Sonix Victory 75 Radio builds

trooper1

Hey if I missed this somewhere than go ahead and move this. I know on the project thread it had a comment about putting a build topic, and question topic up but havent seen it.

So here it is. Lets see some pics and questions.. :D

Got my radio faceplate and box and got it together.

Here are the pics

I used Plastic welder to put the box together. Drilled the holes needed, and glued the plastic top to the faceplate, VERY NICE!! ;) I then cleaned everything up, and gave it a quick coat of Satin paint. I attached the front to the box with velcro to be able to remove quickly to turn on and off the MP3.

May change this in the future but works good now.

I had some left over pleather and folded and cut to fit, used some of my good spray adhesive that I use on Pauldrons to glue it to the box, then put the strap brackets on, and weathered to match my pack.

The only thing I havent done yet is to put the two speaker jacks on the side.

I do have another question? Is the center hole supposed to be drilled out as well? Anyone know?

What do you think, let me have it. LOL :D:lol:Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I still have the one question on the hole in the center. Is it drilled out or solid? :blink: then my face plate wont stick to the top plastic plate. It keeps coming off?/ :huh: Still working on this one as I type..

I glued my faceplate to the plastic sheet with E6000, and only after that, I drilled and finished it up.

Attached the faceplate to the box using door magnets.

Works really cool.

post-1761-067736100 1298070325_thumb.jpg

Saludos

Great! I just drilled mine out as well. Put screen material behind it, and now regluing to the plate. I have the 6000 I will try that.

The plastic welder worked great for the plastic, but not the plate. ;) I may have to change my thoughts on putting it together and use the magnets. Would be a little easier getting off I would think.

Both you guys have some beautiful looking radios there!

Here is how I did mine...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I used plastic epoxy to hold my facelate on to the .125 ABS back plate I used on top of the box. I then hinged it on one side so it will open to access the MP3 and speaker. A small strip of velcro keeps it closed. All knobs and switches also function, click, turn.

I too drilled out the center hole for the speaker.

Looks great! It's cool that the speaker is used as an actual speaker. Is the speaker powered or does the power come from the mp3 player?

Hey, the speaker is self powered. I got it from Radio Shack about 2 years ago. It was exactly the correct size, and originally had a metal screen. I opted to take it off, cut out 2 shims from ABS to hold it off of the plate and then glued it down on top of the mesh cloth. Just the edges

turning the speaker a click right or left turns the speaker on or off.

The MP3 player controls the volume. It actually works great. If you need one I can check to see if they still have them. Just a mile away. PM me if you want me to check.

Thanks guys, I hope to see others builds even better. As for the vinyl leather. I wanted to keep it like the original radios, but if someone can show whether it wasnt there would be interesting. This was actually part of the original radio build, so I figure it was there, but ???? ;):) I used alot of Juan's reference pics, and watched his build closely. Also a very nice build.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jay, just wondered if you could explain how you put the pleather around the radio?

I have the pleather but I am just not sure how much to use. Did you double it over completely? Or did you just double over the edging? What kind of glue did you use? And did you glue the resin strap holders to the pleather?

Jay, just wondered if you could explain how you put the pleather around the radio?

I have the pleather but I am just not sure how much to use. Did you double it over completely? Or did you just double over the edging? What kind of glue did you use? And did you glue the resin strap holders to the pleather?

Ok, what I did was to measure the box width first, then add 1/2" to the width for the fold.(You can add an inch if you want and cut off the extra later if you want, same with the length) I then measured the length all the way around the box. I then cut out the piece. I then sprayed Camie 373 Spray adhesive carefully to the side of the pleather and folded the side carefully onto itself making sure just 1/2" of overlap is used. (Just like any spray adhesive you have to let it tack first, NOT DRY, just tack) I used something heavy to flatten the overlap until dry.(About 10-15 min or less) After dry I then started on one side and sprayed both the pleather and the plastic with the adhesive. Let tack, and installed (Let dry for 5 min, and then do another side, repeat 4 times. Trim excess after drying, and ready for the resin strap holders. ( I used Devcon Plastic Welder for this) thats it, ready to go. :D

• 1 month later...