Smally's Tunisia trip.

Smally

Hey Troops,

Well, I'm home from my trip to Tunisia and man was it HOT!

I was only there for a week but did as much as possible even though this was a 'budget' holiday for us.

I managed to visit three of the sites from Star wars ANH which is pretty good considering how spaced out the sites are across Tunisia!

We stopped on the island of Djerba which is north(ish) Tunisia and I was aware that there were two locations where Lucas filmed on the island. I spoke to the holiday rep who was next to useless. I tried to explain where on the island I thought the sites were but she didn't have a clue and even told me "I've never actually seen star wars".... OMG. So my mate and I decided to just hire a 4X4 and go travelling around the coast line in the general area and see how we got on.

There was a good choice of colours for the hired 4X4 so naturally we chose

Posted Image

Located on the small map we had, I found a place called Sidi Jemour which was shown as a temple. We decided to take a look and what we found was......... TOSHI STATION!!! YEAH BABY!

Posted Image

Movie:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Movie:

Posted Image

There were only a couple of very small changes to the building, but the main structure is still the same as it was back in 1976.

Posted Image

After picking up some power converters and taking loads of pictures, were decided to jump back in our land speeder and continue with our quest.

We drove south along the coast and dirt roads for about 5 miles. We were about to think we must have passed it when I saw a very small isolated building just sitting all on its own in the distance. As we got closure I was greeted by an amazing site.... BEN KENOBI'S HOUSE!

Of course, it's pre-special edition ANH, but still much better than CGI!

Posted Image

Movie:

Posted Image

This is a very small building sat right on the coast line. As I was snapping away, a local fisherman parked his car up near to the structure. We got chatting to him and I explained that it was used in SW. He had no idea and was blown away when I got my Iphone out and showed him it on the film! awesome stuff :thumbsup:

He told us that it is now just used for any locals who are near by when it's time for prayer - that's pretty cool really.

Posted Image

A few days later We booked a trip via coach to take us on a two day safari type thingy. I was only really wanting to visit the Lars homestead which was about 4 hours away from Djerba but we had to do the complete tour. This meant sitting for hours on end on a coach visiting various tourist sites :6:

On day two of the tour we visited the small town of MATMATA which is where they filmed the interior of the Lars homestead.

This was simply amazing to see and sooo worth the wait! The site is now a hotel called HOTEL SIDI DRISS. The owners have kept it as original to the movie as possible. every thing at the hotel that is painted yellow are props from the movie which were left in situ for the fans! I took literally hundreds of photos here.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just waiting for my blue milk :yucky:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I filled a bottle of sand from the home stead as well as Ben Kenobi's house and brought them back home with me. I have added the sand to my armour already as I'm back to work tonight and wont have time to do it before CE2. I think this kinda makes TD armour that little bit special - weathered with actual sand from the homestead.

Like I said, I have loads of these pics which includes all of the props etc. I also went into the Sahara desert where they filmed the sandtrooper search segment amongst the dunes. Ill add these pics later :woot:

More pics to follow boys :td:

Thanks Boss. Yeah she wasn't that helpful to begin with. I gave up after she stated that she'd never even seen the film :6:

lol....ya i would have done the same.....unless she was a supermodel or something lol

Wow, very cool indeed. Bucket list: visit Tunisia! Lol

YES! We should have an MEPD Members Field Trip...er...Recon Expedition to the location I mean! :woot:

That would be freakin' epic! :td::thumbsup:

BTW, what kind of vehicle was that? kind of looks like a cross between a wrangler and liberty

Not too sure. They call them.... Wallycars! Lol they're quite small but can take a battering!

Wow, very cool indeed. Bucket list: visit Tunisia! Lol

Lol you gotta do it Jay, it's worth all the travelling.

well done for finding some parts on your own! :yes:

i can only imagine what you said when you came across them lol! :woot:

thanks for sharing dude! :thumbsup::td:

Cheers mate. Yeah it was a great feeling! Loved it!

Cheers for the comments boys ;)

Hey Brad, when does the project run for the sand start? lol

Lol, it's funny you should say that actually. I've just finished adding the sand to my armour (pic thread to follow) and realised just how little you actually need of the stuff! Therefore I should have a bit left over for anyone who is interested. I'll post up a thread for anyone who would like a small tub for weathering ;)