AP's New Armor

TD 8733

Flex that part the same with a lip on the side and you'll have a split, I don't care what type of plastic it is

I can show you something that will change your mind Seth

That's what I'm waiting for! I'll be needing a full set for inspection. I actually thought about you when I typed that, but I was thinking along the lines of HIPS/ABS.

Mine has the blue hue as well. I think mine came from the same batch as your friend's

One more blue smurf over here.

0.60 gauge and so flexy looks good, but I still prefer my helmet done atleast 0.80 gauge stuff. That is taking most of hammering during the transportations.

I still prefer my helmet done atleast 0.80 gauge stuff. That is taking most of hammering during the transportations.

I snagged a milk crate to put my helmet in while it rides in the tote. The fit is perfect (FX would be too big) and the helmet is in a protective cage.

For ABS I'd take .060 in a heartbeat. Since the detail loss in ABS is so great, I'd think the thinner the better for something like a helmet.

• 4 weeks later...

That color looks better. I've been on the fence about painting my armor since the beginning. I wish this was addressed when I got my set, but as mentioned earlier it's good to see AP listening to the constructive criticism. I'd take the .60, it looks great.

I'm still anxiously awaiting my AP armor. I hope it doesn't take too long to put together. I'm going to have to work hard to get the bulk done before it gets hot here. I'll take it in .060, .080, whatever works!!!

I feel like a kid in a candy store again

Steve

Look great

My favourite set of armour was my ABS GF (mk2), which I presume is the forerunner to this one?

I had 2 sets of GF and they were superb imo - flexible, great for trooping and pretty accurate. My only experiences with Styrene have not been great as I've seen and encountered cracking on too many occasions

Cheers

Jez

Hi everyone!

I'm slowly getting ready to purchase my first set of Stormtrooper armor, and AP was the first on my list. I am about 6'2" ~210 (and shrinking ), and I think that might be a bit of a tight fit.

I just wanted to ask all of you great people here, what you would recommend . Should I stick with AP and shim if necessary, or go to a set like the TM I have been reading about (wish I knew what TM was ). I really, really don't want to go with a FX set, although that may be my only option. Also, any info on problems with either, or any set for that matter, would be wonderful.

Thanks, and take care

Pat

Hi everyone!

I'm slowly getting ready to purchase my first set of Stormtrooper armor, and AP was the first on my list. I am about 6'2" ~210 (and shrinking ), and I think that might be a bit of a tight fit.

I just wanted to ask all of you great people here, what you would recommend . Should I stick with AP and shim if necessary, or go to a set like the TM I have been reading about (wish I knew what TM was ). I really, really don't want to go with a FX set, although that may be my only option. Also, any info on problems with either, or any set for that matter, would be wonderful.

Thanks, and take care

Pat

Pat, I'd highly recommend the TM simply due to sizing issues. If you look around the forums here, you'll see several threads concerning this, some of which contain comparison pics. Check it out and make up your own mind, but I'm in the same boat as you, size-wise, and am looking forward to owning a TM set one day.

I own an AP. I'm 5' 11' and 190 lbs. I'm probably very close to the max on this one . I didn't have to shim anything though. The only place I noticed a sizing issue is the width of my shoulders. The shoulder bells seem a little tight and a bit of black shows through between my shoulder bells and the chest/back armor. No worries though because my pauldron and pouch cover those areas fairly well. If I were to be a TK, it wouldn't look too good IMO.

Hi everyone!

Thanks, and take care

Pat

OK, I need some advice from you pro's. I have a choice since I ordered my AP kit last month. I can wait for the pure white batch to be formed or I can take an existing set of new armor off of the run with the blue hue. If I am going to get dirty, should I still wait for the white run or opt for the blue hue and get it quicker?

Can you tell I'm impatient??

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the replies (and sorry for cutting into the current thread), and I have decided to go with the TM set because of the size issues, and other problems I keep hearing about with AP, and I was wondering if anyone could help me get in contact with TM or point me in the right direction!.

Thanks, and take care

Pat

OK, I need some advice from you pro's. I have a choice since I ordered my AP kit last month. I can wait for the pure white batch to be formed or I can take an existing set of new armor off of the run with the blue hue. If I am going to get dirty, should I still wait for the white run or opt for the blue hue and get it quicker?

Honestly, in my personal opinion, I would say not to worry about the blue color. I have a set and you can’t tell that it’s slightly blue unless it’s next to something that’s from a different batch or maker. I would say, as others have, that if it’s just a matter of a few weeks wait, why not wait for the pure white? Just my $0.02…

I have a "blue hue" AP suit (I think). I didn't notice until a thread appeared about the AP suits having blue, pink etc hues. Once it's weathered you can't really tell though IMO. Good luck with your build!

Either is great. If you are planning on painting it, no matter either way. If not and the wait was not long, I would wait....but only if you knew the new armor is just around the corner. The blue hue is mild and I think it actually really pops on clean armor. On dirty, it comes across a little grey...not that it's a bad thing, it just matters what look you are after.

There is also a swirl on the helmet with the old sets that seems to be resolved with the new ones. It's not a big deal but its there.

How's that for a confusing answer?

• 1 year later...

Im sorry im putting this back up....i bought AP at the nearly end of 2008,is it already used this material?

Also,due to space and lack of time with it.....many of my parts is falling to the floor :blink: accidentaly,but nothing cracks(from my eyes),and the spot that hits first is one of the thickest.....my point is,can it breaks?? :mellow: :mellow: