New AP armor (pics)

runJEDIrun

Thanks to Mike Harrison (TK-1536) for helping me get it together. This was the first suit that I've ever trimmed up myself. I made a few mistakes but are hardly noticable. It was definitely a fun experience!

These are some TK and TD pictures (recently weathered)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The master at work (TK-1536)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm on the far right.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Almost there!!!

Thank you again Mike. This came out great! {SMILIES_PATH}/td.gif

absoloutely wicked!!!! fantastic armor cant wait to get my ap!!!! was it hard to trim!!??

it wasn't hard but you have to take your time. I was up one night trimming and got careless and ended up cutting off a piece of the bicep that shouldn't have been cut off. Fortunately you can't see it but I have been so happy with the AP armor! I would 100% recommend it.

Weathering? I am never satisfied with weathering. I can tell you it honestly only took me 2 days. But I was up until 3-4am working on it. It is definitely an art dude. I try really hard to make it work and sometimes it's just poo. I did a base layer of Woodland Scenics Liquid Pigment using Braks Buddy's Tutorial, but i left out the yellow ochre, which to me, looks a lot better. I'm not really a fan of the yellowish look, but it works for some people. I then followed it up with natural and charcoal fullers earth and then sealed it off with some unscented Aqua Net hairspray. <------- All of which can be found on Braks site (forgive me i can't remember the link) maybe someone else here and throw that up?

If you need any AP contact info just PM me.

EDIT* I also wanted to add that since this was my first suit that i took part in trimming, I was too scared to do the helmet so Mike zipped through it for me Just go slow...

Awesome armor, Phil!!!

Did you have any fitting issues? Did you have to shim anything? I'm considering an AP helmet to replace my FX, but fear the AP suit wouldn't fit me. The FX suit is actually even a little small ...mainly in height (I'm 6-3).

NNNNNIIIIIICCCCCCEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! work Phil.

One BIG WOW!!! armor turn out. Awsome just AWSOME!!!.

Fantastic cut out, and VERY!!! beautiful and sucesssful weathering.

The pictures are the bomb, a piece off art all the way.

Hope you gonna have many good times in your new AP fortune.

Peace out bro.

Buy it , make it , done it , are it

Awesome armor, Phil!!!

Did you have any fitting issues? Did you have to shim anything? I'm considering an AP helmet to replace my FX, but fear the AP suit wouldn't fit me. The FX suit is actually even a little small ...mainly in height (I'm 6-3).

Well iam a skinny dude. Iam 182 cm high, and weight about 72 kilo.

Ill saw one time they claim that troops are 183 cm, but thats just only some funny stuff.

Ill think they youse people for troops from about 175 cm to 185 cm, or somthing.

182 cm almost screen accurate then, ha ha .

Eny way... Ill think the AP kit can go good looking on a body from 175 cm to about 190 cm. Peace out trooper.

That looks killer. Nice weathering job!

The photo with the BBQ party in the background cracks me up. You look slightly out of place. Like "WTF am I doing here?". You should photoshop a Death Star background in that shot or something.

-Todd

HAHAHA! yeah you're right. It was the Maryland State Trooper BBQ cook out to help raise money for the Special Olympics.

Thank you everyone for your nice words. And Mike, that really means a lot. I've pretty much learned everything about the hobby from Mike, my garrison mates, and the MEPD *(though not deployed yet. I need to attach my kneeplate) So i wanted to thank everyone here on the boards for helping, Braks Buddy the most for the GREAT weathering tutorial.

Now the next project will be assembling an entire ESB suit on my own!

Awesome armor, Phil!!!

The only fitting issues i had were the thighs really. They needed to be cut down because my legs are so skinny. But other than that it fits like a glove. Most comfortable suit i've worn yet!

What part of the FX fits you small? post some pics so we can get an idea. It should fit i would think. I'm 5'10" and it fits good but there is room if i was taller. the length of the pieces on the AP are close, but the chest and backplate fit much smaller than the FX ones. But in regards to length of forearms and legs the AP should be the same. If you are too small you can cut down the thighs like i had to do, and if it's too snug you can shim it. I put some foam in the forarms to keep them from sliding around...Either way it is a great suit that is definitely worth getting. I couldn't be happier.

Awesome armor, Phil!!!

The only fitting issues i had were the thighs really. They needed to be cut down because my legs are so skinny. But other than that it fits like a glove. Most comfortable suit i've worn yet!

What part of the FX fits you small? post some pics so we can get an idea. It should fit i would think. I'm 5'10" and it fits good but there is room if i was taller. the length of the pieces on the AP are close, but the chest and backplate fit much smaller than the FX ones. But in regards to length of forearms and legs the AP should be the same. If you are too small you can cut down the thighs like i had to do, and if it's too snug you can shim it. I put some foam in the forarms to keep them from sliding around...Either way it is a great suit that is definitely worth getting. I couldn't be happier.

The main issue I have with the FX is the amount of black showing at the joints. Bleh. I keep thinking if any of the more accurate suits are any shorter, I'm gonna look like the trooper who washed his armor in hot instead of cold! I'll have to see if I can dig out a pic, but the backs of my knees are particularly bad to me. I know part of the prob is that I'm just learning more and more what to look for as far as accuracy goes, and I'm already yearning for more more more MORE MORE!!!! In the meantime, I'll keep tweaking what I have. I've even considered replacing the thighs with more accurate thigh pieces since that's one of the more visible problem areas to me.

-Tom

Yeah get up some pics when you can. I think i understand what you are talking about. I can't be 100% sure, but if i remember my FX suit correct, the thighs were shorter than my AP thighs now (could be wrong) but that's what i remember. Once you get some pictures up it will be easier to tell.

Yep, the thighs don't cut all the way up to the hips on the FX the way the AP and TE do. Here are a few pics...sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. These were taken before I got my boots, so wearing the boots helps the black behind the knees a little. *sigh* I'll have to save up for AP, if it will fit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A LOT of fit and finish work has taken place since these pics were taken, so it looks a little better now. It's just all that black that makes me cringe.

-Tom

Hey Tom,

I would say the AP armors thighs are longer. They are also a lot more tapered and angled if you know what i mean. If anyone else wants to jump in here and correct me please do. But i just know when i owned FX i had more black showing than i do now.

I sent you a PM.

Hey Tom,

I would say the AP armors thighs are longer. They are also a lot more tapered and angled if you know what i mean. If anyone else wants to jump in here and correct me please do. But i just know when i owned FX i had more black showing than i do now.

I sent you a PM.

Phil is right. The AP cover your body more then the FX. Longer legs ex. Go get it trooper.

The FX *used* to come with better thighs, but sometime after 2001 they switched to the barrel thighs. Not sure why that was, but it was not a good change.

No, not a good change at all. I understand that guys were having to shim them to death, but I had to trim several inches offa them, and they still look like barrels.

Oh well. Once my gf chills about this purchase, I'll be into a set of AP like Phil's.

-Tom

Oh well. Once my gf chills about this purchase, I'll be into a set of AP like Phil's.

Actually that's my recommendation now to average/skinny folks - bypass the FX and proceed directly to AP/TE land.