Is this a good buy? For pouches

Well, yes, you can use them. They have the same basic shape as the ones used in the films, but they are canvas and will collapse some. The film pouches were made of leather and were much more rigid. If you reinforced them with something, the only noticable difference would be that they are canvas and you may be able to make them appear more 'leather like'. For the money though, you can get leather reproductions from gotarmor at his website or on ebay and they are reasonably priced and are pretty accurate. The price is a little more, but by the time you have time and materials into making those more accurate you could have bought some decent repros. IMHO.

This site has some great pictures of the MP-40 pouch the "Look sir droids!" and "How long have you had these droids?" troopers had and an interesting comparison making the case for the film pouches being canvas too. The canvas ones from IMA are like these pouches. The MP-38/40 style pouch that is seen on ebay, the Norwegian ones and even the authentic German MP-38/40 pouches seen in the film are different from these. Same site, MP-38/40 pouch page.

I use a canvas MP-40 pouch for now that I dyed and moved the small pouch. Seen here, not the best picture of it but the best I have:

Posted Image

Do do plan to make a leather version but most people don't even notice my pouch is canvas without me telling them. As long as they are dyed, re-shaped, have the small wide pouch moved and weather them, they look like a leather one.

1009 just out of curiosity, how did you make them more leather like? Just wondering because I bought a pair similiar to them and was looking for some tips on making them a bit more film like. Thanks.

CJ

I used wood blocks to fill the pouches, giving them nice square corners, then I dyed them, I used Tandy USMC black leather dye, it's what I had. The dye helped the pouches stiffen and keep the shape when you take the wood out. I troop without the wood fillers but I put them back in if I think the pouch needs to be shaped again like if they get squashed at the bottom of my armor tub.

I removed the small pouch from dangling off the side, it's just stiched on. I put a short piece of wood black in the last tall pocket and screwed the small pouch to the front of that pocket.

I rubbed and curled and wore the leather straps so they would appear used and flexible then I used a brown acrylic paint to weather the edges of the pouch like worn leather.

Up close there's no doubt these are canvas but from standard photo and crowd distance these look good and will do until I figure out how to make authentic looking all leather ones. (I'm working on it)

I picked up a set of the canvas pouches mentioned at the beginning of this post and I'm very happy with them. Haven't decided if I will dye them yet but if nothing else they're lighter than the leather ones. And to a TD any way to cut down on the weight you have to carry is good!

• 7 months later...

theres an IMPS trailer on youtube, and the troopers overbelt looks to be a police belt (altho with the gunholster being the SW veriety, instead of present day weponry holsters)

chances are you can ask and find out where your local police force gets their belts and pouches, for that finishing touch for your sandtrooper (i advise snapbuckles and nonribbed/ribboned pattern belts)

since im in KC, my nearest depot is OMBexpress, any/everyone else should ask the nearest officer where they get their belts.