Lucas shuts down 'Star Wars' movie marathon

iron ram

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=657448&gt1=28101

A special fan screening of all the "Star Wars" films which was to be held in New York was canceled after creator George Lucas threatened legal action over the event.

Bing: Summer blockbusters

A group of sci-fi devotees had organized a 13-hour "Star Wars" movie marathon for 200 fans in a bar in Brooklyn last Sunday, but the screening was called off after organizers received a cease-and-desist letter from Lucas' lawyers. The letter cited copyright infringements and added that there was a moratorium on public "Star Wars" screenings.

Organizer Mike DeVito tells the New York Post, "I've seen the Star Wars movies about 150 times but never in one long run together, and I thought it would be great to put something like this together for like-minded people. ... What bothers me most is that they waited until the last minute to notify us, so we couldn't get a chance to try working something out. ... It wasn't as if we were making money off it."

More: Daniel Craig stunned by 'Dragon Tattoo' violence

DeVito added that Lucas "has crossed over" and now gives Darth Vader "a run for his money." Lucasfilm did not reply to the New York Post's requests for comment.

Well, technically youre not supposed to screen movies in places of business (dont think for a minute that the bar wouldnt be making money from drink sales off the event) and even if you plan to, you need to get written permission and license it for a screening. Charity screenings often also still need permission / licensing.

Can't blame George for protecting his property.

The Dune Sea Garrison was planning a private screening for our tenth anniversary. No tickets sold, and I believe it was a private theater. Lucas said no and ruined our plans. I have never seen any of the original trilogy on the big screen. :(

My parents are having a 106" screen and projector into their new home, with surround sound (I just installed the speakers into the cieling yesterday). I will have to settle for that and a blue ray player when the time comes. It's not a theater, but it's the next best thing. I saw the original in the theater, but I was two years old and don't remember it.... darn this memory of mine!

I can understand where Lucas is coming from, I just wish he would re-release the origional movies onto the big screen. I think a good bit of people would see it, including me.

• 2 weeks later...