Feedback on MP-40 Pouches

...Overall,so far,reproductions from sci-fire's imperial outfitters is the closest to the real deal to date for this type of pouch(but its just a one run only...till now),you might want to look again the link Nol's gave you and the pics Iconoclasta_88's posted then compare...

I also mailed Zadokk many detailed pictures and measurements, so, this new prototype should be very very close to the screen used ones.

:D

This is exciting!

Saludos.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

cloth style rivets would probably explain alot and would work well, I will look into them.

as far as the originally posted pouch, I use a wet molding process to give it that sharp edged look. I now understand that that is the wrong look for these type pouches so the new one will not be shaped that way.

I am going this afternoon to pick up some 8 oz leather to use on the backs so that it will be thicker. it is a pre-dyed and pre-sealed leather which will also speed up the crafting process but will be harder to make the holes for stitching.

thanks again for the feedback. hopefully this will all come together with a satisfactory result.

I went to the Leather shop in New Orleans and spent some time talking with the head guy talking about what I am trying to do and working through some ideas with him and we tried a couple of samples at the store. He set me up with some hardware and 8 oz pre dyed leather (a sample of it) to try. If I can get a chance today, and once it cools down outside (really hot here right now), I am going to try to at least get the rivets and buttons set then work on sewing it together. Hope to have something to show you soon, has just been a busy weekend with the family and all.

Okay, I have finished the latest 'screen accurate' pouch and while I know there is a problem with the bottom corners, I have modified the pattern to fix it. Other than that, are there any other issues that you see that need to be addressed? Also, based on this prototype, how many of you would be interested in purchasing it so I can get an idea if it is worth me buying the materials needed to make them?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

the darker black spot on the back is me testing the predyed leather to see how well it held the newer dye, it would be all black.

If there is interest and no other problems are presented, I will start working on a couple and put them up for sale.

Have you said yet what prices will be?

If you start a run of them, start a new thread in the "Project Run" section (obviously) with prices and pics and everything.

Very exciting stuff!

As of now, I have enough materials to make 5 of them before I have to order more 8 oz leather. I am thinking of setting a 'introductory' price for those 5 to make sure that the recipients are happy about them but I will have to raise the price some to cover the cost of the huge piece of 8 oz that I will have to get plus a leather press (to set the rivets) because of all the rivets. Nothing in stone but I am thinking $50 for the original 5 plus a money back guarantee but after that, I will probably have to charge around $60-65, not including shipping on any of that. When you buy leather, it comes in huge 'sheets'. The 4 oz I bought was literally half a cows worth. Remember, everything I do is basically done by hand but I may be able to speed up the process on the sewing, I am looking into a source for that also. It just depends on the demand, if the demand is low, I will hand stictch, high and I will use another source. I will know more after this is approved or not.

Oh, and the stitchig will look better too (what I do by hand) as I had to figure out the best way to assemble it and I have modified the process a little to fix that.

Okay, I have finished the latest 'screen accurate' pouch and while I know there is a problem with the bottom corners, I have modified the pattern to fix it. Other than that, are there any other issues that you see that need to be addressed? Also, based on this prototype, how many of you would be interested in purchasing it so I can get an idea if it is worth me buying the materials needed to make them?

Posted Image

the darker black spot on the back is me testing the predyed leather to see how well it held the newer dye, it would be all black.

If there is interest and no other problems are presented, I will start working on a couple and put them up for sale.

Those are starting to look really cool!

I mean, REALLY cool!

Can I ask anyone owning a set of the Imperial Outfitters run to give some feedback on this prototype?

I think there are three main things that could be improved are:

-the rivets on the back should be black

-the color of the leather should be super dark brown and not really black

-the loops on the other pouch are different, will you make them like that?

This based on info in some other threads. But I have no proof that shows this.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Definetly put me down for the first set!!

:D

Great project!

Saludos.

from the pics I have been given, that is what the straps look like. There is one that has a diagonal strap set which could be done easily enough, I just need to know what you want. Do most need one of each type, with vertical straps and with horinzontal straps. Here is a pic of an IO pouch that I saw (I hope there is no problem with posting it and I give full credit to IO for the pouch posted)

Posted Image

I have some pics from iconoclasta_88 (hope I spelled that right) that show black on the back but I don't want to post it without permission. I can try to do some type of brown if that is what you guys want though.

as far as the rivets, the pics show them as brass but I can dye them black if needed as I can't find black rivets.

from the pics I have been given, that is what the straps look like. There is one that has a diagonal strap set which could be done easily enough, I just need to know what you want. Do most need one of each type, with vertical straps and with horinzontal straps. Here is a pic of an IO pouch that I saw (I hope there is no problem with posting it and I give full credit to IO for the pouch posted)

Posted Image

I have some pics from iconoclasta_88 (hope I spelled that right) that show black on the back but I don't want to post it without permission. I can try to do some type of brown if that is what you guys want though.

as far as the rivets, the pics show them as brass but I can dye them black if needed as I can't find black rivets.

Yep. thats what I meant... I think I read that the rivets were black, but I cant find any picture of that. Also, I read that the pouches were supposed to be super dark brown but as I dont have one myself, I dont know.

Anyway, I guess you are right... the rivets don't look black and the pouches do.

The pictures are not mine. I got them as reference for another project I had. I guess there is no problem with you posting them as long as you give the right credit and maker.

Most of the reference pictures I have I got them either from the boards, or from other troopers. Many many of them, including my pouches reference pictures were provided to me by Rolf.

He said he was ok with me (or any trooper I guess) using his pictures for reference for other projects, as long as they are used in a proper way. Anyway, I always try to keep pictures given to me directly in a low profile to avoid any misuse... :)

Anyway,

About the belt loops; I would prefer to have a set of three: two with the vertical loops and the other with the 2 diagonal loops + 1 horizontal loop

Would that be possible?

Saludos

About the belt loops; I would prefer to have a set of three: two with the vertical loops and the other with the 2 diagonal loops + 1 horizontal loop

Would that be possible?

Saludos

anything is possible for a price, lol... sorry, couldn't resist.

Yea, it would just be 2 of the same type vertical loop sets which I currently have the pattern for and 1 the other way which I should be able to figure out pretty easily. I could probably throw in a set price for 2 or more. Just need to know if anyone else sees anything that needs to be fixed. I can start making some this week if everything looks good.

well, if no one has any other corrections right now, I will go ahead and make a couple of them and see where we go from there. I will start a new thread in the Project Run section once I have a couple made so keep an eye open for it.

quick question, does any know what the snap strap is for at the top of the pouch with diagonal belt loops or even how long the snap strap is?

This the the one I am talking about:

Posted Image

I figure the 2 diagonal straps are roughly at a 45 degree angle and are shorter than the vertical belt loop straps. The strap at the top with the snap is giving me problems though as I have no clue what it is for or how long it is. Can anyone suggest a minimum length for it for a way you are using it?

As this were supposed to be made by the production art department, Im wild guessing that they added that strap to secure the pouch to the pack's shoulder strap.

But that is just a wild guess. I have no idea if that is correct.

The diagonal straps are like that so that the pouch would be set in diagonal on the soldier's belt to make it easier to get the clips (I guess) or something like that. The d-rings some pouches have were used to connect to the suspenders used by soldiers to carry grenades and other stuff, and to prevent the belt charged with ammo to fall down.

Hope someone can throw some light on this.

Saludos.

just a quick update to let you guys know I am still working on these. I had enough 8 oz for 6 but totally screwed up one, and kinda messed up another although it still might be okay so I am down to 4. I will have 1 diagonal and 3 regular pouches. I have just been trying to make sure things are just right because I know that is what you guys want, lol. I hope to have something to show you soon. I will post those 4 in the reg "For Sale" area and after the feedback from those, I will start a new thread in the project run area. I will also post here to let you know to look for them.

here is some pic of the back sides. I have cut out the front and I am starting to work on it so I hope to have something more to show in the next day or so depending on the weather as it is raining buckets right now and most of my tools are in the HOTTTTT garage.

Posted Image

Looking good.

I do have two observations:

The straps kindof feel a little wide compared to the IO. Or is it just me?

And, I noticed you cut the straps with rounded edges on the end, and the IO set have them cut in a 90 angle.

Dont actually know how it is supposed to be, but I guess if these were rushed into production in 76, they most likely were done with less care and detailing than the real ones. Therefore, rounded edges feel not 100% viable.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Good work there bro!

Pls keep us posted.

Saludos

I took the measurements for the vertical straps straight from the pics you sent me so not sure what to say there. I will double check them though as I could have done something wrong, I am not used to using metric.

as far as the edges, I tried square ends but they looked funny. I looked at the pics again and it was as if they were almost square but rounded at the very tip. I tried to get that look but I guess I didn't get it right. I will square it off and see what happens. There is enough material that I can just snip off a little on the end of each one.

***I went back and looked at those pics again and the measurements are correct. I also took a close look at the edges and they do have a slightly rounded edge, both the IO pouch and the one from Rolf. My rounded corners may be slightly larger but realize I am doing everything by hand. Not sure if they had a leather punch pattern or what.***

Edited to add note

I had the IO's run pouches,but i dont had it with me right now

heres the only pic of it that i got on my photobucket Posted Image:P

I know its not much,but you can see how it 'sits'

The leather used for it is look like a bit 'lighter' on IO's(in weight),especially on the front,i dont know if its totally accurate or not,BUT I LIKE HOW YOURS TURN OUT!! B)

Oh and look how the flaps goes on the original,it looks like it doesnt close well,or its just me?Posted Image

How does it reacts to the heat? :D