The new SFS printed helmet

Realized I'd only shown it off over at The Den and on the RPF, but thought I might as well show it off here as well. Recently, a print was made from the SFS scan preserving all the details that are on the original and which was not part of the version that was milled from a block of foam.

This is about as close as you can get to the actual prop, without owning the original. I know it's not a sandtrooper, but still thought you might be interested in seeing it.

To start things off, here's a picture of the 3D scan model:

Posted Image

That was then printed in small scale first to see if keeping all the crisp details was possible before doing the full scale version. You may have seen the pictures before if you ever frequent The Den or the RPF, but I'll post new stuff as soon as I have it.

Posted Image

Hope you enjoy the pictures. Can't wait to show off the cast when I get it... and even more to try my hand at painting it.

I saw this at the RPF... But I most say I am a bit confused with the story of this...

For what I understand, the original SFS was scanned with laser or something, and now you are making a new version out of it?

It looks awesome, just want to fully understand what it is.

:D

Saludos

I saw this at the RPF... But I most say I am a bit confused with the story of this...

For what I understand, the original SFS was scanned with laser or something, and now you are making a new version out of it?

It looks awesome, just want to fully understand what it is.

:D

Saludos

Same scan. The only new thing about this compared to the earlier SFS helmets is that ALL the details are preserved due to how the physical version was made. Printing, compared to carving the piece out of foam.

Well, as you can see, both the mini version and the full scale version turned out great. Just waiting to get my copy. Really can't wait. Gonna be really cool sitting next to my TE fiberglass trooper helmet cast from original RotJ.

Anyway, in case you haven't followed the threads on The Den or the RPF, here are the pictures of the mini and the full scale helmets.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I wanted to update the thread, but has been lost without the key to this place and was just let back in after a stormy night in the rain.

There may be some new updates soon.

Until then I thought I'd post the 2-day paint test the moldmaker did on one of the full scale helmets. It was cast in a grey/green HDPE/PP color and then painted.

Posted Image

I know the grey color is wrong - he just used the paint he had at hand - and the lines in the traps and back are painted a tad too thick. He's mentioned he'd probably repaint much of it later and get things accurate.

Bu still... even with my super slow approach I doubt I'll be able to paint mine as good as this 2-day quickie paint job. Curse my lousy mediocre skills.