Moisture Farm Patrol

TD1009

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm makes me wonder what ours would be. Our beaches aren't always warm and sunny, just ask Rob LOL Right?? But when it is nice our beaches rock!!!! Hey Rob should we do one??

I got a name for ours in Oregon. The "45th Moisture Farm Patrol" Portland, Oregon is just above the 45th parallel. Also, "Moisture" sure has a meaning over here. It rains just a little bit.

{SMILIES_PATH}/dance.gif

The guys in Tampa Bay have a similar situation where they have their "Dirty Boys" group.

A few weeks ago, three of us 'WA sandies' actually had an informal discussion about doing something similar inspired by our Tampa Bay comrades. Like td8020 mentioned, we felt it would create some 'esprit de corp' and be a source of help for any local newbies. It was fun coming up with possible subgroup names (ie. Sand Point [Patrol]) after a nearby naval facility, etc...) and patch designs.

So I would agree that a patrol within the legion>garrison>MEPD would be a constructive idea allowing for more flexibility if time and/or logistics don't permit a garrison-wide turnout for a given event and a 501st/MEPD showing was needed on the fly.

I think Patrols are a fantastic idea. Unless there are any objections, I think we should make this a recognized thing within the MEPD. There are a few "charter" type issues I'd like to get votes on. Once the new webmaster takes over MEPD.net, and we get a couple behind-the-scenes things snapped up, we'll move to make this (and maybe a few other things ) official.

For clarification, was the idea that every Patrol would be an MFP and we'd just get to choose our number (e.g. 101st MFP), or that we'd get to choose our moniker as well as long as it ends in "patrol" and has a reference to something from ANH or "sand", i.e.

212th Moisture Farm Patrol

151st Dune Sea Patrol

24th Mos Espa Patrol

828nd Sand Point Patrol

I'd think that the sandy's each garrison would form their own patrol, and the number is chosen by the members of the patrol.

Initially I was thinking of one patrol per garrison, but perhaps it should just be a mod 3 of the # of sandy's in a garrison, e.g.

1-3 sandys = 1 patrol

4-6 sandys = 1 patrol or two patrols

etc. To me it was always about geographic region, kinda like the Tampa guys, or what we're planning on doing.

Just a heads up in regards to some earlier statements in this thread.

Although the 501st Charter does not specifically state that there cannot be more than one Detachment per costume type, that is implied and I have confirmed with Albin and Mark (Capt. of the Guard) that this is indeed how Detachments were intended (one per costume type).

The Capt of the Guard has not confirmed receipt of any application form for the Moisture Farm Patrol. This is probably a moot point now since the MFP is not striving for official Detachment status anyway, but unit application forms are available on 501st.com, under Garrisons > Unit Application Forms.

The smallest recognized units within the 501st Legion are actually Outposts (which only require 1 member). However, an Outpost can only be formed in a region currently unoccupied by any existing Outpost or Garrison (so this would not apply within the USA---all areas are spoken for!).

Any formation of an "official" 501st group using the 501st name must be approved by Legion Command. This is because it is too easy for someone to put 501st on a patch or t-shirt and claim to be something that they are not, especially now that the 501st name is being used in gaming communities (Battlefront 2) and collecting forums (501st action figures, etc.). Having the backing of Legion Command will go a long way in helping to grow and promote a group. Note: At this point, the Legion is not sanctioning any additional units other than Detachments, Squads, Outposts and Garrisons. Groups such as the "Tampa Dirty Boys" or "Kilted Trooper Brigade" are not official 501st units...just groups of friends and they do not use the 501st name in conjunction with their identity or merchandise (if any).

I hope this helps clear up a few misconceptions. Personally, I don't see a problem with the formation of any group as long as it doesn't use the 501st name. By remaining unaffiliated with the Legion, you can set your own guidelines, costuming/event standards and make merchandise to your heart's content.

Feel free to ask me any questions and I will get answers for you from Legion Command. Troop on!

Any formation of an "official" 501st group using the 501st name must be approved by Legion Command. This is because it is too easy for someone to put 501st on a patch or t-shirt and claim to be something that they are not, especially now that the 501st name is being used in gaming communities (Battlefront 2) and collecting forums (501st action figures, etc.). Having the backing of Legion Command will go a long way in helping to grow and promote a group. Note: At this point, the Legion is not sanctioning any additional units other than Detachments, Squads, Outposts and Garrisons. Groups such as the "Tampa Dirty Boys" or "Kilted Trooper Brigade" are not official 501st units...just groups of friends and they do not use the 501st name in conjunction with their identity or merchandise (if any).

I hope this helps clear up a few misconceptions. Personally, I don't see a problem with the formation of any group as long as it doesn't use the 501st name. By remaining unaffiliated with the Legion, you can set your own guidelines, costuming/event standards and make merchandise to your heart's content.

Feel free to ask me any questions and I will get answers for you from Legion Command. Troop on!

Thanks Dean, all great info, clears up a lot of questions. We discussed last night making our group an unofficial group like the Kilted Brigade for all the reasons you stated, being very careful to keep the 501st name off the site and any t-shirts/patches. Maybe in the future the 501st will add a new level that we would qualify for but for now we will remain unofficial.

I'm not sure how much I like some in the MEPD laying claim to the MFP name, I mean it's flattering that you want to have a Moisture Farm Patrol too but I think there are many other cool names to be had and potential Patrols should strive to be creative not all cookie cutter with the name. The Moisture Farm Patrol is what we call our unofficial group so that name is taken. Fair?

Dune Sea Patrol - Pit of Carkoon Patrol - Anchorhead Patrol - Tosche Station Patrol - Jawa Patrol - Jungland Waste Patrol - Dewback Squad (jk) and then there is probably a ton of EU references to be had...

LOL!

don't forget the unofficial sandtrooper regiment - the 69th Dewback Cavalry!!"

Guys here's a thread on a similar subject from last year where i sorta explained the idea, and how it didn't jive with the legion structure:

http://www.sandtrooper.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=196

Basically We came up with the idea of using the designations "regiment" for the units because Squads, detachments, etc were already in use by the Legion ...

I like patrols also..

so if we do this, Please add the 69th Dewback Cavalry to the party!

Ok BTW, even thoough we are talking about these unofficial groups, to me they are more just a play on the characters, and should be exclusive to 501st members only.

that makes them even more unique as part of the group, but not "official sub- units " so to say...?

my 2 cents...

I'm not sure how much I like some in the MEPD laying claim to the MFP name

Sorry if it looked like I was suggesting we infringe on your trademark - if it seemed that's what I was proposing it was only under the auspice of trying to clarify what the boundries of the whole concept of a patrol was, as I believe most people would rather coin their own moniker (at least that was what us in Seattle were thinking). My apologies if it came off as overstepping my bounds or common courtesy.

I'm not sure how much I like some in the MEPD laying claim to the MFP name, I mean it's flattering that you want to have a Moisture Farm Patrol too but I think there are many other cool names to be had and potential Patrols should strive to be creative not all cookie cutter with the name. The Moisture Farm Patrol is what we call our unofficial group so that name is taken. Fair?

Yeah, no offense for using the name as a base for my area. Just ideas. Didn't mean to step on any toes. Thanks for the inspiration. Feels better to come up with out own anyway. Fair.

And in the future for all the holdouts still with the FX lid while everyone else's got ANH, they could be known as 'The Old Contemptibles'. I mean that in a positive way with no disrespect to the original UK unit