of them say (Guns and TM NOT included. top boys both)

i'm beginning to think that some people are only interested in the Kudos and will try to ****** it at any cost, the sale of armour is secondary to them. to be the first to discover something and in some cases NOT tell us, just hint at it is BS.

i even had a particular armour maker from a european country recently tell me that HIS armour had been recast by just about everyone while standing there picking holes in my AP kit i felt the need to tell him go away. there are only a handfull of people in this community that i have great respect for and could hold a conversation with without getting annoyed and a lot of them are here

but hey, MEPD ROCKS

Can i get a hallelujah?

Mike, you're totally right and i know this has also come up before but artistry plays a bigger part in my mind. to me it's less about where the armour came from and more about what the individual does with it in a creative manner. I'm sure you'll agree that we've seen awesome costumes here for example and the work thats gone into them is immense and i for one dont care if it's TE, FX, AP or whatever else as a base kit, it's been made to look outstanding. Take also your recent foray into clone sculpting. fantastic artistry, by your own hand using your own attention to detail. THATS worth shouting about.

Top marks also to you for speaking out about TM's faceplate. These guys cant stand the fact that someone has pulled off something they can only dream about and all they can do to draw the attention back to them is question its authenticity. MonCal has also been a victim of this and it makes me really angry. it really is time the prop community just simply ignore them and let them fight it out amongst themselves so we can all continue to help each other in a positive light.

can i get an Amen?

Mike, you're totally right and i know this has also come up before but artistry plays a bigger part in my mind. to me it's less about where the armour came from and more about what the individual does with it in a creative manner. I'm sure you'll agree that we've seen awesome costumes here for example and the work thats gone into them is immense and i for one dont care if it's TE, FX, AP or whatever else as a base kit, it's been made to look outstanding. Take also your recent foray into clone sculpting. fantastic artistry, by your own hand using your own attention to detail. THATS worth shouting about.

Top marks also to you for speaking out about TM's faceplate. These guys cant stand the fact that someone has pulled off something they can only dream about and all they can do to draw the attention back to them is question its authenticity. MonCal has also been a victim of this and it makes me really angry. it really is time the prop community just simply ignore them and let them fight it out amongst themselves so we can all continue to help each other in a positive light.

can i get an Amen?

But, both Matt and Gino are lying! I'M the ONLY ONE who owns the ORIGINAL moulds that touched the inside of the ROTJ suit! They just have COPIES of MY moulds!

er... I mean.... AMEN Simon!

Can I change your minds by saying I am not a "groupie" of Gino or Matt and I have spent a long time going over both "stories".

Gino may come across as bigheaded somewhat, but you would to if people always called you names and called you out as a liar for simply being the only person who publically punctures the myth surrounding Matt. By simply trying to tell people the real story and having people not believe you. Gets pretty frustrating after what, 8 years or so?

Matt is the father of all things trooper. He bought the ANH helmet and had it moulded. He also had a ROTJ suit moulded. Give credit where credit is due. But that was almost 9 years ago. Now Matt has none of those things left. No original helmet, no suit, and no moulds from them. He still puts out some amazing looking things and I am looking forward to the new ANH modifications on moulds he worked on with someone who will be the new armor producer in the future.

It will LOOK fantastic. But ultimately it is not as accurate as the ANH modifications that Gino could do to duplicates of the moulds he has. Gino has the original armor moulds. And Matt has sold his reworked moulds to TE2. So what are the new moulds based on. I dont know yet. But its not an ANH suit and problably not a Jedi suit either. More than likey its based on the tour suit parts and further modified moulds.

At the risk of sounding like Gino, I know why said Gino's helmets are the most accurate. He told me. AND I've seen proof. I know why Matt's helmets are not as accurate. And seen proof.

My TE HDPE helmet is on my desk. And I love it. But it doesnt have the pedigree of Gino's helmet.

Take it for what its worth. I dont want to start a fight with people. But maybe be a bit less harsh and do some more research.

Midnight Trooper,

None of that is up for debate I think we all know what's going on and has happened to some extent. Gino makes nice helmets, I think we can agree on that, too.

What I'm tired of is this constant back and forth between those two and a few others about the same subject over and over again.

What it all comes down to is the details of the molds and someone's perceived idea of accuracy. The history of the molds at this point is so blurred that it's difficult to piece it together. Furthermore, molds deteriorate and not every pull is the same (especially in home setups) So, the first pull is probably going to be very different in some respect to the fiftieth pull. When variables change that much, mold lineage becomes an afterthought.

I own three TE bumpy cap helmets. All from the same molds, made at different times by two different people, and all three of them have varying degrees of detail and consistency. That is the nature of this type of work, regardless of your mold linage.

So, when people start bickering about tiny things, or slight variances on this or that... I'm just tired of it, because all the original Stormtroopers made for the film were extremely inconsistent, so the way I see it, you got 50+ chances of being "accurate".