Painting gordons Ciston

Darth Voorhees

So i got one of gordons cisterns, its awesome, but i cant seem to get paint to stick to it. the slightest little bump and the paint comes off. Anyone have one of these and manage to get the paint to stick? ive tried primer, and clear sealer, nothing seems to work. Anyone have any ideas?

And prime it too with plastic paint primer if you didn't do that...

I'm hoping to get mine and have it painted by next weekend, so I'll post on here when I paint with a full report.

Thanks guys... i did sand it but it was a quick sand, maybe i need to sand it more. I do think it probably is a petroleum based plastic. As soon as i saw it i was like..hm,this may be a challenge to paint. i can strip it down with acetone, maybe that in itself will help. And i'll use the krylon fusion for plastics. see how that works out. thanks again guys!

I will hand brush paint mine whit humbrol, i have paint my complete pack whit humbrol, and it stays on solid.

I hope the humbrol will stay on this one as well.

If not, i might either light sand paper it a bit.

Or use use terpentin, or acetone to take some of the gloss off, so the paint will stick.

Ok, i think i got it to work... Acetone did nothing, so dont bother with that lol. Buti sanded it all over with 180grit sand paper and then with 400. then i primed it and wet sanded it with 400wet dry sandpaper and re-primed. Looks like its sticking :D

Im with Rolf.

I think that Humbrol will do the trick. After all, that paint is specially developed for painting plastic. A little sanding prior to the paint wont hurt.

Ill let you know how it went when I get mine.

Saludos

Im with Rolf.

I think that Humbrol will do the trick. After all, that paint is specially developed for painting plastic. A little sanding prior to the paint wont hurt.

Ill let you know how it went when I get mine.

Saludos

Thanks bro.

I will do that on mine real soon, just need to modify it a little bit before i paint it.

Like cut the small top piece off, and one of the top dots on the round side area, plus add the rings on it.

Pics up soon :)

Here are a few pics of my Syphon from Gordon.

I trimmed out the plastic between the tube and the flange so it is open.

Sanded the whole thing with a medium grit first, then a fine grit sanding block.

Then I wiped the whole thing down with alcohol wipes (we use them to clean fiber optics at my job).

Glued and riveted some zip ties to simulate the stacker edges.

Then I shot it with Plasti-Dip. I swear by this stuff. It coats evenly and sticks great!

It will get a few more coats of Krylon Fusion for plastics and then it will be done.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is a side by side of the UK Syphon I finished last week and Gordons. The UK one is slightly shorter and actually comes apart into three pieces.

Posted Image

Awesome man!

I love the zip tie look.

It's much less "raised" and looks really slick.

Never used Plasti Dip, but may look into it. Gonna try and get mine done (if, Lord willing, it arrives soon enough) by this weekend.

That UK one is good, but DUDE... that shows how good Gordon's really is!!!

Yeah, the UK one is nice but Gordons find is AWESOME. Way more accurate. I will be using Gordons on my new pack build for sure.

Home Depot or Lowes sells the Plasti-Dip for about $4-5 a can. I used it as a base on almost all the parts on my pack.