Suggestion regarding requirements

Vadersf15t

I know im still a newbie and not even deployed however i sitll see issues popping up with carrying weapons (even if they are fake) in public and **** i own a Cushmann MG34 and i dont like taking it out either since i've been approached twice by cops already. I understand that in the movie they had BFGs but could we not have the requirement to be a screen accurate Binocs or BFG or Dewback Prod? The BFG is major hindrance in terms of cost, obtaining one and then it creates issues with the authorities. And i dont want this thread to start any problems either, its just an honest opinion of where requirements clash with law/ safety of an individual. What happens if one day a TD meets up with a real ******* of a cop and next thing you know one of our members is in jail for some stupid BS. I've read the thread on the guy in Australia and thats really not cool what happened to him you know? and then people take risks getting this stuff shipped from overseas. And i do agree that one must take precautions when having a BFG. I definitley agree with this BUT its still a risk.... just a thought and i really do hope nobody finds offense in this post...

When in armour and at an event i can see absolutely no reason why you would be hauled away for carrying a replica BFG by anyone. Getting to the event however is a different story.

As long as you're carrying it in a bag or container of some kind you should be okay.

The incident with the Aussie trooper appeared to be a catalogue of events leading to his arrest and although bloody stupid and pointless of the Police to continue the arrest and whatnot once it had been established it was a replica costume weapon i can see why it happened. It's only a matter of time till it happens here in jolly Blighty but i'm more than prepared to take the risk and take any BS the police and justice system try to dish out.

Just take care when transporting anything that looks to the reasonable person like a weapon to an event.

Well, it's certainly the case that some places are more jumpy than others. What was the line I heard in Israel? It's one of the few places where you walk into a bank with a gun and they check your bag.

As noted local customs dictate behavior.

imo, the standards for deployment are about making a high quality, accurate sandtrooper. what your local law enforcement thinks of that isn't terribly relevant.

i also never agree with the prohibitive cost argument when it comes to costuming... a costume is what it is, one can either afford it or not. it sounds cruel, but i think it is true.

i agree completely that if it's inappropriate to bring a weapon somewhere, leave it at home. i've run the gamut from no weapon to carrying my demiled sterling down a busy main street. you've always got to make sure you're being safe and responsible.

A lot of times how you troop is determined by the requirements of the event. We all have our gripes about events where our dirt isn't welcomed, and most hospital visits don't allow blasters at all. ****, I sometimes go out without a pack if I know it's gonna be a long day or tight quarters.

As to BFGs, my first BFG was a mostly-PVC MG-15 that cost me $40 and a lot of elbow grease. Surely anyone could afford that. No one said hyperfirm BFGs were required, though they are very niiiiiiiiice.

I have had the opportunity to carry everything from an E-11, Minigun, MG34 and Lewis Gun, while I have never had a bad experience with law enforcement, I agree that the potential for a situation is there. George Lucas (being a historian) enjoyed taking existing weapons and altering them subtley. It added to the believe-ability of the movies. As long as I can, I will enjoy bringing that fantasy world into this reality for kids of all ages! But do what you feel comfortable doing....and by all means NEVER troop alone!!

• 3 weeks later...

It does depend on the event. I've done elementary school events and hospital troops where no "firearm" weapons were allowed (lightsabers were permitted), and I've also done events where space was limited so I trooped sans BFG and backpack (crowded cons/hospitals)........I guess it all comes down to feeling out the event and/or local rules/laws. Common sense and up front honesty can go a long way.

• 1 month later...

No worries Paul, I remember you couldn't resist last time either .

Actually, to preface the deployment page would be great. My apologies for posting here but thought it would enhance our deployment page as evidenced by the poll results.

Hubris never dies.