Feedback on MP-40 Pouches

After posting on the whitearmor.net site, it was suggested I come here also. I have been making 2 slot ARC pouches for my clone brothers (clonetroopers.net) but a garrison member suggested I try my hand at some 3 slot pouches so I am working on a prototype. Here is what I have so far (I actually finished stitching around it just no pic yet). This afternoon it will be dyed and have the sheen applied. I do not have straps on the back of this one but I plan to do a long strap and buckle system so that you can either put it on your shoulder or on your belt. Feedback is welcome as the plan is to sell them. Please ignore the letters stamped into the front, it was scratch leather. Thanks

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I could use a pair of 99.99% screen accurate ones ;)

It will be a shorter list if we just let the people who COULDN'T use a pair of 99.99% accurate ones post on here. :P

Make one that looks great for the belt and has a "cut out" in the back that fits the MR1505 voice amp and I'll buy one for SURE!

yea, I would like for them to be useful so screen accuracy (sp?) is important to me. I take pride in my work. I have looked at the links listed and will see what changes I can make. Like I said, this was just a prototype to get some feedback.

I adjusted the pouch some as I continued to work towards finishing it up. I didn't put all the buttons in as they are expensive but I do have some brass buttons ordered.

I also need to know if a more 'weathered' look is preferred as I need to weather the material before the pouch is molded and stitched.

Here is what I have as of now. Please give me feedback in what I have missed to make it look more screen accurate. Understand, I don't have much experience with Stormtroopers and whatnot as my research has dealt with clone troopers. Ignore the 2 holes in the body of the pouch, I had already punched holes for the longer flap.

A VERY tentative price as of right now is around $70-$75 for a pouch, not including shipping. It may go up as depending on the work needed if it needs to be more accurate.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This are starting to look really nice!

Great work.

Maybe you cut out the flaps and then put them back into place, fixing them with rivets or something (dont know the name).

Check this references from the imperial outfitters run.

That would add a looooot to this pouches.

Also those rivets could go on the buttom.

What do you think?

post-1761-063262900 1276561851_thumb.jpg

post-1761-062868200 1276561859_thumb.jpg

post-1761-059699400 1276615024_thumb.jpg

(I dont really know where I got these picts from, hope the owner and I.O. dont mind)

Saludos

yea, I will look into that. I knew I would need rivets, was going to try to find black rivets unless the silver nickel would work. I will see what can be done.

again, not knowing much about storm/desert troopers, how important are the rivets on the back holding the flaps on and the ones at the bottom? I wouldn't think that they would be seen? The rivets add another level of difficulty so I thought I would ask.

again, not knowing much about storm/desert troopers, how important are the rivets on the back holding the flaps on and the ones at the bottom? I wouldn't think that they would be seen? The rivets add another level of difficulty so I thought I would ask.

Well bro,

The thing is, what target are you aiming for?

There could be two out there: one looking for good quality pouches that may do the trick; and another looking for the ultimate screen accurate pouch.

If you aim for the first target, well, I guess the rivets on the back would not be too important.

But, if you are aiming for the second group, the rivets, sewing, shape, size, color and shape will be a must.

Me for example. I already have pretty decent pouches, and not planning to upgrade unless I find the ultimate screen accurate pouch. Including all the parts, and "mechanics" that the original screen used ones had.

Anyway, I guess if you went for the screen accurate pouch, you could cover the first and second groups at once.

If you are willing to make the screen accurate one (not a replica of a real MP40 pouch, but a replica of the screen used), PM me and I will help anyway I can. Having someone making these would be awesome!

:D

Saludos

Great break down Juan.

I'm in the same boat... I have good pouches already, and would upgrade if better ones came out, or if ones came out that had some "feature" or something integrated into them that I thought was cool.

okay, thanks for the feedback. like I have said, I am ignorate to the needs of this particular screen accurate pouch. It may just take me a bit to get the hardware needed as the rivets I currently have don't seem to come out right. I will keep working on it.

just to check on things that I might have missed in my research. The shape and size seem correc to me. Everything is done by hand so the stitching is only what I can do right now - it seems though that the stitching is done in a way as to not see it from the front. I am not sure how to accomplish this by hand. I can weather the leather a bit and I have the black dye. I have rounded out the flaps and I am looking into the brass buttons on the front.

Now, the rivets - black or silver? the pics linked to me showed silver. Also, I have only 1 layer of leather on the back piece but it seems as though there are 2 layers, is this correct? Lastly, it seems as though there are 2 different types of attachments - the belt loop and the shoulder (with slanting loops). Did I miss anything?

I have what I think are real leather MP40 pouches and mine are silver on the back. But im no expert so there might be diffrent ones.

And as I was looking at the shoulder pouch I found some kind of tool that was in the small pouch. It has been in there for years id say. It was all stuck to the leather.

I have PM'ed you with a short explanation and some input on your project and some ways I may be of help.

In the meantime, just take in consideration that these were made originally in a way that allowed the least work and the fastest production. Therefore the rivets and only a few lines stitched.

I don't really know the answers to your questions, but as I wrote on the PM, if you are willing to go this way, I can share a lot of reference pictures that might help out.

Just let me know.

Im very excited to see how this project evolves!

Does anyone has some more references on screen used or screen accurate pouches?

Saludos.

as quoted from http://www.looksirdroids.com/replica_pouches.htm

"Overall quality/build: By and large, the build quality of original German MP-40 is very high. Tolerances are tight and the final product exudes crispness and quality. The pouches seen on the stormtroopers are jsut the opposite. They are sloppy, with very loose tolerances and have an overall dishevelled appearance"

this makes me feel a little better as I am hand stitching and cutting so it might make it look right, lol

I will keep working and researching this for you guys.

just an update on this to let you guys know I didn't give up. I had to completely revamp my patterns and I have finished cutting out the leather after taking a plethera of measurements from some screen accurate pics that iconoclasta_88 sent me. I will start assembling the pouch today and hope to have a new prototype ready in the next couple of days. I hope to make you all very happy with this one. Not all of the hardward (rivets & buttons) will be the exact color needed as I will have to order them if this prototype is accepted. Look for pics soon.

okay, I have the leather patterns and leather cut out and have figured out where the stitching and rivets go but I can't get a good pic of the rivets. Can anyone tell me if they are a 2 piece rivet or a tubular rivet? I also need to know if the hardware (rivets and buttons) are brass or if nickel will do? Last think, anyone have any idea about the thickness of the leather? I am using a 4 oz leather right now but I think the leather, at least the back part, is a thicker leather, maybe an 8 oz leather. I plan to make a run to the leather shop this afternoon and get the hardware if I can get feedback by then.

okay, I have the leather patterns and leather cut out and have figured out where the stitching and rivets go but I can't get a good pic of the rivets. Can anyone tell me if they are a 2 piece rivet or a tubular rivet? I also need to know if the hardware (rivets and buttons) are brass or if nickel will do?

I dont know if it would help

But the rivets were somekind of cloth rivets,similar on some screen used armor on the left waist(no hole on the center),detailed(very close ups) pics werent available,so it is unknown if its more 'round'-ish or not,brass or nickel etc. If its strong,use it B)

Last think, anyone have any idea about the thickness of the leather? I am using a 4 oz leather right now but I think the leather, at least the back part, is a thicker leather, maybe an 8 oz leather.

You're correct,the back is thicker,it will hold the shape of the overall look.

While the front is thinner its not that thin(note that on the original some were like 'punched' on the bottom),i dont know the differences/types of leather you mentioned though,but on your prototype's its too 'squared' or maybe because is too thick? or maybe because the way you stich it? Its not as 'good' as the original MP-40's pouches

How you get it that squared in shape?

You also might want to adjust the proportions,take measurements from your armor or something and compare it with screencap or stills from the making of the movie.

Overall,so far,reproductions from sci-fire's imperial outfitters is the closest to the real deal to date for this type of pouch(but its just a one run only...till now),you might want to look again the link Nol's gave you and the pics Iconoclasta_88's posted then compare.

Looking forward for the progress B) many sandy's will be happy if you nailed it