COMPLETE - Radio Box Progress Pics

TK-459

Hey.

Little by little I have been working on pack components. I recently wanted to start getting into vacuforming and fiberglassing, and the radio box seemed like a good part to experiment with. After a lot of reference and interpretation, I came up with this so far. Still a work in progress, but I feel good about it. From my measurements, I went a bit more square in the overall aspect ratio. Excuse the cell phone pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A lot of hours can sure go into a single piece, but worth the effort.

Hours indeed! That's looking good. I sculpted that bugger four times to get it right.

Fiberglass is a great option, as all the corners would be sharp 90 degree angles. Plus, you could lay-up the whole box as a complete parts, which you can't do in vac-forming. It's something I'm going to look into later this year.

Thanks for the feedback.

Fiberglass is a great option, as all the corners would be sharp 90 degree angles. Plus, you could lay-up the whole box as a complete parts, which you can't do in vac-forming.

Yeah, those are good points. I'm going to try a few different methods and levels of completeness to see how they turn out. There are a few details which I can't come to terms with yet on the box. One is the ring or raised area that seems to be around the large upper-right knob. When I watch it in the film, the highlights seem to spin around the knob. This makes me think that it is an upward circular bevel, but it's still a bit unclear. I think I will probably do something similar to you in adding switches seperately. Also, in the film, the radio I am emulating has a small half-box area around the lower section rather than a line through the face. I did some photoshop image enhancements to verify this. I don't have the pictures with me right now, so it's a bit difficult to explain.

Thanks, I'm having fun with it.

Regarding the step-tiers, from what I can tell and as mentioned, they are definetely there to some degree. Mine may be a bit exagerated. The original looks more like a lid top around the edge to me. These packs are particularly fun though because there is a lot of variety.

Adjusted Image

Posted Image

MEPD Gallery

Posted Image

The circled areas are some of the areas I have been focusing on. The green circle is the part that is still giving me issues. I think you guys are probably right with some of the knobs you posted with the ring around it. The reflections/highlights in this area are really weird. Washing machine dials also come to mind, but those are a big large.

The yellow is part of what I was talking about earlier. On this pack, there is a bottom holder around the radio box. Not sure if I am going to use this or not yet.

The red shows the circles extending all the way to the edge...more of a cog/gear shape. In the end, I dismissed this as motion blur.

The blue just shows the steps on the top.

Even though I really like the sharp edges, I am probably going to round out most of the outer edges.

that looks really cool!

man, many of us have been looking for years for accurate backpack parts. the last few month and the great work of you, seth, mike and many others will help to bring us a step further to accuracy!

Just finished the silicon with a fiberglass shell. This was the first time I tried either but it came out good. I made the mistake of trying to do a 1-piece shell. I also used cheesecloth between the silicon and fiber layers to glue them together. While the silicon didn't stick to the buck, there was still just enough pressure to hold it pretty tightly inside the silicon. Live and learn. So, I had to cut the shell into quadrants (without cutting into the silicon) so that I could bend it a bit and release the buck. Here is the result.

Posted Image

It still holds its shape so I am going to try to make a box from it, but I may redo this part with a 2-piece shell. Good thing is that the buck is intact.

that looks really cool!

man, many of us have been looking for years for accurate backpack parts. the last few month and the great work of you, seth, mike and many others will help to bring us a step further to accuracy!

Copy that!!!.