Help with weathering

Chunk

Last week there was an awsome completed TD set of armor for sale on the main boards. I was lucky enough to buy it... Or so I thought. The guy posted pictures of a weathered suit for sale. I spoke with him very quickly & we agreed on a total price. But then he started to paint the suit white :unsure: I told him to stop! We wanted the suit just as it was in the pictures. Well it came today :huh: Seems the helmet & the lower body (front & back) are all thats left from the original weathering job.

I've been reading on here about lots of peoples weathering techniqes. But alot of peoples pictures are no longer up. The weathering looks to be of light brown spray paint. I was going to attempt to replicate a matching weathering. But if not. Im gonna turn everyone here to help me out. :td:

Sorry, did you say that the bloke was selling you a TD, one you commented on, and said how good it looked? Then he painted it? That is very strange.

It shouldn't be too hard to match. And yeah, we're here if you need us. Maybe the guy you bought it from would even let you know how they originally did it...

That is a weird story for sure! :huh:

Hey Joe,

How are you doing bro.

Sounds to me like the guy had a TD, wanted a TK, started painting it white and didnt like the result. So then he put it up for sale with pictures of the original TD...

Anyway... What better than a personalized weathering for your own armor.

I have always thought and said that weathering is personal and gives armor its owners character. We are not identical TKs, we are TDs and we are individuals with different personalities!!

:D

So... dont worry, we will help you out.

One thing that could help a lot is, could you post some pictures of your armor at present state?

Im sure we can figure out the best way to make it great!!

Saludos.

Hey All,

Well Im pretty good at prop making & weathering my blasters & large guns. So I took on the challenge today to weather my wifes TD. I started with the legs & arms. I decided to go with the colors of spray paint that the original owner used to weather the TD. I used Krylon, Khaki & Almond. I had my wife take a few pics during the process. I started with covering the entire piece I was working on in the Khaki. About 15min later I sanded all the paint off. The Khaki stayed in the dings & scratches. Looked good, but was the color of moist mud. I washed with warm water & dish soap, dried & I was ready to paint the next coat. Now I gently sprayed a lite coat of the Almond. Let dry & sanded off. The end result was a very realistic looking sand paint job.

All the pieces came out awsome. But the torso from the original weathering was too dark. So I took some coarse sand paper & began the job of taking down the old paint. I managed to get it matching the new weather job perfect. Finished it off with fine sandpaper. Just a lite sand job on the helmet & now the whole suit matches. It took me 12hrs straight to do the weathering. It was a nice day & I got sunburned from being outside for so long. But I guess if your gonna be a sandtrooper, your gonna have to get used to the sun.

I'll take pics tomorrow. I wanna go to the fabric store & buy some beige colored fabric to use as a backdrop for the pics. :td:

That does look good bro!

I'd say ad a bit more weathering though, looks to me the bucket is dirtier then the armor. The pauldron an pouches look good too. Just my opinion :)

Thanks Eric, Hey you going to SDCC?

The pics make the helmet look darker. But in person the helmet matches perfect. Next week Im starting on her backpack. :td:

Here's a quick "helpful tip"

As I was getting her dressed for the pics I relized I forgot to weather her boots. So I threw some water on them & had my son sweep some dust on them. The effect was a perfect matching weather job with real dust. :td:

Here's a quick "helpful tip"

As I was getting her dressed for the pics I relized I forgot to weather her boots. So I threw some water on them & had my son sweep some dust on them. The effect was a perfect matching weather job with real dust. :td:

If you could come up with that much dust bro, it might be time to do some summer cleaning.... :D

I sure as **** am going to sdcc! I wouldn't miss it! You going too right?

Yeah, we'll both be there on Friday the 23rd. Hopefully I can get her approved or she'll (we'll) be standing off to the side of the 501st booth :unsure: