501st Double Standard?

IanL

I apologize in advance if I hit on a touchy subject here, but you guys have welcomed me and I have a particular vent that perhaps we can discuss here between both 501st members and prospective members.

Let me start off by saying this site has been immensely helpful, and I am happy for the opportunity to post and read all of the helpful advice here.

That being said, as a prospective 501st member (read: no completed costume, and no TK number assigned yet), I am running into a lot of resistance trying to get hints and tips to complete my costume. I originally sought out to build a snowtrooper outfit, as the plastic reqirement is less than a TK. Plus my size makes fitting an ebay suit of TK armor somewhat difficult. Unfortunately a lot of good resources for piecing such an outfit together are forbidden from me since I am not an official 501st member. There is an official snowtrooper Yahoo message board that requires the 501st membership to access. No exceptions. And herein lies the double standard. I could take the easy way, join the "jumpsuit brigade" for the sole purpose of acquiring a 501st designation, and with no other ambition to use that specific outfit. Or I could put my time, effort and money into the costume that I would like to have but be completely in the dark with advice and feedback on my costume until it's too late. I understand the 501st's motivations to keep out the "riffraff" who are not sincere about participating in trooping events and such, but it leaves guys like me high and dry.

Well that's my rant. I was fortunate enough to be offered an almost complete set of TD armor from a guy on the Florida 501st board who used to be my size, and I may join the 501st as a TD first depending on how things come together. That being said, I hope this website keeps up with the great information for us newbies, and can help create an entire legion of awesome desert troops.

Well, I have learned that some are unwilling to share information, though, for the most part I have not really experienced such a mentality in all the forums I frequent - here for instance I find that people are easy to talk to and willing to share their information with others. I usually find that those who know, but won't share are really not worth talking to anyways, since they have put themselves up on a piedestal and expect people to praise them for their knowledge... which they won't share.

I enjoy the friendly atmosphere in here. Very open and pleasant and welcoming. Keep it up and more will come and then all those who want to keep info to themselves can just sit in the corner and sulk. ,)

I don't think it's so much a "double standard" as it is protecting the identity of armor makers. Keep in mind that the sale of any replica armor from Star Wars is a copyright infringement with serious legal consequences that have been seen put into effect. Lucasfilm has been kind to the 501st by turning a blind eye to our operations because we do not openly advertise armor sales and because we volunteer for a lot of promotional and charity work.

My suggestion is always to identify your local 501st members (through 501st.com) and actually go to events to meet them. Introduce yourself, tell them that you really want to get involved, help out with some local events and a "handler"...and doors will magically open for you.

Garrison Carida has set up an academy for perspective members, does Florida have something similar?? I know we have some members here from Florida, let's help IanL out if possible. I know we have some people here who have completed Snowtroopers. If you can help, please PM IanL with any helpful advice/info.

Thanx for the offer 6025!

I am a member of the Florida 501st board, however being Florida, there is not much interest in snowtrooper costumes. I know I can't figure it out either. I also recently joined the New England message board. I have put together or have a line on getting most of the items (hard and soft goods), right now I am looking for some tech support on putting everything together, and maybe some advice on the little things that complete the costume.

I also do not mean to pollute this board with talk about other costumes, so feel free to PM me or email me at expedition03.daddy@gmail.com.

Thanks for giving me a forum here to speak, and Rule!

Actually, there has been allot of discussion on the Florida boards over the last couple months about Snowtroopers. Most of the discussions are about how hard it is to find the "hard" armor parts. Skaught (The Florida Garrison CO) has a Snowtrooper, and is always willing to help anyone out with whatever they need. He even opens up his house for armor parties occasionally. I know that when I first wanted to get in the 501st I had a couple people help me out immensely. And I do agree with the showing up and being a handler bit. We have a few people in the Tampa Bay area who are working on costumes right now that have showed up to almost every event, armor party, and get together over the last couple months, even without a costume. It goes a long way to show a high level of commitment and strong desire to be involved.

I think a lot of the resistance is because we've all seen people really gung-** at first, and then just drop off the map or never help themselves get things done. We all love to help prospective members, but this is mostly a hobby - then a club. If you can't be somewhat adept at the hobby, how can you really join the club?

There are still plenty of resources on the net for finding things outside the 501st.

Belive it or not, the net may be a better resorce. The best help I have gotten has been here and another board with guys from the UK mostly. I have had preaty much 0 help from the garrison in my area. Just build the most awsome armor you can and show up to an event when your ready and blow them away.

• 1 month later...

I know its a long trip for you but if you can ever make it down to one of the Tampa Bay Armor parties we can help you assemble in the 2 i have held at my house we have built 2 complete TK's dirtied 4 sets of armor, and built a clone....amd when scott is there he is one of the best snow troopers and is very fre with advice and will help you assemble and give you advice on anything you need...you can also PM SKAUGHT off the fl501st forums

I didn't have any trouble at all. In fact my Garrison was extremely helpful in assistance and tips prior to my official application - I was allowed to attend meetings, events and armor parties, as well as networking witrh several people around the net. I highly recommend putting the word out on the various non 501st required boards and make some networked contacts. Where there is a will, there is a way. It took me almost 7 months to get my TD made, but it turned out well and I am looking forward to going on to more types. Good luck with your quest.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys ,I'm just a noob here but so far in the last 4 days I have had alot of advice/help to find what I need to build armor. Everyone I have talked to has been great and I look forward to meeting more of you in person . Can't wait to get "dirty" thanks for the help -shawn