How Dark Should the Green Lenses Be?

maj_hassel

When I received my ANH based helmet a strip of green acetate-like film was provided for the lenses. This material is the same as seen used for the SDS helmets.

To me it seems a little too transparent. If I look at myself in the mirror while I'm wearing the helmet I can see my eyes.

On my other helmet, which came with the same material, I used the green film on top of a smoke colored strip of plastic I had left over from an old RT-Mod helmet. This afforded me the right level of opacity but, unfortunately, I don't have any more of the smoke colored plastic.

I'm curious, how transparent are the lenses on other troopers' helmets. The helmet I'm building now is for a Sandtrooper and I'm wondering if their lenses were lighter than the rest of the ST's. When I look at the movie, all of the lenses look black.

Well you don't actually get to see a close up of the helmets in the movies,but if you looked close enough I'm sure you would see their eyes.

Originally they used the green film that covers disco lights.You should be able to source some of this locally,but if not I can supply you with some.

If you want it darker then try doubling up on the film,it should do the trick

-Paul.

You can buy the green gels at virtually any photo supply store. If one layer is not dark enough, use a second layer. I prefer to gels to hard lenses for two reasons. One: they are easily replaceable. Two: since they aren't glued in and around the eyes, only held in place by pressure, there are gaps (just as we see in the movies) so air can get in which is nice.