DarthGrace's ATA TD Build

darthgrace

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds to me like you are either buying 2 sets of gloves or borrowing a set for approval.

You can borrow mine. I am not putting the hand plates on backwards.

• 1 month later...

i never heard back on the glove thing so I am going to make 2 set.

Good news, I paid for my armor on Friday. Sounds like I will be getting my big brown box this week. Cant wait to get started on this. I will keep updating this thread whenever possible.

See you on the other side brothers!

I recevied my armor and I started last night. I cut the shoulder bells and trimmed one bicep. I need to sand them smooth.

Preliminarily I put the ab piece and held the kidney piece over my body (I was wearing a t-shirt) and I beielve there is a gap that I am going to have to close. I have a size 36 waist but I am a little chunky and have bigger than average muscle tone for a 38 yr old. Iwas hoping the ATA armor would fit with out shimming the body.

1. My question is this: Should I use a piece of plactic to shim the 1-2 inch gap or can I use canvas? My hope is to get deployed and them continue working to get SWAT approval for a move along TD.

Can anyone past some pic of how they bridged this gap? It would be greatly appreciated.

2. How do I make the button looking pieces that are on the 2 ends and the middle of the belt?

Thanks guys.

I just finished trimming everything except the helemt. I am not touch that until last.

It looks like I am going to have to shim the ab plate/back plate. ATA is not as big as I was lead to believe(the armor not me).

I was thinking that I was going to add a 2 inch piece to each side of the back plate rather than the ab plate. I was going to fill the gap with white kalk(spelled right?) and hide it with the weathering. Does this sound right?

When I build the forearms do I build it so I can slide them over my gloves or do you put the gloves on after?

I am not trying to sound like a jerk but I have some concerns about the biceps pieces. I have them measured so that when I flex my arm they are snug. But when my arm is relaxed there is a lot of extra room. Is this correct? The extra space really sticks out to me.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

When I build the forearms do I build it so I can slide them over my gloves or do you put the gloves on after?

You'll want to build them to allow your gloves to be put on AFTER your forearms... otherwise, you'll be unhappy with the looseness. Just make sure your ungloved hand fits through the small opening before you glue everything together.

thanks guys. and marcus you really shouldn't deprive the ladies of the gun show.

or is it you Brits dont have the bicep problem becaue you concentrate most of your energies on the 16 ounce curls?

• 2 weeks later...

Second post here from another potential TD. I had to say reading your opening post was like reading my own story.

It's funny how similar our time frames and mindsets have been darthgrace. I got my box a week after you, and I've been working like a fiend. I already built my backpack during the 10 week wait. I also finished my helmet about 90% through, but I do not have my pouches just yet. I also picked up a hyperfirm and my pauldron. It's fun to know someone is doing the same exact thing as you are! I was just wondering on the biceps last night. Keep up the work! I know I am.

I pretty much have all of the extremities done. They are held together by blue tape. I am taking them to a troop this weekend to see how others think they fit. Then I will glue them next week. I am going to need to shim or modify the left thigh though. It is too tight. and they both hang down too low (the cover my knees and dont let my leg bend all of the way). But before I modify them I want to get my ab plate in place. Just want to make sure everything is in the right place.

Started my helmet and I need to put the rivets in and attach the ears. Then end is really in sight for the helmet.

you mean the weathering colours,yeah! :thumbsup:

if so ,are you going for acrylic paints?

i actually used fullers earth for mine,its my personal preference instead of paint!

for that i used charcoal,biege and brown.those three coloours are so easy to mix aswell to make different shades!

if your interested contact mike at "trooperbay" :yes:

• 1 month later...

glue is curing on the last pieces of stapping. I have to go out tomorrow but I hope to do a fitting on Tuesday and post some pics.

I have to:

1. paint to helmet tube stipes (already messed up one set of stencils and ordered 2 more)

2. Install the green lenses

3. Weather

I just ordered a set of 3 pouch leather ammo packs but I have 2 small spanish and 1 medium spanish/french pouch. I will attach these to my belt for submission of the others aren't in.

The end is near but I am a bit worried about the weathering process.

Here are some pics. Plese give me some constructive criticism:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My shoulder straps are too long and I am going to use Dirty Boy's adjustable clip method.

My biceps are not attached yet.

My chest and back plates don't have the side straps yet (but they will).

I am going to add suspenders to keep my garters and my thighs from drooping.

I am going to add some foam to keep my forearms a little higher on my arm and away from my wrists.

The male snap shows because it is not covered by my chest plate. Do I need to move it?

Please keep in mind that I want to try and go SWAT with the move along trooper. How does the brow line look?

I am having a problem keeping my helmet down. It wants to pop up. Other than adding a chin strap any advice?

I need to trim the backs of the thighs because they pinch like ****.

Thanks for the help and advice. Weathering starts either tomorrow or Monday.