Original ROTJ Stormtrooper Background Studio Helmet-Got One!

JoeR

Update:

The moulds are being taken this week, so all being well we could be good to go by the end of the month.

Any suggestions as to the type of plastic etc? Would people prefer a plastic that doesn't need painting or styrene that does need painting like TE's old run of these.

Joe

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I think that ABS would be a better material for making these replicas. I not 100% sure but I think I read somewhere that the original ROTJ helmets were made from ABS, plus its a more resilliant plastic than Styrene and the softer detail isnt really an issue snce the originals were essentially recasts of ANH/ESB helmetds so had much softer detail anyway.

Im no expert on such matters though so I can't be too fussy. I'd just love to get one of these kits

But if the ROTJ helmets were recasts from the ANH helmets(which makes for softer detail) ,and these were then cast from this ROTJ helmet wouldn't it make for an even less detailed helmet? Thats why i would like a styrene copy. I know its a thinner helmet but i'm cool with that, my TE bucket is styrene

Thats not what i said. I said if the ROTJ helmets were recasts of a ANH helmet (which is why the ROTJ helmets appear soft in detail)and then making cast from this actual ROTJ in ABS would make them even softer in detail(which would be a 2nd gen of ANH and 1st gen from a ROTJ. From my understanding the ABS is thicker and harder to pull detail then styrene. Thats why TE uses/used styrene.