Large prop ideas

trooper1

Hey, ever since CV a few of us here in WV, have been coming up with ideas for large props to transport in parades or large CONS. We have a few ideas in which we are currently working on CAD drawings of, but would love some input on other cool ideas in which could be built and still transportable for props. The biggest thing I need is someone with access to screen caps of ideas as well. The guys from Belgium were amazing at what they built and gave us some great ideas. I have a full wood shop accessible, and a complete steel fabrication shop as well.

Ideas??? :DB)

Over here at the Mexican Garrison we have a full size whole Executor Bridge like scenery for our stands in cons. Also an E-web cannon for Snowtroopers...

Maybe a Moisture Vaporator would be a cool prop for TDs and farm boys alike...

;)

Saludos

Ha that is pretty funny because just last week I wrote about this same thing on my garrison board! Same conclusion as you - the large props were great at CV and it would be cool if someone in the US would do something like that!

Here are the ideas I had:

Death Star hallway

Posted Image

Tantive IV hallway

Posted Image

Road block intersection

Posted Image

Entrance to docking bay 94

Posted Image

For TDs I like the road block intersection - thought about a landspeeder there and having an actual intersecton where people could walk through.

Problem for me is storage of the stuff. I do plan on making a moisture vaporator because that is easily disassembled for storage. Already got various pics and a drawn plan for that.

Also like the idea of a life size AT-ST - that would be great!

Sad as it may be for Sandies, I think the Death Star Hallway or the Tantive IV one would probably be more recognizable to the general public as being Star Wars backgrounds than either the roadblock or the docking bay 94 would be. ...love the speeder idea, though!

Some ideas:

Jawa sandcrawler treads / jawas selling droids

Trash compactor with walls / Dia noga

Falcon ramp / gantry

Empire carbon freeze chamber with red lighting / steam

Death star entrance / blast door frame

Jabbas palace

Jabbas barge or the one Luke fights on

Full size speeder bikes

Full size Dewbacks

Full size Banthas

scale Shuttle Tyderium

Scale size LAAT-i Drop ship

Landspeeder

Full size pod racers

Some ideas:

Jawa sandcrawler treads / jawas selling droids

Trash compactor with walls / Dia noga

Falcon ramp / gantry

Empire carbon freeze chamber with red lighting / steam

Death star entrance / blast door frame

Jabbas palace

Jabbas barge or the one Luke fights on

Full size speeder bikes

Full size Dewbacks

Full size Banthas

scale Shuttle Tyderium

Scale size LAAT-i Drop ship

Landspeeder

Full size pod racers

:blink::lol::D WOW! I have thought alot about many of these ideas, the problem is... Where would you set them up.. :lol::lol: You would have to have a huge corner, for many of them, when the background ideas are being used. Not impossible, just alot of room needed. Storage not a problem. WE are thinking about the Cantina, OHHH yes, and the band as well. Trying to find the mask for the band members now... Or making them. working on Lifecast ideas now.

I do like alot of these ideas listed as well. Things we can set up and probably transport to parades. Hmmm, landspeeder, and sandtroopers joyriding in it. LOL :lol::lol: We may get arrested for grand theft Landspeeder.

The Jawa Sandcrawler may be in the works as well.

the Barge would be a neat idea as well??? but would be hard to transport any distance.. Hmmm.

Now I have to find, screen caps with some more of them. :)

The Dewback is also something We want to do as well. After seeing that one from Europe, that would be cool.

Docking bay 94 is also a cool idea... Will look into this as well

I think even a facade to the Falcon in the landing bay can work well. It just needs enough for the ramp, and you can use painted board or even a printed screen for the background it's in / sides, as it would be mostly panels after that. You could also then just change the panels to do the Death Star interior.

One thing I've considered doing for a long time is setting up an optical illusion "set" for people to put their cameras on.

You may have seen these at Universal Studieos in Florida — as well as other places.

All you would need is a tripod with a "scene" attached to it. That could be anything from a model of the Falcon to a star ship, to planets or AT-AT walkers or anything.

The tripod would be "fixed" so that when you, or anyone else, sets their camera on it, it's in the perfect position to take the photo.

The subjects would then stand in fron of the camera, like usual, and when the photo was taken it would give the appearance that Vader's shuttle craft (or whatever else you had on the "model") was looming behind them instead of small in front of them.

Here's a diagram of what I'm talking about...

Posted Image

And here is a photo I found online of one of these tricks... then the same photo marking where the 'line' of the model actually starts. So the people are actually BEHIND the space shuttle... the space shuttle is just a small model that sat up close to the camera.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This could be easily done... and if they were made, they could be given to troops all over the country.

Even with printed images (i.e., not actual "models") you could do some cool stuff.

Like this photo of me and Skutch, for example...

Of course this is photoshopped... but it could be done "on location" and everyone could leave with the big shuttle over to the left. :duim:

Posted Image

could look like this...

Posted Image

I never get tired of seeing TD's in photographs. Nice ideas guys..... I'm in favor of the cantina as well, being a plumber all those pipes and tubes appeal with me......... that AND it's the cantina! :rodian::jawa::tusken_icon::Wookiee1::zam:

Even with printed images (i.e., not actual "models") you could do some cool stuff.

Like this photo of me and Skutch, for example...

Of course this is photoshopped... but it could be done "on location" and everyone could leave with the big shuttle over to the left. :duim:

Posted Image

could look like this...

Posted Image

Oh! tell me more, tell me more.

This would take a very large banner, but I understand what you are saying I think

Would have to be a banner about 10' by 10' though wouldnt it? :D:huh:

One thing I've considered doing for a long time is setting up an optical illusion "set" for people to put their cameras on.

You may have seen these at Universal Studieos in Florida — as well as other places.

All you would need is a tripod with a "scene" attached to it. That could be anything from a model of the Falcon to a star ship, to planets or AT-AT walkers or anything.

The tripod would be "fixed" so that when you, or anyone else, sets their camera on it, it's in the perfect position to take the photo.

The subjects would then stand in fron of the camera, like usual, and when the photo was taken it would give the appearance that Vader's shuttle craft (or whatever else you had on the "model") was looming behind them instead of small in front of them.

Here's a diagram of what I'm talking about...

Posted Image

And here is a photo I found online of one of these tricks... then the same photo marking where the 'line' of the model actually starts. So the people are actually BEHIND the space shuttle... the space shuttle is just a small model that sat up close to the camera.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This could be easily done... and if they were made, they could be given to troops all over the country.

YOOO man this is heavy! ... :D:lol::lol: Not totally sure I understand it, but cool

Question! What does the camera focus on? If you have something up close and far away will all cameras focus correctly? i know I have a Canon D40 and focusing on multiple objects can be done, but other smaller cameras I cant do that with. :):huh:

Oh! tell me more, tell me more.

This would take a very large banner, but I understand what you are saying I think

Would have to be a banner about 10' by 10' though wouldnt it? :D:huh:

No! it would be like the size of a piece of note book paper.

It's an optical illusion so that the "ship" is actually closer to the camera than the people. But since it's closer it would look like it's huge. The trick is just not to let anyone stand in "front" of it... because they'd be behind it and it would ruin the illusion.

The best thing to do would be to make a "scene" that cuts off the top of whatever shopping center, etc. you're trooping at. Then position the camera so that the "sky" above the building is full of ships and tall Imperial looking buildings. That way no one could goof it up based on where they stand.

It's also key to "lock down" the camera position once it's set. So people can put their own cameras on the tripod and snap a picture and it will look right.

Look at my diagram.

The "model" or "scene" would be very small indeed.

FINALLY!

I was looking for these photos with other angles and finally found one!

Look at this...

Posted Image

NOW look at this...

Posted Image

See, the shuttle is actually a model that sits close to the camera making it LOOK huge in the background.

You have to put your camera in just the right place, but they have it all set up for you so it's easy. B)

I marked the red line on both of them to show where the bottom of the "model" is in reality.

Even here in Italy are preparing large section of the prop .... stand Mos Eisley is also building a evaporatoe condensation about 4 meters high

the section of death star see a photo

Posted Image

up the death star in Modena

down the deathstar in Milano

Posted Image