Hero prototype-New pics page 6

troopermaster

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Paul,

I know you sculpted your armor, but doesn't appear to me that you sculpted your faceplate.

If you don't mind me asking, what was it taken from?

I don't mean to throw around the R word, but it seems like there is a free for all these days on trooper stuff.

Just curious as there seems to be a lot of back room deals in the realm of trooper helmets.

And just for the record, are you maintaining that you sculpted that faceplate from scratch completely and didn't use someone else's as a starting point?

For someone so bent on accuracy, I'm curious as to why you would approach sculpting the helmet (which I'm still not convinced of) to begin with.

Any helmet (or armor) coming from a real deal (regardless of it's generation) will still be more accurate than anything scratch sculpted, no matter how good that sculptor is.

There are several inexpensive helmets out there right now that are easily accessible. I guess I'm curious why you would not go with at least one of them. If you weren't so concerned with accuracy as you always claim to be, then I would understand why. I would love to hear your thoughts.

PS. not trying to fight with you, just to gain some understanding and clarity on what I'm looking at in your photos.

I have some old pics of my sculpts floating around on the .net somewhere which I have posted before and you shot them down. I am not out to proof anything and I don't intend too so you either accept that I have sculpt everything or you don't. The pics of my sculpts are out there but I don't have any on my computer as I am not interested in them anymore because they have been retooled time and time again and are still being retooled until I am happy with them and until I think they are an accurate reproduction of ANH armour. I can see why you think the way you do and it's just hard for you to accept it... that's all

Great looking helmet Paul. Trim the right ear some more though.

I can understand why Gino would think the face is recast. Some of the much more easy parts to sculpt look a bit off to me, but the face which has got to be the hardest thing in the wolrd to get right looks very, very close.

That probably just means you have spent much more time on the face though.

If only i could sculpt as good as you!

I wish you would spend more time on the "hero" ROTJ version or the Biker Scout helmet though, as there are ANH/ESB helmets all over the place.

I have come to the conclusion that no ROTJ helmet has ever been molded, just ANH molds reworked. I would love to be proved wrong, but i've not seen anything that looks even close to the funny ear version of the ROTJ trooper helmet yet.

Anyway, as i said, it looks great

Keith.

I can understand why Gino would think the face is recast. Some of the much more easy parts to sculpt look a bit off to me, but the face which has got to be the hardest thing in the wolrd to get right looks very, very close.

I wish you would spend more time on the "hero" ROTJ version or the Biker Scout helmet though, as there are ANH/ESB helmets all over the place.

I have come to the conclusion that no ROTJ helmet has ever been molded, just ANH molds reworked. I would love to be proved wrong, but i've not seen anything that looks even close to the funny ear version of the ROTJ trooper helmet yet.

Keith.

Javamokey is molding a ROTJ helmet now

I don't think the faceplate mold in those pics look like what you posted at all.

Keith hit the nail on the head. I see a lot of inaccuracies in the relatively simple (compared to a faceplate) shaped pieces of the armor you sculpted which makes me more than skeptical that you would be able to nail down the face like you did. Maybe better pics of the face would reveal flaws in the sculpt that support your claim...or maybe it would reveal tells that prove the opposite.

I suppose the only way to know for sure is to compare your faceplate to a cast off original one.

Keith.

I´m only into anh stunt sand/storm troopers.

So i hope that TM will continue whit he´s awesome anh kit (like he say), to it is the most accurate anh armor you can buy out there.

Maby it all ready is.

Go get em TM, i know you can do it

I think provenence is a perfectly reasonable thing to talk about, however I think it is pretty clear Paul hasn't re-cast a helmet. To be fair I think the face matches pretty close to the mold, it is hard to be definitive with two different pictures taken from dissimilar angles, and I personally think that a mold looks a bit different than a pull from the mold, so it isn't the best comparison to begin with.

This isn't "verboten" discussion, but lets avoid the witch-hunt mentality.

Paul, I think the pictures you posted of your kid helmet mold are proof positive you are capable of sculpting an accurate-looking faceplate. There is nothing out there you could have recast to get that, as it was much smaller than a regular helmet.

Is there a link or something to see this kids helmet and the scale of it, It sounds awesome

Thanks Scooter

this is getting boring now. *yawn*

Paul is the only armour maker that really does have the right to blow his own trumpet but chooses not to, regardless of how the helmet was made. He is the only armour maker out there humble enough to accept "criticism" and use it to improve his work for all our benefit and this "attack" on his work all out smacks of sour grapes to me.

at least i know i can actually get hold of a TM kit.

You said it best bro. Thanks

this is getting boring now. *yawn*

Paul is the only armour maker that really does have the right to blow his own trumpet but chooses not to, regardless of how the helmet was made. He is the only armour maker out there humble enough to accept "criticism" and use it to improve his work for all our benefit and this "attack" on his work all out smacks of sour grapes to me.

at least i know i can actually get hold of a TM kit.