Question for long-time TE owners (Cold weather related)

TD-1536

I got my first TE kit done last year after the cold weather passed and did a bunch of events in mild to warm to hot weather without any issues.

However, this weekend I'm doing an event and the temperature is going to be around 50 degrees, with a wind chill off the Chesapeake Bay that will probably be colder. Last night, I brought home newest TE kit from work where I had been making adjustments and such. It was in a plastic crate in the back of my truck for a ride outside for roughly fifteen minutes. It was maybe 40 degrees.

When I got home, I brought everything in and decided to go ahead and test-fit for this Saturday's event. when I went to put on the calf armor - snap! It was so cold that it became brittle that the strip on the front calf became detached. Now, it could've been I just didn't use enough epoxy, so I re-glued it and doubled up the back.

My question is, has anyone trooped in really cold weather wearing TE stuff and had it just out-right crack? I'm really concerned about the belt as it has the most stress.

Hey, for what it's worth Devcon has actually given me problems too... guess where... the SHINS!

Home Depot has this stuff called "Plastic Fusion", and I'm here to tell you that stuff is the shizitz. I assembled my bucket with it and there is not one screw or rivet used on it. It's been dropped, and bounced down the isles in Wal-Mart with no breakage, plus trooped with outdoors during Halloween that was pretty danged cold. I'm pretty ******* my armor, and I have NEVER had a joined piece using "Plastic Fusion" fail on me, EVER.

FYI- My armor is made from HIPs.

I have found the curing time can vary a bit depending on the ambient temperature, but you have a window of anywhere from 7-10 mins. if you are trying to use it as a filler (I use it to scratch build E-11's) and it hardens enough to file/sand/bond in 10-20 minutes.

It's made by "Super Glue", it's a twin-tubed syringe dispensed creme-colored epoxy, says "Plastic Fusion" on the package backer-card, and I've only been able to find it at Home Depot near the paint/caulk section where they keep all the other epoxies and CA type glue.

It's sells for $3 & change here in Oregon.

We did a troop on December and it had to be in the low 40's that morning. I had no problems with it, I will find out more when I bring my armor up here to Alaska. Than should be the end all test.

I swear if I put on my armor and my leg armor snaped in half I would ahve screamed like a girl! Followed by first rate cussing!

Just out of interest,are you pulling the shins open to get them on (with boots on) or gently slipping them on (with no boots)?

My preference is slipping them on and putting my boots on afterwards to minimize pressure cracking the seam/joint.I use contact cement and have never had any part come open before.

-Paul.

Happened to me once. Fortunately it snapped along the glue seam and I was able to quickly cut an apply some velcro to last me the rest of the day.

I now keep an emergency repair kit in my tote, including:

1. Velcro (both colors)

2. Some strapping

3. snaps

4. Electrical tape

5. scissors and tin snips

6. Spare rivets

Sometimes I also bring a rivet gun too. I haven't been to many events really, but it seems at every one there is always someone needing something from this list.

I also carry some spare CA which is good for bonding small parts. Velcro also works in a pinch. Thanks Paul . Recently I've been using contact cement like Goop to bond things and haven't had any mishaps so far...

Velcro also works in a pinch. Thanks Paul

What happened is some knobs busted off our radios. Not easy to glue & wait and hope it stuck, so we just put a little black velcro and viola! Instant fix in 5 minutes or less.

Velcro also makes great substitute straps in a pinch too...and is a great cure for that pit in the stomach that forms when you realize not all your straps are in the bin. Doh!

Just out of interest,are you pulling the shins open to get them on (with boots on) or gently slipping them on (with no boots)?

My preference is slipping them on and putting my boots on afterwards to minimize pressure cracking the seam/joint.I use contact cement and have never had any part come open before.

-Paul.

I'm crazy... I put my shoes on first, then open the calf to squeeze it on... it does make me nervous, but I do have a thin leg and haven't had any problems yet.

-Paul.

I'm crazy... I put my shoes on first, then open the calf to squeeze it on... it does make me nervous, but I do have a thin leg and haven't had any problems yet.

What the heck, I do what Mike does...**** the torpedoes full steam ahead gang!

Boots first then calf armor, CHEEHOO!

Guns

Yep boots then the calves... I open them a little further each time just to see how far I can push it, a little game I like to play.

As far as an emergency kit -

Large tackle box with just bout anything you need , the above items +

wire

soldering iron + flux

glue gun + glue

rivet gun + rivets

spare lenses & mic tips

pieces of ABS

various adhesives

speakers

etc...

-Paul.

What the heck, I do what Mike does...**** the torpedoes full steam ahead gang!

Boots first then calf armor, CHEEHOO!

Guns

Same here. Boots, shins, thighs, Ab/back/butt, neck seal, ammo pouch,chest/back, pack, slip into shoulders/biceps, pauldron, gloves, forearms, handplates, bucket.

the only glue problem I've had was in the heat

My thighs are solid, so I have to put them on, then the boots then the calf

My armor is not TE - BTW

Yeah, I never had any problems with the FX ABS stuff.

I am just wondering why you guys use epoxy. I was told be TE to use Zap It CA and activator. Also, I dont know how your calf pieces didnt split in half opening them up to get around your leg with your boots on. I slide my calf armor over my foot, somewhat opened, and then slide my boot on. Any other way would definitely split my armor.

Josh