SB Pauldron prototype done

Okay, here are some pics. The standard blind rivets are temporary; production models will have the correct flat head rivet. The binding around the edges will be wider, he was out of his wide stuff so used a too small binding around the edges so he could get something to me this week. Also, binding will be added around the edges of the neck pieces. The bottom will also be one color, either white or black depending on top color. The "tabs" for the underarm strap will be leather, the ones in the pic are of some scrap crappy material I had laying around.

On to the good stuff; the feel is very nice. Its heavy in feel and nice and puffy. The material on the bottom is soft, and no stitches are visible from the bottom. I am so happy right now & can't wait to have the revisions done next week.

On me

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bottom

Posted Image

Order thread here: http://www.mepd.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

Bring it to the party this weekend, please.

You know it! That was half the reason I told him I needed it this weekend at the latest. That way I can get a few sets of eyes on it to make sure there aren't any additional revisions that need to be made. I'll bring the orange swatch as well.

Hey Seth pauldron looks great.Please don't take this the wrong way,but to me on the white end the corners and the edge seems a little to round to me.Maybe it's just me but the originals the corners seem a little more square and the edge a little flatter.Again very nice pauldron.

Hey Seth pauldron looks great.Please don't take this the wrong way,but to me on the white end the corners and the edge seems a little to round to me.Maybe it's just me but the originals the corners seem a little more square and the edge a little flatter.Again very nice pauldron.

Constructive criticism is just fine, the contour matched a vintage protector which was almost dead on to what I came up with based on reference. It looks like it might be too round while laying flat but when on it looks right.

@ Todd- I'm sticking with the orange that has the texture, its not severe and the color is really good. It seems all the orange colors that come in a smooth finish are too red. I am still looking but for now am going to use the textured.

Constructive criticism is just fine, the contour matched a vintage protector which was almost dead on to what I came up with based on reference. It looks like it might be too round while laying flat but when on it looks right.

@ Todd- I'm sticking with the orange that has the texture, its not severe and the color is really good. It seems all the orange colors that come in a smooth finish are too red. I am still looking but for now am going to use the textured.

Copy that.

At first i was thinking that too (about the corners edge).

But like Sets says, they youse the vintage for ref.

At first i also think the black field corners edge look wrong to me.

But then i look at the vintage ones.

And looksirdroids hd pictures.

And there i can see that Seth got the right thing going on.

The corners, all the way around seems just right to me.

I just think we all have been looking at the standart pauldron, for so many years.

So we think thats the right size etc.

About the orange leather.

Two times ive been trying to make me a perfect pauldron here in denmark, by a tailor help.

I have to drop me project both times.

The orange was either too fat/light in colour but glossy or too skinny matt red.

I got one trick here, that might help too the red smoothness of the too red pauldron, to a better/accurate orange.

On my standart pauldron, there is too red too for my taste.

I tone it down whit acitone (you know the bottle you use for taken colour out of e.g brown shoues to make them e.g white).

I also give my pauldron sun light (but that takes time).

(the one i got now/and youse, is a modify standart).

Regards

Terrific work on realizing this projects Seth, the protoype looks awesome I love how full and padded it looks, unlike those flat cardboard looking ebay versions.

Now, if only I had some armor I would get me one of these in a second. Will availability on these be ongoing or limited to a certain number?

Everything will be ongoing, so no rush. Even if I lose the supplier for some reason I own the patterns he uses and know what materials go into it.

On the note of the "roundness" of the end, after a pow-wow today with some fellow sandies and looking at some reference all together the corners are too gradual, if that makes sense. So by making the corners (away from the neck, the "shoulder end") more severe/making the radius smaller it will give a more accurate appearance. It will make the end look more flat and less round. Overall the in person feedback was good so that makes me happy. Anyway, I'll have new pics with the revisions up soon.

• 5 months later...

Its painfully close, if that answers it. I am doing my best to get it going but over the past couple weeks and probably for a couple more I can't make any promises. I am trying to overcome one last fabrication issue with the arm strap and then the "dam will burst". Its not helping that I am in the process of packing and preparing for a move.

• 2 months later...